Author Topic: Friendly fire — Kadina, Wallaroo and Moonta services under review  (Read 10607 times)

Offline Jimmy_91

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Southern Yorke CFS Group
Article in the Yorke Peninsula Country Times

An interesting read. :-)

Friendly fire — Kadina, Wallaroo and Moonta services under review

Tuesday, 22 January 2008
Journalist: Kathryn Crisell
YP Country Times

A comment Kadina’s Metropolitan Fire Service may be phased out — made last week during the District Council of the Copper Coast meeting — has been branded as politicking by a member of the committee investigating firefighting capability within the Copper Triangle.
CFS Kadina Brigade Captain, Tony Costello, sits on the committee (alongside another CFS member and two MFS members) set up by the South Australian Fire and Emergency Services Commission (SAFECOM).
“Our job is to investigate firefighting capability within the region, but no decisions have been made,” he said.
“We have to put up something to SAFECOM within the next few weeks — a recommendation or views — and we are hoping we can get the best result for the community.
“We are not looking at a reduction in services. We are looking at how best we can manage risks within the area. We have MFS crews at Wallaroo, Moonta and Kadina but also a CFS crew at Kadina. Wallaroo has more risk areas with the hospital, the silos and multi-storey buildings and Port Hughes will soon have multi-storey development also.
“Kadina is different in that it has two services, MFS and CFS, for a population of 3,000 — but it’s up to the committee to decide what it puts before SAFECOM and the Minister for Emergency Services will make the final decision.”
Tony is concerned both his dedicated volunteers and MFS firefighters may get caught in the crossfire if people play politics with the issue.
He says there is no difference in firefighting expertise, with both CFS and MFS personnel trained appropriately and to a consistent level.
“I am trying to avoid what has happened in other towns where services have been looked at. I have a lot of dedicated volunteers and I don’t want them or the MFS members, put down by anybody.
“We have a harmonious atmosphere here. At a local operational level we work together quite well and I want it to continue that way.”

What was said
At the District Council of the Copper Coast January 16 meeting, Cr Clarke put a number of councillors offside when he raised as a point of interest, information he says was passed to him by a “high-ranking person in the MFS”. He suggested the MFS would be phased out of the area with the CFS taking over the firefighting role and that CFS crews are not trained to the level required.
Mayor Paul Thomas noted it was not a new issue and discussion had taken place in regard to better use of services, adding: “CFS has every expertise required”.
Cr Rodda, a senior Kadina CFS member, told Cr Clarke some of his information was “quite wrong”.
“I take it personally that you think the CFS can’t handle the job,” he said.
Cr Sims, in backing Cr Rodda, said: “That’s a lot of [garbage] Cr Clarke. I have personally been involved in situations with the CFS over many years. They are highly trained and I will stand with them any day.”
Likewise, Cr Craig Costello, who has recently joined the CFS, said he found the organisation extremely professional and highly trained.
“CFS volunteers are to be commended not knocked down,” he said.
Stewart Germaine
Minlaton CFS

Offline Crownie24

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly fire — Kadina, Wallaroo and Moonta services under review
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 08:51:55 PM »
They have BA, HAZMAT and RCR what more training could they need?

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 09:12:16 PM »
enough crew??  maybe the retained guys could just volunteer :D

pumprescue

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 09:33:16 PM »
I think this would need to be looked at very carefully, equipment wise, as in appliances, I don't think CFS is up to the mark, but combined, or some form of shared services, would be an idea, hopefully they come up with a sensible solution. They might look at going the RFS route, with CFS looking after the rural type calls and MFS looking after the urban jobs, I can't see MFS just giving it all up.

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 09:59:40 PM »
"I can't see MFS just giving it all up."

I reckon they would, in return for areas closer to town.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 10:07:53 PM by safireservice2009 »
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 10:07:35 PM »
South to North this time....shall we start taking bets on who stays and who goes :|
Images are copyright

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 10:25:52 PM »
"Kadina,Wallaroo and Moonta services under review",filtered according to one "global warming" website they wont be under review they will be under water,now that will give technical services a heartache fitting 20 meter snorkels to all seaside adjacent brigades trucks!!

