Author Topic: water carting  (Read 4222 times)

rescue5271

water carting
« on: June 06, 2005, 12:16:59 PM »
With the long dry spell we are having and with drinking water drying up how many country people who have no other way of getting drinking water ment to get it??? I know there is a rule of no water carting due to foam in our tanks and so on, but when do we as a service have the right to help those out there that we protect to fill there tanks?

I know from my CFA days that they lifted the same rule we have to help those in need of drinking water,Its ok for those of us with live in town but can we not help those out in the rural parts? As long as our tanks are free of foam and this can be done can we not promote the service's from a different side????

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: water carting
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 01:42:01 PM »
I like the idea.. I'm not sure that I'd drink water out of one of our tanks, even if it was clean, but if we have the resources to help the community in yet another way, why not?

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 10:48:07 AM »
My own view - there are allot of risks associated with this - we place water in people tanks and they get sick - who is liable??? CFS is, even if our tank were clean, out pump faultless and our hoses for delivery clean, (mmm now show me a brigade or manufacture who will guarantee this) who guarantees the cleanliness of the tank we are putting it into.

There are commercial water carter's who provide this service or maybe better still there should be pressure applied to the government to provide this service to our struggling rural community, after all if a main bursts in the city areas, SAWater supples casks of spring water to assist residents with drinking requirements, maybe this should be extend to the country to assist people with their water requirements.

There are many ways we can help our communities outside of emergency response however I believe this is a little risky - I for one wouldn't want to be drinking water from a fire appliance long term!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 12:01:04 PM »
If We Could Cart Water For Other Things This Could Be A Good Idea.  As For Drinking Water I'm With CFS_firey I Would Not Drink Out Of Our Tanks.

If We Could Offer The Option Of Perhap's Filling Dam's For Live Stock & Stuff Like That It Would Be Handy.  But Then If The Live Stock Was To Get Sick, Who Is Liable?

I Think This Is One That Won't Happen.  I Know A Few Brigades That Used To Fill Up People's Swimming Pools, However I Believe This Had To Stop As Well Due To The Fact That If Someone Was To Get Sick Who's Liable.  Also Who Pay's For The Water That We Are Using I Don't Think SA Water Would Be 2 Happy About It.

strikeathird

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 01:02:59 AM »
Maybe with like, water for crops, etc, but don't agree with supplying water for drinking.

Way too risky.  Almost dangerous.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 10:43:51 AM »
My own view - there are allot of risks associated with this - we place water in people tanks and they get sick - who is liable??? CFS is, even if our tank were clean, out pump faultless and our hoses for delivery clean, (mmm now show me a brigade or manufacture who will guarantee this) who guarantees the cleanliness of the tank we are putting it into.

Exactly.

Who Pay's For The Water That We Are Using I Don't Think SA Water Would Be 2 Happy About It.

Effectively it could be classed as theft......

And in the end, i wouldn't recommend drink it..... no way of tell how peoples body's will react to the stuff (foam etc). Would be a legal nightmare!

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 02:26:17 PM »
We've pumped out and subsequently refilled the local swimming pool a few times but made the school (the pool is on it's grounds) get permission from SA Water first!!!

In the old days we used to do a lot of rain water carting. People would want to pump out their tanks for cleaning and put the water back in. Or they'd install new tanks and we'd pinch the rain water out of members surplus supplies to supply them. Honestly with all the contaminants in rain water tanks I doubt there's anything in our fire appliance tanks worse particularly with past the pump foam injection units. Is the don't cart water policy is writing?
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 11:43:16 AM »
im pretty sure it came out in writing......

Good times

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 05:41:45 PM »
All of you that do it are brave people, in today's society its probably not a great idea and I think it's a no no anyway.

strikeathird

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 06:18:15 PM »
I agree, like I said, way to many things that could go wrong!  Wouldn't do it myself.

In this day and age, the liabailty, and risk involved, it isnt worth it.