Author Topic: Paging regular sitreps  (Read 13557 times)

rescue5271

Re: Paging regular sitreps
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 05:59:41 PM »
Its 25 cents per pager message......but its not so much the paging but the fact that some members are not able to attend a call out due to work or family life so is it really worth while that brigade's do this kind of paging?? There is a life out there and sometimes you just cant go,I know if our group or brigade did this type of paging that some familys would be pissed off to the max not to mention if your at work and the filtered pager keeps going off for sitreps.....pagers are there to be used for emergency call outs and also to pass on information to members not to be used every time you are out and about.as for the old dogs well tell them to turn the radio or scanner on and hear what is going on...

Offline Benji

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2008, 11:40:01 PM »
As Link is the provider, wouldn't they be the ones charging??
Ben(B2)
Crossdressing SES & CFS member

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2008, 06:06:42 AM »
I have mentioned this to several people in our brigade and these are the comments I got.

if I have not turned up for the job there is a reason, it is not because I am lazy I just can't get there and I really don't need to keep getting disturbed and it makes me want to turn the pager off and that means I might miss the next job.

I will string you up by your toes if you start to do paging like this,

work will probaby ask me to not wear my pager there as it is constantly going off when it is not needed. This is because sometimes I can not leave work but sometimes I can but there is no point if this is what is going to happen

Then a whole lot of comments that involved running me over with the fire truck if I started doing that
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2008, 07:39:18 AM »
Easy solution put it on vibrate , put it in your pocket and just :-o woohoo!
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2008, 07:49:18 AM »
There's better things to do in the radio room other than playing with Airsource every few minutes...surf the net?? ring up ya friends to pass the time?? heh

Keep the pagers just for Response paging, calling for more crew and the occasional information message ;)

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2008, 09:13:00 AM »
mmmmmm

righto...keep up those regular paged sitreps.....in fact - why don't all brigades start doing it for every job....the more the better - I think it's a great idea!!

'scuse me....I'm just off to top up my telstra shares....

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2008, 12:24:13 PM »
Its 25 cents per pager message...

who told you that?  it's wrong.  There is an overall fee paid for use of the GRN and it includes all services/facilities available, the cost is not charged individually per page sent or radio PTT etc.  Perhaps what is being refered to (just a guess) is someone took an overall figure, divided by the number of pages sent and said that equates to Xc/page.  It's like the RAA work out that a certain model of car costs $X per km to use, it's sort of right overall but not how you pay for it.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2008, 01:50:21 PM »
Darius - does it matter? It costs, is filtered annoying for those who receive them and is not required. We used to get every warning issued in the state by mail drop & SMS. Thankfully that has stopped now.
Anyway its one of those "Who gives a filtered" subjects.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline filtered

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2008, 07:10:18 PM »
Darius - does it matter? It costs

Um, no it doesn't...  There is no cost associated with sending messages.

The cost is per pager registered on the network - the services pay an annual fee for each pager whether it receives any messages or not.

This is why CFS had a push on completing pager audits not so long ago so that all "missing" pagers were deregistered, reducing the overall cost.

Offline MBKR19

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2008, 07:23:19 PM »
Paging regular sitreps would be a good idea. It keeps people knowing about what is happening. It means that people can go to the station to be a relief crew or whatever they need to do to help the guys out on the truck.
First in, Last out.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2008, 07:27:34 PM »
Paging regular sitreps would be a good idea. It keeps people knowing about what is happening. It means that people can go to the station to be a relief crew or whatever they need to do to help the guys out on the truck.

What? How many times are extra people at the station needed, aside from major incidents? Good old Heysen group...
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2008, 07:33:33 PM »
yeah any more than 1 page is excessive

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2008, 07:34:47 PM »
Darius - does it matter? It costs

Um, no it doesn't...  There is no cost associated with sending messages.

The cost is per pager registered on the network - the services pay an annual fee for each pager whether it receives any messages or not.

This is why CFS had a push on completing pager audits not so long ago so that all "missing" pagers were deregistered, reducing the overall cost.

Im not going to doubt you, but I have been told by a few sources of quite the opposite.. - Did there used to be a cost per message?.. I was told only last year that every page sent through link, sent to a CFS pager charged the CFS/SAFECOM.. ??

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2008, 08:11:37 PM »
I personally don't care what the blasted things cost to send but I can tell you now that if we kept that level of rediculous updating of a job as it happens we would have so many people turning of their pagers and then they aren't available if required. Surely there is some sort of regulation/ruling to this, I can understand if there has been a suggestion that relief crews might be required that an update of the situation to say that it is undercontrol and no relief will be required but truck leaving station, crew spraying foam/water, crew refilling with water, crew spraying again, crew leaving scene, crew back at station, crew tucked into bed. Where do we finish up??? Maybe everyone should have their own personal access and we can let everyone know every day if we are available, or if we are unavailable for a few hours then let them know again when we are back on being available
Okay I've raved on enough, I'm going to go and read a book and watch the cricket, too long a day, worked too hard and I'm hoping my *#% pager doesn't go off tonight
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2008, 11:02:19 PM »
All brigades that have Airsource on their computer have a dialup modem in the GRN Box.You page it dials out and yes it costs 25 cents everytime!!

Also acquaint yourself with Link's terms and conditions

1. The Service 

Link Web messaging is a service provided by Link whereby paging messages can be sent to a Link pager or Digital Mobile Phone via the Internet (the "Service")

2. You acknowledge that: 

(a) Link may disclose information about your transactions to the Link customer to whom your paging messages are sent ("Customer");
  (b) the Customer will be liable for Link's fees for the cost of the paging message you send; and
  (c) the Customer has provided to you the Customer's pager number or mobile number for use by you for transmitting messages via the Internet using Link's website.

:-P

Images are copyright

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2008, 07:02:44 AM »
did the pager go off davi?

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2008, 07:04:19 AM »
No!!I had the best sleep out, didn't even here others leave in the middle of the night to go and cart grapes.
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2008, 08:17:49 AM »
Listen to everyone having a whinge......! :roll:

Had you considered that the person/people involved may be thinking that they are doing exactly the right thing. Perhaps the view is that the Group level want to know what is happening. There does not need to be an SOP or directive for a way of doing things to be normal.

If I was a DGO or GO in a group and was receiving too much information I would politely let the brigades know. If in this case no one in the group is complaining, what is the issue.

The only issue here is that you can read the messages on a web site and somehow tihnk the way you do business is much better than anothers way. Grow Up.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2008, 11:02:45 AM »
What works for one brigade may be an absolute pain in the butt for another!!

I don't know what thought processes are for the brigades we are talking about BUT, it may be something that the members of those brigades actually want - and they may be quite happy to get that information.

I think it is unfair to assume that if you don't do it in your brigade then anyone that does something different, then it must be bad / wrong etc

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2008, 11:56:51 AM »
Either way, I definately wouldn't like it and am glad I don't have to put up with it.

Firefrog - First time you have commented on people having a whinge about anything, and this thread is only 2 pages!!

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2008, 12:07:23 PM »
I'm all for having a crack at the establishment (hierarchy) if things aren't right. But I see red when we criticise our peers.

Seems petty and tribal - I can't stand tribal thinking "My tribe does it like this so your tribe is wrong"