Author Topic: Babies @ fires  (Read 12113 times)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Babies @ fires
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2008, 08:07:08 PM »
Thats why I think the ranking system in both of the vollie services are weird.
SES get appointed/voted, CFS voted in as I said weird. How would that work with you paid members (refer other thread)
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2008, 08:38:59 PM »
Its not just because officers are voted positions, its also because you have brigades that do 350 calls a year right next to brigades that only do 35.  Even appointing officers won't fix that problem...

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2008, 09:07:18 PM »
Just because you have been to heaps of jobs shouldn't make you automatic selection to be an officer nor does the fact that you have been in the service for 10 years. Officers SHOULD be elected on there knowledge, skill, job experience and also the respect that they have from and for there fellow firefighters and even neighbouring brigades, if that person is young so be it.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2008, 06:11:43 AM »
Officers need to be trained in how to be officers, That is operationally, Administration, Human resources, Finance, Leadership & broad picture stuff.
Obviously to the level required by their position.
This has become more important in these enlightened times :wink:
And the person how is very good in the field may not be the best manager(after all thats what you are). If you think about a lot of the problems within our organisations they revolve around leadership (refer to list above).
I know personally that when we work with other units/ brigades I seek guidance from those more senior (in years and experience) to me - it makes sense.
Conversely those more senior individuals need to allow younger/less experienced officers to make the decisions in line with their positions without interfering.
One final thought the Unit manager/ Brigade/ Group captain is ultimately responsible for the actions of their Unit/Brigade/Group - payed staff will quickly point this out to you trust me :wink: Therefore the next time you are looking at changes to leadership positions, ask yourself this question Is this truely the right person? Because if you don't all soughts of bad stuff can happen!
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Nick000

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2008, 08:37:24 AM »
oh well not much u can do..........

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2008, 09:41:04 AM »
I dont no why u guys dont like the youngens, there the future captains and leuitenants of brigades. im 18 have been a cadet since i was in year 7 and active fire fighter for 2 years. in that time ive been to over 250 callouts, and been incharge of appliances.

Being out there on the fire ground is where they are going to learn the most especially from guys that have been there for 14 years. I can tell you... ive leart ten times as much from other FF at jobs than any course can teach.

Nick I've been a active fire fighter since 2000 with my brigade and have yet to hold an officer position or any kinda position at that matter so my advice is to prove to your superiors that you are capable of handling the big responsibility of being a lieutenant so they they take you into consideration at the next Brigade AGM
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 09:48:23 AM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline fireblade

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2008, 10:02:57 AM »
I've been in the CFS for 15 years and are in my early 30's. Last year I was made up to a Lieutenant and before that a Senior F/F for a long time.

To be honest with you Nick don't be in a rush it's good that you're keen but you will miss wearing BA, using the tools at an RCR and being on the end of the hose at a rural incident. (All the fun stuff!)

Lieutenant's also do a lot of behind the scene stuff at brigades as well and some of it is not fun.

As for your other statement most of the young guys in my brigade are excellent keen, willing to learn but know their place and also know not to argue with me when I tell them to do something unless they've seen something dangerous that I have not!

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2008, 02:11:10 PM »
I've been in the CFS for 15 years and are in my early 30's. Last year I was made up to a Lieutenant and before that a Senior F/F for a long time.

To be honest with you Nick don't be in a rush it's good that you're keen but you will miss wearing BA, using the tools at an RCR and being on the end of the hose at a rural incident. (All the fun stuff!)

Lieutenant's also do a lot of behind the scene stuff at brigades as well and some of it is not fun.

As for your other statement most of the young guys in my brigade are excellent keen, willing to learn but know their place and also know not to argue with me when I tell them to do something unless they've seen something dangerous that I have not!

Hear, hear :-) have been in it since i was 11 am now 27, and i miss not getting my hands dirty, having to remember to stand back and leave it to the FF's
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2008, 04:03:55 PM »
Yep same same even worse when you have to deliberately stay behind at the station - so that others get to lead the teams :-(
I some times wish things were different (read simpler) & just be one of the guys!
At least (because of the team size) I still get to go to RCR jobs & play :-D
One of the things I forgot to mention about what an officer needs is to be politically astute  :wink:
Anyway I'm sure Nick you will get your chance.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Nick000

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2008, 04:29:55 PM »
Thanks 4 the concern guys.

I hav no plan to become a lieutenant anywhere in the near future.
I still have along way to go and like being at the end of the hose.
All i was suggesting is dont rule out the young guys on the fire ground. Because this is where they learn skills and techniques that someday in the future may prepare them to be a lieutenant.

Like i said before, ive learnt ten times as much on the fireground from other people than any course.

Offline fireblade

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2008, 07:15:09 AM »
I agree totally Nick when we respond into MFS area I make sure I've got 4 BA with those guys trained in RCR and then the 5th guy is a new lad so he can see what goes on and help the driver/pumpy set up.

Fire fighting is a blue collar job the appliance is your tool box and you will only become familiar and competent with those tools if you use them!