Author Topic: Responding on other brigades/units trucks  (Read 12337 times)

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Responding on other brigades/units trucks
« on: December 20, 2007, 05:49:07 AM »
We have had to start using our siren at night as members are not around....

hows the siren gonna help then?

rescue5271

Re: Ammusing pager message.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 05:40:10 AM »
Siren will help in many ways,one it tells the public we are still there,it also alerts those members who have gone out with out their pagers and last of all it also alerts any other cfs members who are in town that we have a job and they may come and help....

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 06:47:08 AM »
ahhh, i was thinking... if there nto around, then there not around.

Offline country kid

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 08:02:48 AM »
Siren will help in many ways,one it tells the public we are still there,it also alerts those members who have gone out with out their pagers and last of all it also alerts any other cfs members who are in town that we have a job and they may come and help....

i have a question...im a newbie, and a baby.
but anyway if your actually in a different brigade, but are somewhere else when the other siren goes off, are you allowed to go see if the other brigade needs more hands?

just curious

country kid

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 08:27:43 AM »

but anyway if your actually in a different brigade, but are somewhere else when the other siren goes off, are you allowed to go see if the other brigade needs more hands?

just curious

country kid

Technically yes if you are in another town and the brigade there has a station siren of which goes off meaning they need more crew and you've got your PPE on hand theres no reason why you cant respond with that brigade 
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 08:32:40 AM »

just curious

country kid

you can, but if you rocked up at my station, and i didnt know you personally, your not getting on my truck. i like to know the people im responding with..... need to be able to trust your crew.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 09:10:36 AM »
Mack might have the benifit of ample crew ?..

Some rural towns would jump at the opportunity to put one more on the truck if you were driving past the station and you saw a couple people flying into the local CFS area.

Alot of vollies that travel alot, particulalry in remote / rural areas, carry their gear with them for that exact reason CK. - So yes, to answer your question, you can.  :-)

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 09:23:01 AM »

yes we usually do ok for crew.... but personally i would rather default, than put joe blow off the street onto our truck...

rescue5271

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 10:39:49 AM »
If you have PPE and CFS ID then come along for the ride.......

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 10:49:17 AM »

yes we usually do ok for crew.... but personally i would rather default, than put joe blow off the street onto our truck...

They arent Jo Blow, they are a fellow CFS member..

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 11:14:29 AM »

They arent Jo Blow, they are a fellow CFS member..

still... not on my truck ;)

if you rocked up at the station and told me you were jimmy poppinoff from hicks flat brigade, and had level 3, CFB, and all the accreditations in the world.... if i dont know you persoanlly then that doesnt mean much. I know plenty of 'loose canons' with plenty of accreditations, doesnt make them reliable.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 11:17:18 AM by mack »

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 11:21:21 AM »
Jeez you must really trust your training system then! :wink:
& your peers!
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 11:24:48 AM »
Jeez you must really trust your training system then! :wink:
& your peers!
cheers

i trust the people in my brigade and other members of the services that i have met and spent some time with...

Chook, would you trust me with your life if i just rocked up at your station one day and expected to jump on the truck?

Offline country kid

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 06:09:46 PM »
okay  i get where everyone is coming from...
but...MACK ... wat about a spare of hands for traffic control at a RCR or something. i mean it would be usefull, and yes i do understand not knowin them but think about it, most of the time we go to RCR's we dont know them and they still trust us all

country kid

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 06:46:07 PM »
I don't know how well you brigade interacts with its neighbor but i know id i rocked up at a t house fire and then Stirling arrived and i was to enter the house with one of their operators chances are i would not even know their name.

This isn't terribly good but is overcome with training  everyone to the level.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 07:10:15 PM »
I'm with Mack...I would be reluctant to take a person I have never met, and don't know, out to an emergency call...

I know of many brigade who cross-crew....which is an excellent concept...I have some of my members who spend a fair bit of time in another brigade's area (and a long way from my brigade).

He asked about what did I think about him responding with that brigade...I told him he should - but he MUST make contact with the other brigade, and chat to them..so at least they know who he is, and can do some checks on him, should they need to....

