Author Topic: NEW APPLIANCES  (Read 5689 times)

rescue5271

NEW APPLIANCES
« on: May 27, 2005, 04:06:46 PM »
How many people would like to see the CFS make prototype appliances say  1x24-1x14-1x34, aswell as a pumper give it a good testing in each region and give volunteers a chance to have there say then take back all the information and put it into good use??

The CFA do it and it works well..

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
Re: NEW APPLIANCES
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 08:57:51 PM »
Not really sure Bill. I think that the CFS has to go away for prototype appliances and stick to what is available 'off the shelf' now. It seems a bit like everytime a new appliance is required for the CFS we need to reinvent the wheel. Time to just look around at what other services use and see whether it's appropriate for our use.

I think that CFS is now recognising that each region has differing needs and equipment may in the future be region specific. Say in Region 3 and 5 water supply is a constant concern then the majority of appliance may end up being 34's or bigger, where in Region 1 and 2 there is a need for some smaller appliances for the hills trails and a more significant urban interface leading to different appliances in thoses area. Hopefully it will produce a more relative and common sense system instead of a one size fits all system which we've seen in the past
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 03:54:06 PM »
It seems a bit like everytime a new appliance is required for the CFS we need to reinvent the wheel. Time to just look around at what other services use and see whether it's appropriate for our use.
Exactly James. eg, why aren't the CFS using the same Scania pumpers the MFS have?
-It seems like the CFS doesn't want to be seen with the same looking appliances as another service... even if it is a different colour...

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 10:44:29 AM »
There is some merit in prototyping appliances. However in more cases there will always be a stronger argument for rehashing designs already in use. If the CFS decide to start issuing Pumpers then it would be very disapointing to see them go for something completely different to whats already out there..... however, in saying that there will always be a way of improving these things...

Put it down to "continuous improvement", and it could all be seen as prototyping anyway....

strikeathird

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 03:24:43 PM »
Inall honesty, Urban brigades, ESPECIALLY E.M.A brigades, should have Scania Pumpers, identical to Mets.  How are we to do the same job when C.O.Q at a mets station, when we have under powered, sometimes under equipped, and 90% of the time, under "pumped" so to speak, appliances.?

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 04:28:04 PM »
It would be great to see a Scania in a CFS station..... No doubt it would be argued that MFS should be chipping funds for them though, considering that would be the main purpose for having them....

Then you start getting into the debate on having dedicated appliances, and weather they are financially viable to maintain etc..... money has to come from somewhere in the end....

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 06:50:52 PM »
It should not matter if the fire fighter is paid or unpaid. If the paid fire fighter uses a scania pumper then for the same task an unpaid firefighter should also have that tool or one that is significantly similar.
Imagine if many of the urban fringe CFS brigades became MFS there would without any doubt be a Scania or two in those stations.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 11:39:50 AM »
On the other side - what are MFS Country Command doing???

Last I saw thew were building composite vehicles - capalbe of urban fire fighting and off road/rural work.

I don't think CFS is alone here - it's about time AFAC took the lead and addressed this need on behalf of all fire services and fire fighters - both career and volunteer!

How novel would it be to have some standards across Australia  :evil:
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 05:01:24 PM »
Good Point ozfire - I believe CFS could have appliances that are very similar in capability to many MFS appliances while still holding the multi role capability. Larger pumps and some more thoughtful design would go a long way.

Good times

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 09:07:36 PM »
The MFS 4x4 pumps are good but still don't have big enough pumps, they are only 500 gpm. The biggest advantage is they are 2 stage for the high pressure lines, the thing CFS refuse's to do, for those of you with single stage pumps you will know what I mean, our old dear has a high pressure pump and it makes the world of difference!!

Maybe SAFECOM might take care of this situation and buy from the same people, so if MFS want 10 pumpers and CFS want 10 pumpers we go to bid for 20 SAFECOM pumpers?

Just a thought.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 10:32:03 AM »

Maybe SAFECOM might take care of this situation and buy from the same people, so if MFS want 10 pumpers and CFS want 10 pumpers we go to bid for 20 SAFECOM pumpers?

the idea has merit  :-D , just have to wait and see what SAFECOM brings.......

strikeathird

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 06:54:14 PM »
Not holding my breath!

Don't think a whole lot will change.

(Would love if it did, but don't think it will)

Offline Firefighting Cowboy

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 02:24:35 PM »
Having served some time with the Berri MFS and having played with the new 4x4 trucks i actually think they are quite good. Whilst there are still the few manurfacturing faults (as in all new trucks) they amount of room and design is excellent. the also carry an auxilury pump which as i recall is just ur standard honda firefighter. this proved useful as u could leave it at the edge of the river or dam to fill other trucks etc.