Author Topic: VOL'S IN IMT  (Read 3635 times)

rescue5271

VOL'S IN IMT
« on: January 22, 2008, 05:05:33 AM »
Article in the CFA FIREMAN paper where their chief officer has written to the SA coroner saying that IMT should have volunteers in them with staff and that by saying its a staff only position is wrong. He goes onto say that volunteers undertake the same courses as staff and should be allowed to take part and run the show if they have done the course.. For those of you that have not read the coroners report he has said that all level 2/3 IMT should be run by paid staff I understand that last week the VFBA emailed the letter that the cfa chief wrote to coroner...

Offline fireblade

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: VOL'S IN IMT
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 06:50:14 AM »
I agree totally with the statement as a few of our older brigade members in my group that have had experience as Captains and DGO's in the past and don't wish to lead the brigades but have done the IMT training and can be available just about anytime and they feel that they are past riding appliances to ever job.

They are the perfect people for that job, year of experience, leadership skills, have a great deal of local knowledge(if fire is close to their area).

Probably more knowledgable than some paid staff, they have been in the CFS longer than some of those paid guys by many years.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 08:17:38 AM »
I agree that vols should be able to hold IMT positions. but i think it has more to  do with the blame and that they can't shove it on volllies when things go wrong.

pumprescue

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 08:56:15 AM »
I don't agree that vols should be totally blameless, I think its starting to become a bit of a copout, "oh no I screwed up, but I am a vol, its alright"

I think the incident controller should be a paid staff member, but other roles can be filled by vols no problem.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 04:23:31 PM »
Totally agree with both statements :wink:
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline fireblade

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 08:22:17 AM »
Have to agree with you pump rescue the old statement of "I'm just a volunteer" has never gone down easy with me it is an ‘out’ to be reckless, complacent and have a lack of ownership of your equipment and station.

That is one of those statements that keep some people thinking that volunteer emergency organisations are not always up to the mark.

My reply to guys that come up with that remark is if you don't want to step up to the line. You volunteer twice, you've done the first one the second is handing back your gear!

"Professionalism is not a pay check it is a state of mind!"

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 08:55:18 AM »
Totally agree!
Ken
just another retard!

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 09:10:22 AM »
Fireblades quote "professionism is not a pay cheque, its a state of mind" is brilliant ,it should be a bumper sticker ,you missed your calling Fireblade ,you should work for hallmark!

Cheers jaff
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Hicksflat14

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 12:09:33 PM »
Actually it sounds like the long time Sturt/Mitcham group saying being:
"Professionism is a state of mind not a rate of pay".