Author Topic: volunteers our own sports team theory!!  (Read 2954 times)

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
volunteers our own sports team theory!!
« on: December 31, 2007, 11:50:13 AM »
A theory that I've had for many years,is that most emergency service volunteers are not generally sporting types, and that our voluntary organisations fill the sensation of that camaraderie that is generally associated with sporting clubs.

I know that in some of our remoter locations this will generally not be the case with an entire community fulfilling all of the sporting and volunteering roles ,but in the closer rural/urban and urban brigades ,I'm just wondering if my "non sporting camaraderie " theory holds water .....awaiting all of your learned responses.

Cheers JAFF
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: volunteers our own sports team theory!!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 01:32:25 PM »
I know plenty of Volunteer crew sports teams, that play both social and competitive sports.

Offline country kid

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 01:37:45 PM »
i agree with recue hazmat, specially out where we are.

ha ha out here the our community run the and own the local shopand the tin shed known as the pub!, are the school teachers and the the bus driver, and commuinty board members and the CFS volunteers. so we pitch in, we do our bit  :-D LMAO
also the church congregation and pastor! so if there is an incident...church is cancelled till later :-D

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 11:46:08 AM »
I believe it just comes down to the fact if your sports orientated or not, if you want/like to play sport you will, if you don't you wont. But i believe that anyone that is an active Firefighter should be trying to keep a slight level of fitness.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 04:41:12 PM »
sometimes if brigades are pretty strict on trainings that members must attend, then footy twice a week, plus cfs, plus for me staff meetings once or twice a week, plus all the after hours stuff teachers are expected to do gets a bit much, and a decision needs to be made as to what gives. (When my knee gave, that was pretty easy option for no footy...)

But def in country areas you tend to get involved in stuff, so as to not be considered a hermit...

rescue5271

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 06:18:43 PM »
Our brigade has for many years taken part in a basketball match with local disability adults,we also take part in a yearly sports match with the police last year it was cricket and the police won was a great game and we all had fun.. I know a number of brigade's around the state take part in RELAY FOR LIFE.