Author Topic: new baseball hat's  (Read 6466 times)

rescue5271

new baseball hat's
« on: June 03, 2005, 09:41:33 PM »
I understand that the CFS is about to hand out baseball hats to all its
Volunteers as they have placed a order for 10,000 hats now lets see there are 16,500 members on the books so that means that 6500 will not get a hat or do we have to share these hats????? :?

corocfs

Re: new baseball hat's
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 09:33:36 AM »
im sure they wont cost much, but for christ's sake....

WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY!!!

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 09:45:56 AM »
If these are the hats that have been ordered

Based on the clothing contract: http://www.tenders.sa.gov.au/res/documents/contracts/spare/2/1222/Schedules.pdf

A hat is 8.27 each.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 10:41:02 AM »
The baseball caps are not the ones mentioned in the SA tenders, they are Khaki's.  The ones ordered are green with the red and yellow check around the sides.  You may have seen them as some paid staff have got them.
Groups had the opportunity to decide if they wanted to order or not hence the difference in hats ordered to number of vollies.
Adam, Meningie

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 10:41:58 AM »
Any One Got A Pic Of The Cap's That They Could Post???

strikeathird

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 12:36:25 AM »
I can understand that they are wanting to give a little something back to the volunteers - But holy scheiße , I can think of a HEAP of things better, that the money could have been used on!

*Difference would be if these hats are going to be allowed to be warn on the Fire ground for mopping up etc...  That would be considered operational costs, But at over $8 a pop!  Damn!

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 10:19:18 AM »
My understanding is that brigades/members will be wearing the cost if they want them.....

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 02:31:42 PM »
Most employers provide their outdoor workers with hats as part of their OHS&W commitment. We're often working outdoors in non operational conditions and I think hats are a reasonable expense for Groups to consider. But green with red and yellow checks!!!!!! Ewwwww!!!!! And not in a frivilous fashion conscious sense, in a how about presenting a professional image sense.
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline calspec

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 08:09:54 PM »
I noticed some members wearing the new caps at a recent training course I attended.  They look quite professional.  Dark green, with a band of Rd/Yl check.  Also the corporate emblem on the front, I think.  More of a 'uniform' item than a stylish casual cap or anything like that.  I would put my hand up if they were being passed around by the brigade.

I agree with Kat.  Employers are obliged to provide headwear to anyone working outdoors and I think this has to apply to CFS as well.  I have seen the yellow wide brimmed hats around with the CFS Star logo on them, these hats would be very suitable.  Not the most stylish hat around but effective.  Should be part of your kit for tasks that may not require a hard hat - lolipop duty at MVA, even Pumpy/driver could use it - just sling it in your pocket if required and don the hardhat.  The caps would not provide suitable protection against the sun but could be worn on cooler days for the same tasks.

Just my 2c

strikeathird

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 11:41:11 PM »
On the OHSW issue ---"Baseball" caps, were invented the early years of baseball.(Believe it or not) - To stop the shining light from the sun or the light stands from getting in the eyes of the batters while facing a 100mp/h pitch.  I think if it were for this reason, and especially for us, we should have eiter wide brimmed, or like the old floppy CFS hats.  baseball caps are useless when it comes to any sort of sun/ UV protection.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 10:31:50 AM »
Fashion statement - hang on a minute - we are dressed in all yellow, how much more of a fashion statement do you want - would you in your normal day to day life walk down the street dressed all in yellow???

The hats make a great statement and at last present an image (almost looking professional - except for the 27 different styles of uniform)

Regarding Broad Brimmed hats - interesting on the tours I did to both NSW and Victoria there were bucket hats - blue initially then, green with the logo on - from memory (this was a year or five ago) we were briefed they were to provide us with suitable sun protection, when we didn't have helmets on!!!!

Sound reasoning - so I guess the boffin who decided the baseball hat over the bucket hat now needs to decide which provides better sun protection (maybe they are a basball fan or player).

Mmmmm I'm guessing that it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to work this out either!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 11:12:50 AM »
The bucket hats were great! By no means stylish (was likend to looking like big bird at one stage! :-) ) but practical and comfortable. Our brigade recently ordered a batch, the style was decided by the crew and this was seen to be the most practical.

- All round brim
- can be folded up and put into your pocket

strikeathird

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 01:51:11 PM »
I agree with both of the above.

We have the greeny bucket / floppy hats, as was said, comftorble, VERY practical, and when your on the fire ground, or returning from it, it's not like your trying to impress people ne way  :)   (Well, there are probably some out there, but thats not the point :P )

I say use the "Baseball Hat" if doing anything corporate or image related (only if your not out doors:P)  and get more of the bucket hats!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 01:49:38 PM »
And you can use them as a water cart :-D
Images are copyright

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 08:17:36 PM »
So what did happen to the hats?

Timbo

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2006, 08:52:23 PM »
So what did happen to the hats?

If you are after Basball caps, just order them from your Group Purchasing Officer.  They should have access to stocks
MrT

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2006, 08:56:52 PM »
I don't need a hat, I was just wondering if there are 10,000 baseball caps floating around somewhere...

Thanks anyway though :)

Timbo

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2006, 09:02:43 PM »
I don't need a hat, I was just wondering if there are 10,000 baseball caps floating around somewhere...

Thanks anyway though :)

There are plenty - I was at HQ 4 weeks ago, and had 1 given to me.  Always good to protect the noggin

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 04:52:13 PM »
A hat is better than the useless badges they gave us :lol:
Images are copyright

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2006, 06:32:33 PM »
in our group each brigade was given 20/25 hats...
blinky bill
my view only

anything