Author Topic: Heavy use of appliances  (Read 15735 times)

Offline car31

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Heavy use of appliances
« on: November 22, 2007, 10:37:07 AM »
I was just on the promo site and looking at the call statics for 06/07. For the year Morphett Vale did 460 calls and Salisbury did 445, i could not see too many other brigades that came close to this. The concern I then had was looking at the equipment that these two brigades are running, they both have old 24p's that probally run to the majority of those 440+ job's, Why does the CFS not recognise this and issue them with new 34P's or type two pumpers, these two brigades are pulling higher stats than some MFS brigades and look at the equipment they are having to work with to do this, hardly seems right. I would suggest that their 24P's are no longer the right applinace for them to run with for the workloads and type of jobs they are attending on a daily basis.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy use of appliances
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 10:54:12 AM »
I think strategically, Morphett vale and Salisbury have the right appliances.  MFS do cover a lot of the area with 2WD pumpers,  while the CFS brigades offer off road capability.

Something similar to Dalkeith 34P would suit them...being a PTO/Pump&roll pump.   Have to wait and see..over the next few financial years.

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 11:35:29 AM »
sure Matt could confirm, but im under the impression MV are getting a type 2 sometime in the nearish future???

but as Zippy said, it comes down to SFECs and i guess in theory (or at least on paper) these brigades have the correct appliances to cover there patches...

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 12:21:37 PM »
The concern I then had was looking at the equipment that these two brigades are running, they both have old 24p's that probally run to the majority of those 440+ job's, Why does the CFS not recognise this and issue them with new 34P's or type two pumpers, these two brigades are pulling higher stats than some MFS brigades and look at the equipment they are having to work with to do this, hardly seems right.

Vote 1 for GD as Prime Minister.

Morphett Vale 24P did 337 runs out of the 460 we did last year, and our 24 goes on most of the strike teams in Region One and has travelled interstate a number of times, it is currently 17 years old and is up to 55,000 kms. As a regular strike team vehicle we would really prefer a dual cab with some of the more modern safety features.

If you look at the risks in our area you will see we have a reasonable amount of B and A class risks. We have 15 premises with boosters, some of which are six in six out, we have a couple of multi story buildings as well as approximately 25,000 residents in our primary response zone. Unfortunately our 24P has proved on a number of occasion's that is not up to the rigours of heavy duty boosting or relay pumping, we have also run out of room to carry any more equipment on it and have stuff left off of it that we would like to carry.

They make an ok appliance for a small country town that is not likely to ever have to boost but for a busy urban environment they are slow and the pump is poorly configured. Our own tests using highly calibrated equipment showed the 1900LPM pump only able to deliver around 1600LPM at its peak, I think some of the plumbing from the pump could be to blame for the loss in performance.

The good news is that Region are currently working with us and have been quite supportive of our push to replace one of our appliances with a more suitable urban vehicle. Whether it gets through the Strategic Leadership Group (SLG) or not is another question, once dollars are discussed things can change very quickly.

A change in the mix of appliances we have is fairly likely, hopefully all will be revealed in the next 6 - 12 months.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 01:13:23 PM by mattb »

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 01:31:08 PM »
We've been told were getting a pumper, but it's in the 8 year plan. :lol:
Lt. Goolwa CFS

pumprescue

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 01:39:21 PM »
"there is no funding and there is no plan" stated a famous person.

Its all about how much effort our brigade is prepared to put in towards justifying your needs. Also there is a lot of luck involved. Morphett Vale can easily justify a type 2, getting it is a different thing. Especially when they aren't building any. The least they could do is turn over those brigades appliances regularly. They have missed the boat with the 24, but the 24P is only 7 years old so now is the time to be trying to get rid of it. The 24 is a 1994 model, so that makes it 13 (not 17  :-P, you must be thinking of the other 24 you used to have), they have refurbed older trucks than that, might be worth a try.