Cheers Jaff
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 10:32:34 PM by jaff »
Just Another Filtered Fireman

misterteddy

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 07:37:13 AM »
maybe one day we'll just get on being one fire service for the public,  instead of pushing our respectives barrows - duplication and wasted resources like this are just crap

SAFECOM, and we know you read this ;), just take a leaf out of NIKE's book, and just do it - be gutsy, be ballsy, and be visionary

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 07:40:39 AM »
and on top of that tell us what is going to happen in the future come up with a plan that is accurate and correctly budgeted

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 07:52:01 AM »
One fire service - imagine the old dogs trying to learn that new trick. Will be an interesting ride if it happens (which I think it will). :-P

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 09:14:20 AM »
One fire service - imagine the old dogs trying to learn that new trick. Will be an interesting ride if it happens (which I think it will). :-P

Yeah, but you're never too old to learn  :-P

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 09:31:59 AM »
That media release wasn't even half of what was said. Cr. Sims (who is my cousin and Senior Sgt. of Kadina Police) informed me of this after the meeting. You can never go entirely on what you read from the media.  :wink:

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 09:49:59 AM »
Nah, MFS wont want to lose their name and history.

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 09:50:58 AM »
South to North this time....shall we start taking bets on who stays and who goes :|
How about a 50/50 split?

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 10:48:57 AM »
They should merge the two, no-one misses out, plenty of crew to respond. It would just mean deciding who keeps there name in the town. Would the retained guys join the CFS or would the MFS allow the CFS guys to become retained so the MFS can keep there name?? Lots of other things to consider, which station do they use, what trucks they keep??? Just another point where are the UFU, they haven't weighed into this debate yet or don't they give a stuff about there retained boys.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 01:06:24 PM »
why not move the kadina MFS to wallaroo and make wallaroo a 2 pump station an the kadina guys can still work out of wallaroo MFS will have to bend the rules a bit but not to much its 13mins drive from one to the other.

wallaroo is becoming the place to be up that way so it makes sence.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 02:04:14 PM »

History Sucks. We're gonna grow old and die anyway...why not have some fun changing things for the **better**!

uniden

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 02:50:51 PM »
Retained firefighters are government employees. They gain an income from this and should be treated with a bit more respect than just talking about shutting them down.

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 03:27:13 PM »
not shutting them down just moving there station and giving them a new one in a better location

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 03:34:07 PM »
Why lose either?  one solution would be to move them both into the one station.  MFS get a rescue/pump and CFS supply a 34.

Maybe encourage a bit of cross membership to ease the burden.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 04:46:36 PM »

MFS lost all their history when they corporatised the SAFB.Now they keep nothing for history :-o
Images are copyright

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 08:54:50 PM »
but why should kadina CFS have there responsibilities changed today there was a VA in kadina and CFS got there first and put a stop on MFS isnt that sort of thing enough to show people CFS can handle it. even if Kadina MFS are moved there is still MFS close by to kadina. i believe keep all the personnel they have between the four stations just just make it three stations with one MFS station having Two pumps thus meaning still same firefighting capabilities just a little bit restructured.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 09:22:49 PM »
problem is that the retainee's at kadina have full time jobs @ kadina, not in wallaroo.

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 09:29:03 PM »
i reckon that one service is actually a top idea.
It would logistically be a nightmare, and getting it set up would cuase such a stink, but government mergers and consolidation of assets could see it happen.

"Hypothetically" Wouldnt it be funny if they said, right, were gonna go and build 200 new super stations (no idea how many would be needed...). We will fill these stations, with crew who are fully trained, and equipment that is suitable for all fire fighting. but we will also keep MFS and CFS going, but not take on any new members. Members can choose to swap to the Super Stations, or stay until eventually there is no more cfs or mfs and only our super stations.

Jees, can you imagine how flooded saff would become if that was even thought about. lol

rescue5271

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 05:33:20 AM »
Merge the two services into one and call them the Kadina volunteer fire and rescue service......From what has been said around the traps All small MFS country stations are under review,with there low call out rate's and low numbers so why not just merge them with the CFS and paint one of those pumpers white :? Works well for me....

anything