Author Topic: Mt Gambier MFS doing RCR for 30KM  (Read 13569 times)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Mt Gambier MFS doing RCR for 30KM
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2007, 07:53:53 PM »
Hi guys, been reading posts on here for some time & after reading this topic thought I'd better comment. First sesrescue rescue5271 had already said what a great job we do so don't get so defensive, Second I was at a conference where this(Mets taking over RCR) was mentioned by their Unit Manager & everyone there told him it is not a done deal & as was mentioned in previous posts there is a process that must be followed, Third bajdas from what was said at the conference they were planning on attending incidents as rescuers & paging their retained as fire cover - ergo after hours the retained guys would have a truck with a full RCR kit (normal retained trucks don't- combitools don't meet the standard) be trained & as you may very well know the number and types of tasks impact our budgets. So eventhough it sounds like a great idea in Adelaide, I would be concerned if I was the UM @ the Mount. Finally recent experience up here has shown that just because you are paid does not guarantee full crews (Retained), remember you need 3 rescuers plus fire cover for RCR. So If it was a full time 24 hr a day seven days a week service fine, but as its not leave it be.
Anyway those are my thoughts cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2007, 12:14:36 AM »
The reference to the Paid response from the Mount, was in regards to the staffed day shift crew. - Which unless tied at another job/unavailable, is gaurenteed.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2007, 11:22:54 PM »
Yep understand that & on the surface it makes sense. However fully equipped RCR resources are expensive to equip & train so in this era of cost cutting & avoiding duplication it doesn't make take too much imagination to see what is the next step. Having recently taken over a unit which @ the time did not and could not meet the standard, I among others seriously considered handing over RCR to the local MFS brigade (retained)so I have no issues with Mets doing RCR not until you look at other issues - lack of crews, priorities etc. So back to the Mount,Day time no dramas if in town What happens at night? Why use SES if a fully equipped Red truck is sitting in the shed? What happens if the day crew is already committed to other tasks? Use retained How many retained are at the Mount? Is the cap going to be increased? Use SES - Will local SES members stay if they know they are only playing second fiddle to payed emergency services & only at night and on weekends? Will SAFECOM ensure SES local equipment levels are maintained if they are not being utilized? I'm not sure that many people outside of SES RCR units realise we have gone through a lot of pain in the last few years to lift the bar so to speak in training & equipment. All members of RCR teams must do the new national competency course for RCR & we must resit for assessment every three years. And before anyone mentions the logbooks as someone who did the course on logbooks its not as simple as it sounds. Also every unit in East region has been audited against the standard and obviously any deficiencies must be rectified. So considering all of the above, Why would a unit who only conducts RCR operations when others can't- bother? Remember the reason vollies do emergency service work is not tied to pay levels & for most of us it costs us a lot more than non vollies realise ( including the minister & CEO's). So I understand why the guys in the Mount are a tad nervous & what looks like a simple solution on the surface has some implications which may turn around and bite if not carefully thought through. Cheers Chook
Ken
just another retard!

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2007, 12:11:30 AM »
You raise some valid points, and im not disagreeing with any of them.. - Not speaking for any one else, but my own opinion was that if their was an incident requiring rescue, within 30 km of the mount, and the fulltime crew was available, that it was my opinion they should be tasked.. (Along with which ever vol. agency covers that area also).

Only because they are there, they are available, and even if it was only day time mon to fri, a truck enroute is exactly that..! And those few mins saved can make a big difference.

Obvioulsy things would need to be worked out during the other times, as you stated, and that is where it would probably revert back to the local agencies who are probably slightly closer than that 30 km from the mount.

I don't think the 'second fiddle' issue would be too bad, as they would still be responded initially, but with the perm. truck tasked also (just ensuring a response).

Again, this only solves an issue for mon - fri during the day, and only if they are available, but at least during those times, if the system I mentioned above was in place, at least a truck would be going.

Im not sure how that would effect the agreement with the town coverage, I would assume it would go to retained till they were back in town?.. But who knows, they may have to stay and cover the town?.. Not entirely sure how it works down there.. My suggestion was just that if the Rescue was available, then it may as well be sent, as it is atleast getting a resource enroute while waiting for the vol. agencies who were paged.