Either way its crap having a truck doing that much work, they really are a bucket of snot. They plumbing is very restrictive, the pump never realises its full potential.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 02:00:07 PM »
yeh i agree with ya pumprescue...plumbing is very restrictive.  am i right that the 24P's and 34P's only turnover what a 100mm pipe can feed in?

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 02:13:52 PM »
Its the way things are. Brigades that do a handful of jobs a year, get brand new appliances, while brigades that are out daily have to hold their appliances for years.

A plan to rotate appliances? Bah! Don't need that. :roll:
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 02:30:50 PM »
No one can argue the fact that Morphette Vale need more urban appliances, but I think G D was making a point about number of responses, not location.

I agree that busier brigades should be getting new equipment to play with, but how would you decide who deserves it?  Should a brigade that does 450 calls a year get first preference over a brigade that only does 400, or 350?  It would just make the politics worse.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 02:42:10 PM »
I agree that busier brigades should be getting new equipment to play with, but how would you decide who deserves it?  Should a brigade that does 450 calls a year get first preference over a brigade that only does 400, or 350?  It would just make the politics worse.

There is not that many brigades doing 250/300+ these days.

Offline Hicksflat14

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 02:57:43 PM »
Theres usually 2 MFS pumpers running to most of their jobs anyway, add in SEAF00's pumper and now give MV a type 2 and your going to have 4 pumpers responding to calls. Same goes for Salisbury. On one hand people cry about duplication of resources, yet your saying lets give type 2s to brigades surrounded by pumpers.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 03:01:29 PM »
Theres usually 2 MFS pumpers running to most of their jobs anyway, add in SEAF00's pumper and now give MV a type 2 and your going to have 4 pumpers responding to calls. Same goes for Salisbury. On one hand people cry about duplication of resources, yet your saying lets give type 2s to brigades surrounded by pumpers.

Yes, lets start responding rural trucks to house fires so we don't duplicate resources...

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »

Did you know that SAMFS 20 Stn is surrounded by other stations all running Pumpers? I think there should be a parliamentary inquiry into duplication of resources like this.

Offline Hicksflat14

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 03:48:29 PM »
Yes, lets start responding rural trucks to house fires so we don't duplicate resources...

Responding rural resources to urban incidents is what happens everywhere else in the state. Its just that everywhere else in the state you don't have
3 full kit pumpers arriving before or shortly after a particular hick brigade arrives with their 15 year old 24 with only 2 BA.

Did you know that SAMFS 20 Stn is surrounded by other stations all running Pumpers? I think there should be a parliamentary inquiry into duplication of resources like this.

Oops sorry your right, after all we need 4 pumpers going to a car fire

1908973 01:23:40 13-11-07 MFS: INC # 2 - 13/11/07 01:23,RESPOND Vehicle Fire,SOUTH RD,OLD NOARLUNGA, MAP 195 Q 15 ,,COMMODORE ON BRIDGE,
RIVERRD,MRPH00*CFSRES:

1908967 01:14:55 13-11-07 MFS: INC # 2 - 13/11/07 01:14,RESPOND Vehicle Fire,SOUTH RD,OLD NOARLUNGA, MAP 195 Q 15 ,,ON TOP OF THE BRIDGE, COMMODORE,SEAF00 CDN431 CDN439*CFSRES:

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 03:57:46 PM »

haha start??? you mean keep doing it. lets not forget that brigades outside of region 1 & 2 get urban jobs as well..

HF14 - is the standard MFS response (in MFS area) to a VF 1 or 2 pumps?

Offline alphaone

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 04:35:39 PM »
..... is the standard MFS response (in MFS area) to a VF 1 or 2 pumps?

