Author Topic: SAMFS 'ROSA' 14 Appliance  (Read 6200 times)

Offline Darcyq

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
SAMFS 'ROSA' 14 Appliance
« on: October 11, 2007, 08:05:07 PM »
Hi all, does anyone have the specs on the SA MFS 14 appliances, From photos I've seen they have a pto pump, I presume that they also carry an Aux pump as well. So I was just trying to find out what the capacity was on the pump(s) and what other gear was carried. Cheers

Offline Andrew

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Quik Corp - the reel experts
Re: SAMFS 'ROSA' 14 Appliance
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 08:15:46 PM »
1 1/2" AGE Darley pump, dont remember the PTO ratio, but it is feed 30+ HP - I remember winding them off the pressure gauge at 2000 KPA+

Fitted with a Davey fire fighter as AUX pump. It is set up to be removed from the truck and used for filling from a dam etc.

Been a while since I had anything to do with the appliances

It is not what you did wrong, but who you can blame!

uniden

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 08:23:56 PM »
The PTO pumps on these appliances allow pump and roll as well as stationary pumping. Whilst in pump and roll mode the revs from the accellerator of the truck drive the pump as well as the truck. Pump capacity is 250 gpm, which is about 1000 lpm. Carries 1000 litres of water which is a tanks of 800 litres and a reserve of 200 litres. There is a lever on the pump panel that needs to be pulled to access the reserve.

There is a petrol auxillary pump that is plumbed to the tank and the hose up on the deck can be connected to it. A lever on the pump panel needs to be activated to use this pump.

There is a drum of A class foam in one of the lockers that is plumbed to a proportioner like on CFS appliances.

Basic stowage includes 38mm Hose and 64mm hose. Basic hand tools, standpipe, tuncock key nozzles etc. As well as basic lighting plant and more drums of foam.

The ROSA that is based at station 20 is set up as CBR/HAZMAT. I am not sure what gear that carries.

Offline Darcyq

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 10:16:34 PM »
Thanks for all the info, one last question, do you know where they were built? as they seem quite different to the NSWRFS Cat 7. Though I have seen a photo of one of theres with a pto pump as well, but it was probably brigade built.

Offline F.B.R.T

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 11:54:20 AM »
Built by Moores Engineering in Murray Bridge.
The views I express are my own, and not necessarily of the service I represent!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 08:22:06 PM »
Built by Moores Engineering in Murray Bridge.

Here is 2014
Images are copyright

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 09:10:48 PM »
I might seem ignorant (which I most likely am :wink:)But why ROSA, seen them around here - never thought to ask. They are cute but :-D
Ken
just another retard!

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
Doesn't 2014 carry CBR equipment at the moment?

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 09:55:29 PM »
I might seem ignorant (which I most likely am :wink:)But why ROSA, seen them around here - never thought to ask. They are cute but :-D

I think it stood for Regional Operations Support Appliance...possibly...?     :|

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 09:59:27 PM »
Thanks Pip
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Darcyq

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 06:16:25 PM »
How effective / reliable are these appliances? Do they get much use? First impressions indicate a quite usefull design, being able to back up in both the urban & rural environment.

I have seen only one other simular appliance so far having both a PTO and Aux pump on a 14 size appliance, and that was a NSWRFS Cat7 ( see photo )

Offline F.B.R.T

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 08:17:07 PM »
Their looks are deceiving! :-D

I found ours to be quite usefull at grass fires for a "quick attack" and would be quite happy to use it where ever you would use a National Parks style of 1000 litre 4 wheel drive fire unit (e.g Toyota Landcruiser,Datsun Patrol)Ute's.

They were never intended to be used in more severe areas that you would send a Fireking or CFS 24/34 appliance with all their burnover protection etc.

Appart from firefighting, it is a good crew transporter,tow vehicle for moving around RCR training cars and for whizzing down the street to get the crew lunch!

Overall, not a bad truck.

Cheers, Mat
The views I express are my own, and not necessarily of the service I represent!

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 11:54:52 PM »
Hey Mat ! Now I know who you are again!.. hehe.. 

BAck to the Rosa's. - Effective, for both a happy medium of the semi rural/urban interface.. - Not a "hardcore" rural unit, and neither full on urban interface appliance.. (Except I think if one was set up as a sole rescue it could serve a good purpose in a City/ country environment).. If your trying to compare them on a CFS equivalent, think like a Canter 14.. - But, these are just alot better (in my opinion). Both on stowage, the truck itself, practicality (for the more urban interfaces) and... They are Red.  :)

anything