Author Topic: Interesting US Website  (Read 4011 times)

Offline Faux Pas

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Interesting US Website
« on: February 14, 2008, 09:55:14 AM »
Found an interesting website the other day when going through some information that a mate passed on to me. Would be good to see this style of system offered, on a non compulsory basis, in CFS/SES.

www.nifc.gov/FireFit/index.htm

What do people think?
Well that's even more than less than unhelpful.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting US Website
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 10:04:58 AM »
Great - but would it happen?
Thanks for the link but
Ken
just another retard!

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 10:24:22 AM »
good idea
there really should be more support of fitness in the CFS

Offline Faux Pas

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 10:58:16 AM »
I think that if it was released as a voluntary option for people to undertake of their own free will it would get more support than if it was a mandatory thing.

It would be good to see brigades pick it up and offer it to people who might like to do it together as a group.
Well that's even more than less than unhelpful.

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 11:22:10 AM »
Good site- The strains and rigours of firefighting certainly take a toll on the body whilst in the field, but another factor, as tests have shown is that our ability to process information and make valued judgements, severely decreases as our body becomes fatigued.
So another benefit from increased fitness is the ability to function mentally at a unimpaired level for longer.
The down side of this initiative is that a few of the staff (CFS) will be under the pump, as they are definitely not an advert for fitness.

Cheers Jaff
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 08:54:16 PM »
biggest loser CFS special??
haha

pumprescue

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 09:33:59 PM »
It would be good for CFS to offer a fitness support program for its firefighters, I for one would participate, its in their best interests to do so, then we can avoid injury and have crews able to go on long term campaign fires without getting so fatigued.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 11:45:30 AM »
It really needs to be looked at seriously for crew safety. Especially in terms of BA/Hazmat.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

uniden

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 07:09:43 PM »
Good site- The strains and rigours of firefighting certainly take a toll on the body whilst in the field, but another factor, as tests have shown is that our ability to process information and make valued judgements, severely decreases as our body becomes fatigued.
So another benefit from increased fitness is the ability to function mentally at a unimpaired level for longer.
The down side of this initiative is that a few of the staff (CFS) will be under the pump, as they are definitely not an advert for fitness.

You are basing this on what? their physical size?

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 10:46:18 PM »
The basis of my comment, (being a fitness instructor)was using the current methods of BMI- body mass index or waist hip measurement, and no I havent taken measurements ,but from a cursory look there are a few staff that would be classed as obese or morbidly obese and as such, would be at a much greater risk of heart disease and other associated conditions.
Granted some larger "active" people, can have a better cardio vascular fitness than thinner sedentary people , but they will always be putting their body under greater stress because of their size.

Cheers Jaff

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 07:09:49 AM »
It should perhaps be noted that many of the CFS staff have lost weight & gained fitness, with encouragement of the CFS Hierarchy.

Well done guys.

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 08:02:38 AM »
Lets start the BMI debate again. Im 183cm, 97kg, my BMI is 29.0 This puts me at the top end of 'Overweight' (BMI 30+). If we look at the recent proposal regarding obesity that includes shifting the definition of 'Overweight' to a BMI between 22.3 - 27.0, with anything above being  classed as 'morbidly obese', then I can only imagine the classification issues it will bring forth for BA courses etc. For myself then to be classed in my "Ideal weight" I would have to look like a malnourished child from a third world country. You could use my rib cage as a xylophone.

The main problem arises when things are classed on BMI alone, such as having the max BMI for BA. As long as people are open minded about a persons fitness and do not pigeonhole them due to a number determined rather poorly, then we should all be ok.

I'm all for volunteer fitness, just so long as a common sense approach is taken.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 07:49:59 PM »
Yep Numbers I agree BMI is and shouldn't be the sole determining factor of ones health, there is no "simple" definitive test and as Pipster has said some members are to be congratulated and encouraged on their efforts so far.
As far as vollie health/fitness checks go its a hard call, as the body is not only being stressed by the physical strain,but also with the metal strain which will have reprocussions felt throughout the body ,difficult to mimic in test results.
So physical fitness ,will always have a direct bearing on your bodies ability to cope in hard firefghting conditions, but the mental strain and personnels  ability to cope with its impact is a wildcard in the deck.

Cheers Jaff

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 06:28:56 PM »
Sally Robbins was supposedly in peak physical fitness with an awesome BMI one would awesome, but even she laid down on the job...

anything