It is my understanding that they are sending Two pumps minimum to every Vehicle Fire, due to the risk of LPG tanks, and the fact that some "charming" deliquents who burn cars are putting BBQ Gas bottles in the boot, or passenger compartments of Vehicles.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 04:46:10 PM »

1908973 01:23:40 13-11-07 MFS: INC # 2 - 13/11/07 01:23,RESPOND Vehicle Fire,SOUTH RD,OLD NOARLUNGA, MAP 195 Q 15 ,,COMMODORE ON BRIDGE,
RIVERRD,MRPH00*CFSRES:

1908967 01:14:55 13-11-07 MFS: INC # 2 - 13/11/07 01:14,RESPOND Vehicle Fire,SOUTH RD,OLD NOARLUNGA, MAP 195 Q 15 ,,ON TOP OF THE BRIDGE, COMMODORE,SEAF00 CDN431 CDN439*CFSRES:

Don't get yourself all confused. There is a difference between allocation of resources to a given area to cover the risk in that area, and allocation of resources to a single job.

Not to mention "2 pumps to a Vehicle fire in case of LPG" Thats crap. Can you only run one line of hose off your own pump? If so, I'd invest in buying some more hose or a bigger pump.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 04:50:31 PM »
Not to mention "2 pumps to a Vehicle fire in case of LPG" Thats crap. Can you only run one line of hose off your own pump? If so, I'd invest in buying some more hose or a bigger pump.

Ahh, but in the country, they go to car fires in basic 14's with a single hoseline, and if there are 3 other pumpers in the area, upgrading yours to handle 2 hoses would be duplication of resources... ;)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2007, 05:19:25 PM »

Ahh, but in the country, they go to car fires in basic 14's with a single hoseline, and if there are 3 other pumpers in the area, upgrading yours to handle 2 hoses would be duplication of resources... ;)

Wait... My pump as got 8 road cones stowed on board. Does that mean that there is a 8x duplication of resources in the offside front locker alone?

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 05:51:47 PM »
..... is the standard MFS response (in MFS area) to a VF 1 or 2 pumps?

It is my understanding that they are sending Two pumps minimum to every Vehicle Fire, due to the risk of LPG tanks, and the fact that some "charming" deliquents who burn cars are putting BBQ Gas bottles in the boot, or passenger compartments of Vehicles.

First question is 2 MFS Pumpers Mack

Secondly they are leaving 9kg gas cylinders in industrial bins too :-o
Images are copyright

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2007, 02:06:08 PM »
MV also have to back up MFS to jobs in MFS area, ie lonsdale industrial area / colonnades etc. I think its time they get an upgrade in trucks.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2007, 09:26:13 PM »
Salisbury could give up some area that would drop there calls down dalkeith did it others have done it i understand that some times they are required but do cfs brigades in urban areas need such a big urban primary area mfs can get there faster.

it sucks that the busy brigades dont always get what they want but least they have something that can do the job. i know quorn ses require a new truck well there first truck they have a hilux and a trailer and they have to wait till 08/09 to get a truck so i think cfs has it pretty good when it comes to trucks etc.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2007, 09:48:07 PM »
Salisbury could give up some area that would drop there calls down dalkeith did it others have done it i understand that some times they are required but do cfs brigades in urban areas need such a big urban primary area mfs can get there faster.

it sucks that the busy brigades dont always get what they want but least they have something that can do the job. i know quorn ses require a new truck well there first truck they have a hilux and a trailer and they have to wait till 08/09 to get a truck so i think cfs has it pretty good when it comes to trucks etc.

Salisbury could do well to be shut down. Its surrounded by MFS stations. The CFS doesn't have it too good mate. There are stations out there attending 350+ jobs a year, with 1 7 year old truck, 1 15+ year old truck, and 3 20+ year old trucks. Go figure.

rescue5271

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2007, 05:43:39 AM »
If the brigade and its members are happy to do these calls let them,but at some point if they want to give something up then should be suported by all.I think alot of people forgot that these busy brigade's are able to do what they do with shift workers and yes there are days that they cant get out the door so they are lucky that MFS is not that far away.....

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2007, 07:08:01 AM »

RIVERRD,MRPH00*CFSRES:

Whos area is that HF ?

anything