Author Topic: Burnside Pumper  (Read 63538 times)

Offline Red Message

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Burnside Pumper
« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2008, 06:36:55 PM »
Isn't the rule that the spare appliance takes on the call sign of the appliance that it replaces? Otherwise it get far to confusing.
Stirling CFS
NSWFB 001 Stn.
Firefighter

Offline calspec

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 12, 2008, 07:29:37 PM »
We have digressed from the Topic at hand somewhat, but...

That rule would make sense, to a point!  In this case, the Spare 34 is identified on air as HV34 - the appliance it replaced.  Clarendon, who have the appliance marked HV34 are referring to it as Clarendon 34, not CL24P.  Furthermore, Clarendon 24P is not being referred to as Happy Valley Pumper (for obvious reasons), but is known as HV24P, an otherwise non-existant appliance.  Any replacement appliance should be identified by its service capabilities, ie Pumper, 34, 24, or 24P.  No point calling a truck a 24P if it isn't, just because it replaced a 24P.  Put up your hand if your confused  :lol:

We did trial calling the appliance by its marked identifier, ie CL24P, (actually, that decision was made for us) but that just caused total confusion when other agencies/groups were expecting HV, as per the pager message, and 'Clarendon' showed up at a job.  I think we even got stopped for a job because we came up on air as CL24P.  I think that's when we changed tack.

Can we have our Pumper back now, please, my head hurts!!?

Anyway, how is progress with the next generation Burnside truck??
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 07:31:11 PM by calspec »

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 12, 2008, 07:38:20 PM »
NextGen CFS wooo BRT!!!??? lol

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2008, 09:22:16 AM »
Can we have our Pumper back now, please, my head hurts!!?(quote)

Amen to that :cry:
Images are copyright

Offline pete

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2008, 12:59:15 PM »
Hey Burnside Crew,if i was you guys id be keeping an eye on the company doing your new truck.They dont have a good track record,just ask the St Marys boys..

uniden

« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2008, 06:06:59 PM »
The problems with the St Marys is more to do with the engine management system not working properly in conjunction with the pump I believe. Not a quality issue with the body build up.

Offline Gilly

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2008, 11:14:54 PM »
Yeah thats correct Uniden. I've had a good look at the build of that truck and t looks like a quality unit. Most issues were with the pump and the truck itself.

Offline pete

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2008, 10:20:19 AM »
Cool,they also found the pump wasnt correctly mounted,the tank baffles are welded in instead of being bolted,the monitor pedal release bolted from the pump frame to the body and it broke off.The grab handles in the wrong positions and a list of other things,worth a trip up to check these things.

Offline Gilly

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2008, 11:56:15 PM »
Thanks mate, we planned to go.
St Mary's truck seemed to be a well finished truck, and those issues are fairly minor compared with some of the probs that have occured in recent times from other manufacturers.
I would have thought welded baffles are preferred anyway? Any idea why bolted ones were specified?

Offline pete

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 04, 2008, 10:36:45 AM »
the reason for bolting in the baffles is so after 10 or so years when the tank is due for a new paint job,it is easier to remove the baffles for sand blasting and painting correctly.If there welded in and corrosion has set in,it becomes a pain in the donkey.
The main things which id be checking is the drive line angles and that the pump is bolted correctly.If there is vibration then those reasons may be why.

pumprescue

« Reply #135 on: June 04, 2008, 10:50:30 AM »
Blackwood 24Cafs is a prime example of how not to do it, looks alright, pump shaft was very poorly aligned though. Amongst several other problems, would have been easier to ask for a refund, same with the current batch of 34P's, return them. Then again CFS probably wouldn't have that clause in their contracts, probably saved them a $100..... :-P

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 04, 2008, 11:56:39 AM »
Who built Blackwoods 24CAFS.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline K55

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 04, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
Moore's

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 04, 2008, 05:50:42 PM »
Oh, strike them off the list.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 19, 2008, 12:37:12 AM »
Blackwood 24Cafs is a prime example of how not to do it, looks alright, pump shaft was very poorly aligned though. Amongst several other problems, would have been easier to ask for a refund, same with the current batch of 34P's, return them. Then again CFS probably wouldn't have that clause in their contracts, probably saved them a $100..... :-P

From the sound of it, Blackwood CAFS was well built compared with the woes afflicting the CFS commissioned appliances. Especially given that it is a 1-off prototype, actually cost less than a CFS 34P, and its biggest issue was a defective engine in the cab/chassis from Hino.  The others are production vehicles where the bugs should have been found & fixed in vehicle #1.  No excuse for bugs in later vehicles at all.  Poor contract management.  Period.

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 19, 2008, 05:22:54 AM »
Prototypes are meant to have problems. You iron the bugs out in the first one. The problem arises when CFS refuses to fix the problem, or just patches the issue over and over again.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 19, 2008, 11:31:38 AM »
Prototypes are meant to have problems. You iron the bugs out in the first one. The problem arises when CFS refuses to fix the problem, or just patches the issue over and over again.

Or the problem arises when they... Just build prototypes..
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 01:03:42 PM by RescueHazmat »

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2008, 12:01:09 PM »
Quailty Control is the big issue....i can see it now...the less well off guys in rundle mall hired by "the big issue" holding up this weeks magazine "CFS appliances, Lack of Quality Control". BUT...im actually starting to see the Season Change at last...with this years Varley Builds.

Meanwhile, burnside are the promising bunch, Good luck guys =)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 12:05:06 PM by Zippy »

pumprescue

« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2008, 02:33:39 PM »
Actually Moore's did make a meal of the Darley pump installation on Blackwood CAFS.

Offline K55

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 19, 2008, 02:55:49 PM »
What was the problem with Blackwood 24CAFS? Its still one of the better looking CFS appliances.

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 19, 2008, 03:57:35 PM »
K55 - i believe the first issue was with a defective engine from Hino, replaced under warrantee??? The second issue was with the CAFS, whoever designed it failed to include the switchy thingo that enables you to select how dry the foam should be.... not sure what its called.... changes how much air enters the system.... now these issues are fixed its definitely a great little truck.... why CFS dont pick it up and use as a good urban/rural appliance is beyond me, would be much better to issue to adelaide hills brigades than these new gargantuan 34s and 34ps...

pumprescue - in my book, moores are definitely off the christmas list when it comes to pumps.... useless bunch of.... ;)

Offline K55

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 19, 2008, 04:48:31 PM »
OMGWTF. Are you a Blackwood Firefighter?

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 19, 2008, 06:22:21 PM »
OMGWTF, are you referring to the Foam Proportioner?

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 19, 2008, 07:42:05 PM »
Wasnt part of the issue with the Blackwood CAFS unit, that a shaft wasnt balanced properly and gradually it damaged the unit,just what I hear :wink:
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 19, 2008, 07:53:02 PM »
OMGWTF...can blackwood 24 cafs act as a pumper aswell?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 07:54:53 PM by Zippy »

anything