Author Topic: [AdelaideNow/Advertiser] Country volunteers shortage  (Read 2696 times)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
[AdelaideNow/Advertiser] Country volunteers shortage
« on: February 18, 2008, 11:42:47 AM »
THE state's mining boom and the devastating effects of the drought have left some country towns critically short of volunteers.

Volunteers are unsung heroes.Both the Country Fire Service and the State Emergency Service are experiencing a volunteer ``crisis'' in some areas, as an increasing number of families leaves rural areas.

The SA rural sector has faced significant change over the past decade with industry groups saying many farmers have left the land to find work in the mining industry and the city.

An estimated 20 to 30 per cent of farmers is also expected to leave the industry in the next five years.

Fire and Emergencies Commissioner David Place said this was having a negative impact on volunteer numbers.

``There are some small towns that only have half a dozen to a dozen volunteers and when two or three people or one family moves out, that can have devastating impacts on volunteer numbers,'' he said.

``Some of these rural-based people who were our volunteers in country towns are also going into the mining industry.''

Mr Place said not only was there a shortage of volunteers, but also that those who were available could not always attend emergencies during working hours.

A new sector-wide approach aimed at rewarding both volunteers and their employers will be launched this month.

``We will be doing what we can to recognise the value of the volunteers as well as their employers and do what we can to support them,'' Mr Place said.

``If you reward and recognise volunteers, then recruitment and retention issues become a bit easier. The volunteers as well as their employers who let them go are the unsung heroes.''

From July 1, employers whose staff volunteer will be exempt from payroll tax for the hours staff spend away from work.

Minister for Emergency Services Carmel Zollo said volunteers were highly valued.

``The support we provide to volunteers and their employers is part of an important new framework aimed at reinforcing how valued they are,'' she said.

Call 1300 364 587 to become a volunteer.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,23228820-2682,00.html?from=public_rss

Seems brigades out in the far reachs where farmers used run the land are struggling for members  :-(

Interesting about the Payroll Tax change!

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: [AdelaideNow/Advertiser] Country volunteers shortage
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 11:46:28 AM »
Seems brigades out in the far reachs where farmers used run the land are struggling for members  :-(

Interesting about the Payroll Tax change!

As someone on SACFS list pointed out, payroll tax isn't payable until the wages bill exceeds $500,000 or so. The rebate isn't payable unless the employer pays the volunteer for the time they are absent.  So...

If payable at 10% of a person's $20/hr wage & that person is away for 8 hrs, that's a grand total of $16 refundable to that employer, for which they had to outlay $160 for nothing, AND work around that employee's absence. Plus it would likely cost about $30 or $40 in labour to go through the process of claiming it by the time the forms are completed & lodged, proof of absence, proof of ES/FS activity & proof of wages mainenance have been obtained & provided. (Bit of a disincentive to claim anything, yes?)  Small businesses & self-employed (as usual) get nothing. 

It's the gift you tell people you are giving when you don't really intend to give anything at all.

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 08:20:13 PM »
However its something - at least they are trying something different.
I agree its not much & the detail hasn't quite been soughted out.
How it is my understanding is there is more on the way.
I guess watch this place sorry space!
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
However its something - at least they are trying something different.
I agree its not much & the detail hasn't quite been soughted out.
How it is my understanding is there is more on the way.
I guess watch this place sorry space!
cheers

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.  I think the various govts took a conscious decision to promote something that looks & sounds good to average mug punter in the street but which doesn't actually cost any money.

I'll take notice when they start doing stuff like waiving active volunteers' ESL (still a really cheap option at around $1M including admin costs).  Or rewarding employers who release their people to attend emergencies (at maybe $5 tax free per hour spent away from the work-place). No matter what is come up with, there will be some who miss out (home & business renters for example), but the numbers have to be big enough to mean something.  Until then there's a big red flashing sign that reads "DANGER - SPIN CYCLE IN PROGRESS"

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.