Author Topic: Equipment Issue (Personal)  (Read 5881 times)

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Equipment Issue (Personal)
« on: June 20, 2005, 10:42:17 AM »
"Disclaimer: I don't want this to be, yet another debate and witch hunt over money, rather a reflective post, one to get us all thinking and questioning our Group and the CFS hieracy about what is fair , equitabel and reasonable under a duty of care,. Please don't stste your group or brigade" All said and done here we go:

What equipent does your brigade/group issue to you as standard - for your use only?

What equipment do you think they should issue?
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Equipment Issue (Personal)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 10:49:19 AM »
Hopefully you have read the first post to this topic and understand why that is there.  :evil:

Now why do I ask - well there are lots of differnet standards (and it's not just the hills fringe brigades who get items issued)

I have heard of brigades who issue - standard PPE (Jacket & pants/overalls, boots, gloves, helmet) and then also issue Jumpers, T-shirts, hats (bucket and peak cap) sunnies/protective eye wear, drink bottles, personal first aid kits, kit bags and alike.

So what do you get, should there be a standard and when we risk our lives for our communities, should we be provided with a "complete" kit, not just the basics

Maybe this could start a "pro-active" review on what a volunteer fire fighter needs to undertake the varied roles that are asked of us - not a bureaucratic one by some one i the castle who once was a CFS volunteer and knows just what we need??????
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 11:28:23 AM »
Generally all personnel in our group are issued standard PPE only.
Bottled water is provided on the appliance.

Would be nice to have some kit bags available for extended trips, but dont think individual bags is necessary..... Bucket hats for everyone though....
This is probably a good place to mention nomex shirts again aswel!!!!

Other apparel ( ie jumpers , t-shirts etc) is up to the individual. There arnt many employers out there who would happily buy unnecessary gear for their workers, and CFS shouldnt be any different.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 11:37:01 AM »
Standard PPE (Jacket & pants/overalls, boots, gloves, helmet) Is All We Get.

Bottled Water Is Provided On The Trucks.

Went To Fire & Rescue & Got Some Polo Shirts For When On The Fire Ground.

I Did Hear Something That We Might Be Getting A CFS Bag Which Could Be Used For Task Force Jobs, But As Of Yet Nothing Received.

Nomex Shirts, Yes Wouldn't Mind Getting Some Of Thoses.  Would Love A Bucket Hat, As Some Of The Older Members Received Them, However Being A New Member (8-9 Months) I Have Not Received One, However Have Required One On A Number Of Occations.

Offline Steveg

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 01:34:46 PM »
We get the standard PPE, and had hats and t-shirts issued last year.

We also  get bottled water on the appliance, refillable bladders for training.

Protective eyewear is something that i think all members should have with their standard gear. As far as first aid kits and such, i think this is best left for the individual to get what they feel they should be carrying, and put it into their own kit.
i think that kit-bags are a bit over the top, as lots of people out there dont have a real use for them.

strikeathird

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 01:44:36 PM »
Turnout gear (inc. Liner), boots, helmet, gloves.

Goggles, sunnys, mask.

Drink bottle, (bottles also provided on the appliance), bucket hat, lip balm sunscreen.

Few other bits and pieces.

No personal First aid kit, however one in station, and on every appliance.

Good times

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 05:40:26 PM »
Everything as above plus they have sprung for a t-shirt for each member, I think that should be something we do as its hard enough to look professional as it is, so if everyone looks the same its gotta help.

strikeathird

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 06:16:14 PM »
Thats actually a reall good idea.  Something that can be left at the staiton, so every member looks alike if they take off there turnout coat!   GT, i might have to send that proposal in the direction of my brigade!

corocfs

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 09:16:36 PM »
Nomex turnout gear, (BA liner for ppl trained in BA)
structural helmet
safety glasses, dust mask
bucket hat and t-shirt that has brigade name

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 03:14:35 PM »
Full PPE: (Gloves, Boots, Bunker Pants, Turnout coat, Goggles, Dust Mask, Structural Helmet)
We also get a sunhat, and a T-shirt.
Other brigade clothing, (caps, polo shirts, beanies, bomber jackets, etc, all with brigade name), can be ordered through the brigade but must be paid for by us volunteers.
I'd love nomex workshirts, and especially wet weather gear!

The problem with having a standard, is that the CFS will end up supplying the bare minimum, (in my opinion), and the brigades that might need the extra gear will miss out, because its not standard...

strikeathird

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005, 08:10:40 PM »
Forgot about the wet weather gear, we have that, altho is kept for use by crews on the truck.  But is available.

rescue5271

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 02:18:52 PM »
Our group issue PPE to all new members jacket/pants/boots/helmet/gloves to rural brigades all have have bottled water at there station and on the appliances also car one has bottled cold water.

Our urban brigade members who are CABA/rescue/hazmat get the correct gear to deal with the job as for t shirts and hat well that comes out of brigade money that has been raised over the years.

blinky bill
MY VIEW ONLY

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2005, 12:01:14 PM »
Many years ago when we went to fires near Wilmington the Salvos had set up and were doing an amazing job with food. One thing that they were handing out was so useful to us we made up some of our own. They had little personal item kits (only about 10cm wide and 15cm high) that had items like tiny toothbrush and paste, comb, bandaid, sunscreen wipes, wet wipes, insect repellant wipes, safety pin, panadol, razor, soap, shampoo, conditioner. Can't remember if anything else except they had "pink dot" ones that contained a couple of female type items.
These were exceptionally useful to us so when we got home we got hold of some toiletry bags and made up some of our own for taskings. (We have six on an appliance and replenish them as used). No pink dots - they all carry the "female" item. The razors have been used many a time on the way to a job! (Bearing in mind we may be on the road over 1/2 an hour to a BA job). Brings to mind the time (many many years ago) when an operator was having a shave on the back using the packs soap and razor but had no water. Just as he opened the tank to wet his hand the driver needed to break rather heavily and the three of us in the back seat were hit by a tidal wave of water that soaked us as soundly as if we had jumped in the river  :-o But I digress :-)
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

corocfs

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005, 01:22:11 PM »
why has the word shirt (as in top) been changed to "not nice" in every post?

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005, 09:52:48 AM »
why has the word shirt (as in top) been changed to "not nice" in every post?

Hey Corocfs

Have a look here I think this answers your question.

http://www.safirefighter.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=53&topic=197.0