:-)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2007, 12:07:56 PM »
My thoughts exactly, if managed well dispatching the fulltime crew makes sense. Just going from past experience - things are never managed well & there is definitely some "history" down there, when this issue was raised at the conference, I didn't think it was a bad idea, until all of those issues I mentioned previously came up. And then it was quietly mentioned about something that happened in the past - couldn't find out what exactly or when (you know these things can go on for years in country towns & no one knows what started it or why). Up here we work well with the Mets (we even take turns on who is going to baby sit the scene until the towies show up), but in the past there has been some bad blood; usually caused by strong personalities, lack of understanding of how each other works & yes a bit of empire building. As I have said previously I was considering handing the RCR role over to our local MFS brigade, until we did the SWOT analysis (strengths, weaknesses, outcomes, threats) & the problems outway-ed the benefits. So I guess that all of those things need to be considered,open & honest communication with all of those involved & then proper detailed planning initiated prior to any change. As an aside this process needs to be conducted for all of the emergency services, in all areas of the state as a matter of urgency. As things currently stand there isn't a clear plan & those things that were promised when SAFECOM was formed (reduced duplication, clear direction etc) just hasn't occurred. For example if you read the Green book (RCR directory) it states that combitools do not meet the standard, yet my backup unit according to the directory is the local MFS (which I don't have a problem with)- but they don't meet the equipment standard. So when I need back up or default the page I call the closest SES unit which is against what the directory states - could be a source of conflict? These are the issues that need to be dealt with in a holistic way prior to any change down the Mount or anywhere else for that matter. Sorry for the long reply, just there has been too many knee jerk reactions in the past, which we all pay for eventually. - chook
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2008, 03:49:52 PM »
MESSAGE ONLY : , SCANIA IS NOW SETUP AS A RESCUE AND IS NOW 709, EVERYBODY WILL NEED TO FAMILIARISE THEMSELVES, LOCKERS HAVE BEEN CHANGED AROUND TO FIT EXTRA GEAR, ISUZU IS NOW 701, WOODY MFS Mt Gambier Response

So will this upset a few in the orange apple cart? Or did they work everything out in the mount?
Lt. Goolwa CFS

uniden

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2008, 05:30:20 PM »
Really nothing has changed. SES are still primiary rescue MFS have just upgraded to the gear they are meant to have as secondary rescue. Fairly important considering the population of the area and the coverage area of the SES.
Quite likely that more than one MVA can occur at the same time, or multiple entrapments which has happenned before.

rescue5271

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2008, 03:36:37 PM »
Gambier SES is now also doing RCR cover into Victoria due to a unit taking a break due to low numbers...........

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2008, 04:53:09 PM »
How does the response procedure work or brigades/ units that respond over the border?

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2008, 05:04:52 PM »
Similar to Broken Hill SES covering a northern part of SA.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2008, 06:21:51 PM »
How does the response procedure work or brigades/ units that respond over the border?

Jump in the truck and drive over the border.  haha

GRN works for about 50km? over the border.

Basically a call will come in either to vic fire or whoever ses use and they will respond whoever is setup in their CAD system. So im guessing mt gambier is setup for a bit of vic.

Donovans CFS also dual respond with Nelson CFA due to low numbers in Nelson.  Not sure if this is done via VicFire or through a local setup.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2008, 06:27:37 PM »
ok thanks

so is it like i ring vicfire who ring Adelaide fire or can vicfire trigger SAGRN pagers

uniden

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2008, 08:32:57 PM »
Vicfire would direct all calls through MFS comms for paging to CFS and SES units.

rescue5271

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2008, 08:03:17 AM »
Vicfire will call our alerts here in Naracoorte and they will ask us to page XZY brigade and what ever the job is,our group has a very close  working relationship with CFA.Naracoorte rescue will now go into Victoria up to 50/60 kms for RCR cover due to low numbers of SES at Edenhope,we are able to talk to local groups and Vicfire on VHF.Works well but sometimes CAD gets it wrong and I have had a VICFIRE member call me at home to see whos area it is ,,, Cad can and still does get it wrong CFA now have in place a system where we are able to make sure its updated every few months via the CFA regional office.....

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2008, 05:54:20 PM »
Is the system broekn - No

Have there been issues of no response from SES - No

have MFS had more than one job at once (including an RCR) - Yes

Should the two services work together to provide the best service to the community - Yes

Does the RCRRD allow for 1st and 2nd rescue to cover shortfalls, two incidents, other commitments - Yes

need for change - NONE
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2008, 09:52:41 PM »
Well said mate, just come home from another meeting where this was mentioned - nothing is going to change was the very loud message. For those who keep bring this up - build a bridge! There is no need to change, there is no desire to change (by most anyway), so instead learn to work together, respect each other & stop this crap!
That applies to all sides.
said enough cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline MBKR19

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »
Yeah, well said oz fire.  If there are 2 services working together well then we shouldn't try to interfere. they do a great job, leave them be.
First in, Last out.