Author Topic: Karoonda Fire Station  (Read 9392 times)

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Karoonda Fire Station
« on: June 22, 2005, 11:59:09 AM »
Has the Karoonda fire station been fixed ?

I thought the new fire stations like Karoonda should have been built to handle sever weather.
Is the CFS looking into the this??And will new fire stations be able to handle the same kind of weather ?

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Karoonda Fire Station
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 01:06:42 PM »
As far as I am aware any emergency service facility needs to be constructed with higher building code standards than a normal but similar structure. With the intent that the building will hopefully be intact and useable after a significant event.

Don't know any specifics about Karoonda.

Good times

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 02:09:05 PM »
Yes it would be interesting to find out what went wrong there, the fire station is supposed to be the place to go if all else is going to crap arpound you. I am most interested as my brigade has the exact same station!!

Hopefully its not a case of it being built by the lowest bidder like most other things!!

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 02:15:38 PM »

The Station Looks Pretty Strong & Well Built To Me What Damage Occured?

strikeathird

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 02:42:08 PM »
First problem, it's made out of tin.

If it were constructed from brick I don't think the same problem would have occured.

Agrees, it will be interesting to see what the new construction materials may be.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 03:19:44 PM »
The Station Looks Pretty Strong & Well Built To Me What Damage Occurred?

From what I could see on TV, it looked like the front part of the roof was ripped off, and the front of the building was damaged...

Good times

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 07:35:55 PM »
The main part of damage is the engine bay roof was ripped off, the left side wall was ripped off and the roller doors were blown in, in the picture imagine their being no roof or side wall at the front, so the most vital part of the fire service , the appliances, were not accessable!

Offline Benji

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 01:10:30 AM »
From what we where told on the Saturday after the storm, they think that the roller door on the left of the above picture gave in to the 150-200kmh winds. When that happened the wind got in and pushed the walls and roof off from the inside. The roller door that blew in was the parking spot for Karoonda Car 1. Karoonda Car 1, 24 and 24 where all undamaged from the event. The shed was built within the last few years to withstand a cat 5 storm.

That is the information that we where given or found out during the initial responce and the many trips to Karoonda since, and with one more trip up due Friday we might yet find out more.

Also, when I was up there today, the shed had not been fixed yet just made safe. I am unsure where the trucks are being held at the momment.

Some more pics from the Salvos and Sturt SES.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 01:12:53 AM by B2 »
Ben(B2)
Crossdressing SES & CFS member

Offline Benji

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 01:20:30 AM »
Should also add, where the tin is still in place there is a wall dividing the truck bay from the comms/ops/meeting room/kitchen etc.

I will try and get a hold of the photos from my units camera and post some of them next week.
Ben(B2)
Crossdressing SES & CFS member

Good times

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 01:50:38 AM »
You look at the side wall, what the hell was holding it on to start with!! looks like it was attached to not much!!

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 09:27:36 AM »
We should also be thankful that the brigade wasn't active at the time - imagine standing in the shed when the door gave way and then the tin started to fly.

The station was built to the CFS standard, as stated to meet disaster requirements. Some of you may remember a few years back there was allot of carry on about the cost of building stations and why CFS weren't building more - the costs were attributed to making them strong and secure enough to withstand extreme weather conditions................................

all you need to do is look at the side now and see that the structure, walls and framing have been ripped apart ........................... makes you wonder if another building material would have been more suitable and have met the standards better???

I'm sure this will be cause for more debriefs, workshops, discussion groups and meetings.
In the mean time lets hope the community of Karoonda is getting back on it's feet and that everyone is OK and that life is returning to normal.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 03:15:44 PM »
I wonder if there are any career fire stations built in this way?

strikeathird

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 02:08:32 AM »
^^ Amen to that!

I thought we provided the same service??  (albeit it un-paid/volluntary)........

So how bout we get the same service delieverd back to us in the way of Stations, equipment  etc etc... 

An ongoing, and never ending saga, i know.

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 02:39:50 PM »
The experts are saying that this event had winds up to about 130kmh, certainly very strong but not a lot considering what they experiance in other cyclone prone states. It would be interesting to see what the weather station on the Karoonda station said before it went off air.

I believe the appliances are currently being housed at the local council depot.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2005, 08:17:05 PM »
Lets just hope they dont have to wait to much longer before it starts to get fixed........

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 02:56:41 PM »
We were called to Karoonda the night of the storm to a "fuel tanker rollover" which I believe turned out to be a tank turned over in a paddock (dunno, never found it). Scary part was that the station was unoperational - the comms room was undamaged but the power board had sustained substantial damage (power was off in whole town as precaution.

Freak event, I know, but really, these standard stations with no space except high above our heads where it can't be used should be a bit more reliable than the standard tin shed!

Katrina
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

rescue5271

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2005, 08:05:10 AM »
I will be up there next week for work so will get some pictures but as far as I know its still wide open appliances are up in the council yard getting wet so I would say the guys would not be enjoying call outs we a wet rear end.....

rescue5271

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2005, 07:31:10 AM »
Well work is underway to get the stationup and running,since my last visit they now have wall's and roof just waiting on new doors the station needs to be re wired and it will be ready. They are still working out of the council yard where its cold and wet.. :x

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2005, 12:15:53 PM »
You'd think getting the local emergency service up and running again would yhave some sort of priority...... By the amount of time its taken them to get that far, its obviously not.....

Gotta love government, red tape and contractors  :roll:

Wagon 1

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2005, 11:29:38 AM »
Yeah you would think so Mike, but I guess a fire service isn't a priority for some...... :?

rescue5271

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2005, 08:02:36 AM »
Well at last the appliances are back in the station all work has been complete and the station looks good they are having a re opening of the station this saturday and I can tell you all they are happy to be back in there station after weeks in the council yard cold and wet....

anything