There is an argument that everyone has done BFF-1 and is capable of responding....that may be true (but in some cases, may not..) but, that aside, at least if you go out with another brigade, they at least know who you are, BEFORE the s*%t hits the fan...!
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2007, 08:45:07 AM »
Yes Mack, if they are qualified in the skill I require at the time. As Country Kid said @ a RCR tasks other services are there & we hope that they know what they doing. At the recent Pinnaroo task we had CFS crews blended in with our SES teams (in fact they out numbered us) & small SES teams from M/Bridge, Bordertown & Berri - never worked together before yet we had to trust each other.
Thats what training is for - ask the SES guys who do the RCR course, they have to meet the standard and its a fairly high bar. So if someone from another unit around here attended one of our callouts to lend a hand & was qualified and I turned them away cause I don't know them it would be an insult.
I know it happened to me once and when the unit concerned finished the task, it turned out I knew more about RCR than they did & they were asking me about how they should have done the extracation.
So I guess if you have doubts about ability, you can always give them the less mission critical task to begin with. As I said I put my life in the hands of you "hose jockeys" all the time so I would hope you know what you are doing! :wink: cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2007, 10:46:27 AM »
ahhh but were not talking about neighbouring crews "inter-mingling" at a job, nor are we talking about cooperation between services...

were talking about a person, youve never seen before in your life, rocking up at your station because they heard the siren sound, claiming to be a member of the CFS from wherever, then expecting to get on your appliance as part of your crew. If you would let them on, your an exteremely trusting person.

Pip - glad someone's on "my side"

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2007, 01:23:07 PM »
Ok the parameters are changin, if they don't have id & you don't know them I guess you err on the side caution, but we have roped in civilians on tasks cause we needed that extra hand - only on stuff that wasn't critical though!
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Responding on other brigades/units trucks
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 03:51:40 PM »

I'm also with you Mack - unless I know someone, and what they're capable of, I wouldn't want to trust my life to them. (Given that I have a choice).  Working with other brigades is different, as its usually your "team" from your truck, working with their "team" from their truck.

In my opinion, as an OIC of a truck, it's your responsibility to know what your crew is trained in, and capable of.  If you don't know the guest CFS vol, no matter where they're from, or what they say they can do, you're not only taking a risk for your own crew, but also any crews you might be working with on the fire ground.

Offline fireblade

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2007, 03:57:51 PM »
I agree with not putting them on an appliance if you don't know them.

We have guys that ride with us on some jobs but they train with us as well as their own brigades.

As well as we have a few members that will soon respond with a HAZMAT brigade in our group from my brigade when they are short as they have the training from another service and will be training with that brigade as well as making themselves familiar with their appliances.

rescue5271

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2007, 05:08:39 PM »
Ok,so what is the differance if you go on a strike team and you are with 4 other members who you dont know??? I know its a hard call but when you need crews and someone rock up says they are in CFS and have PPE and ID you could use them for something??? I have turned out with CFA brigade's when in their area doing work showed my CFS ID and got on the appliance,I have also turned out with a few country brigade's when they have not had crews and I am sure there are others that have done the same....

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2007, 05:19:59 PM »
Ok,so what is the differance if you go on a strike team and you are with 4 other members who you dont know??? I know its a hard call but when you need crews and someone rock up says they are in CFS and have PPE and ID you could use them for something??? I have turned out with CFA brigade's when in their area doing work showed my CFS ID and got on the appliance,I have also turned out with a few country brigade's when they have not had crews and I am sure there are others that have done the same....

Haha regarding strike teams..very easy...just use the "hours" u sit in staging to get to know the composite crew your part of ;)...

it became apparent the strengths and weakness's of other crew during my deployment to KI, i even helped the others by letting them know wot roles i have confidence in and others that i could strengthen. since KI was a good learning time guess what i did...all the stuff im not used to. :P
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 05:26:05 PM by Zippy »

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2007, 05:20:50 PM »

I have to agree with Blinky as long as they have their CFS PPE on hand it doesnt matter if you dont know them they are still a CFS Volunteer full stop and have the same fire fighting training so its best to take any offers of help from fellow CFS Vollies when theres a shortage in crew

Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2007, 05:40:44 PM »

I'm also with you Mack - unless I know someone, and what they're capable of, I wouldn't want to trust my life to them. (Given that I have a choice).  Working with other brigades is different, as its usually your "team" from your truck, working with their "team" from their truck.

In my opinion, as an OIC of a truck, it's your responsibility to know what your crew is trained in, and capable of.  If you don't know the guest CFS vol, no matter where they're from, or what they say they can do, you're not only taking a risk for your own crew, but also any crews you might be working with on the fire ground.

But that is contradictive.. - I could rock up to your station (carrying all my PBI, id, what ever, you dont know how im trained but you know Im BA atleast), you have never met me before (actually, you may have) but anyway, never trained with me before, granted, you wont let me on the truck cause of a Trust issue.. Cause you don't know my abilities..  - In real life, I am not very far away from you, in regards to brigades, the possiblity is slim, yet still there that we could arrive at a job together (particualry if fighting fires in the hills again) - You still don't know my training, nor my abilities, yet you and I could both have to "go in" and trust each other with our lives.. - As trained too.

I understand what you are saying, but its a little contradictive.. Basically saying if I come on the back of the truck, you automatically "trust" my abilities.. But not if I rock up carrying my gear.. Its a bit of a catch 22..
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 05:47:36 PM by RescueHazmat »

anything