Author Topic: BullEx HotShot™ Digital Fire Extinguisher Training  (Read 11693 times)

Offline Darcyq

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
BullEx HotShot™ Digital Fire Extinguisher Training
« on: October 31, 2007, 07:44:45 PM »
Just wondering has any one seen or used this sort of fire extinguisher training equipment? I saw it demonstrated at a recent safety show and I hear now that my work might be considering it. The sales rep were stating that fire services such as MFB, CFA as well as large industries had bought the system up in large numbers??? The link below takes you to their site.

http://www.bullexsafety.com

My first impression was that it was good for replicating a stored water pressure extinguisher, but I wonder how good it would be when selecting foam or CO2. I see the advantages in not having the cost of recommissioning extinguishers, or the clean up after the training, and it would be a lot safer, but still not convinced. :|

Would be interested in hearing any feedback that you might have.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
Re: BullEx HotShot™ Digital Fire Extinguisher Training
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 03:02:47 PM »
It may be good for public training, where, chances are they will never use an extinguisher. But for training firies, who my well use multiple types of extinguishers multiple times... I'd say stick with the live fire training.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 03:51:18 PM »
Live fire training is also better as it teaches you that you can put out much larger fires than that simulation wit just a CO2

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 09:27:36 AM »
We are looking at getting one at work for our fire warden training, we are getting one to trial before buying it, to see if its worth the $18000 you have to hand over for one.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 03:41:32 PM »
[quote =Darcyq]
Just wondering has any one seen or used this sort of fire extinguisher training equipment? I saw it demonstrated at a recent safety show and I hear now that my work might be considering it. The sales rep were stating that fire services such as MFB, CFA as well as large industries had bought the system up in large numbers??? The link below takes you to their site.

http://www.bullexsafety.com

My first impression was that it was good for replicating a stored water pressure extinguisher, but I wonder how good it would be when selecting foam or CO2. I see the advantages in not having the cost of recommissioning extinguishers, or the clean up after the training, and it would be a lot safer, but still not convinced. :|

Would be interested in hearing any feedback that you might have.

[/quote]

Water Stored Pressure ;).. [WSP]

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 04:07:31 PM »
When we get ours ill let the faithfull know.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 06:47:51 PM »
Water Stored Pressure ;).. [WSP]

Stored Water Extinguisher ;)...[SWE]

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 05:31:27 AM »
Is that a NSW thing?

rescue5271

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 05:41:28 AM »
No it was designed in the state has been around for years we used to have when when I worked in Victoria,but alot of the training guys felt that live fire training was better as you get to feel the heat but also the unit is costly to buy and has its limitations....

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 05:43:37 AM »
Sorry 5271, was asking numbers if the SWE was a NSW thing. Sorry for the confusion.

rescue5271

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 08:40:52 AM »
No problems

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 06:56:52 AM »
Is that a NSW thing?

I don't know, ask someone from there.

I wasn't being serious :)

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 12:54:52 PM »
That explains why nothing would come up for WSE.. :)

Offline fireblade

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 03:31:30 PM »
Simulated training probably o.k. for Marge at the local newsagent but wouldn't cut it for training probies in using extinguishers. They got to feel the heat. :evil:

Sort of like the gas bubbling up out of water at Brukunga no were near a real  flammable liquids fire!

Offline Salamander

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 11:32:28 AM »
Good afternoon all,
Just a quick note re the Bullex gear. As a small training organisation for industry I bought both the gas fired ITS and the Hot Shot units. So far I have used both under varying conditions from the snow fields to inside heritage buildings. I got them because it is becoming more and more difficult to run environmentally friendly extinguisher training for industry, especially in the city environs. The old water & petrol trays pose too many problems with waste disposal and are unsafe from an OHS perspective, DCP makes too much of a mess (curiously people get upset when their cars are covered in powder) and in the city creates major problems with a dust cloud. Unless you are using Gas Safety approved equipment there are OHS issues. Having gas bubbling up from water is problematic unless you have an approved igniter/dead man's (person's) control.

To be honest, I prefer the gas fired ITS because of the real flames but there are some areas where it is just not possible to have naked flames or where clients do not have the available space. I can use the Hot Shot simulator in underground car parks etc.

From a Community Ed perspective they are excellent for a first attack education program. They allow people in industry (offices etc) to have a go at an extinguisher as long as the program emphasises the limitations of relatively untrained people attacking fires beyond their capabilities or their available equipment. The ability to dial up various types of fires does work and, unless  they are using correct techniques the "fire" won't go out. The basic principal with any hand extinguisher doesn't change - PASS.

Sorry to be long winded but it may answer the earlier questions. I don't believe they can replace "real" fire fighter training any more than a gas simulator at a training college can replace the heat, smoke and danger of a proper fire.

PS. - my background- 25 years MFB, 14 years CFA Vol.     

Offline Darcyq

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 05:57:33 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback, appreciate the unbiased views compared to the sales reps blurb.

Offline Salamander

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 06:11:24 PM »
No problems. As mentioned I am pretty happy with the units. I was also at the Perth FPAA conference and saw Chris and the Bullex guys with the new laser unit. It has some really positive benefits from a Com. Ed. Dept. perspective - being able to run training actually within an office environment rather than as one organisation does, just show a cut away unit and a "talk and chalk". Today I used the Hotshot for evacuation drills in a factory. Set it up so that it had "flames"  inside a large machine. It was very effective. The people actually thought the machine was on fire. Next step is to use it in conjunction with a smoke generator   - much more realistic  :-)