Author Topic: Roller Doors  (Read 9949 times)

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Roller Doors
« on: March 09, 2008, 09:29:33 AM »
Well after reading a few comments that some service can't get out the door because the power went out is a real concern. Bit hard to say you are professional if you can't get out the front door.
So what are the options??
Not all roller doors are the same, but a few options are  Back Up Power. A wall mounted Uninterpretable Power Supply (UPS) will allow you to operate your door in
the case of a power failure. Some roller doors have the chain installed that you can use to pull up the door if you have a power problem.
I think that the management of the unit needs a hand, just saying we asked the power to be for this to get fixed is not good enough. Yes go through the chain of command, up to the minister if required. If this fails go to the media. The public  deserve better. And the unit deserves it as well. I feel for the members who have given time up to go to a call and can' respond.

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Roller Doors
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 09:59:15 AM »
Okay now I have learnt something this morning, I just assumed that all electronic doors would have a manual system as well. It it to do with a particular company, type of door, type of system?
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 10:13:41 AM »
I know we have a chain on our doors  but i don't know if it needs something pulled or disconnected first. i guess i'll ask Monday night

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 03:06:18 PM »
We have chains on ours, but require you to go up a ladder about 5m and flick a switch. So we just use either the old station generator or hook up the doors to the generator off 24P, causing probably a 2 min response delay.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 04:17:08 PM »
One would hope if they knew the blackout may last a while they would go and flick the switch so no delay is necessary.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 05:23:52 PM »
A few of our doors are auto, a few of them are chain only. Those that are auto, have a chain backup but it requires some work to get it going. Appliances are stationed so that if the auto doors fail a fire and rescue response can still be initiated through the chain doors. Also if there is a long term blackout, members head to the station, fire up the emergency lighting and preemptively open the auto doors by hand.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 07:14:51 PM »
meh - drive thru it.  they can be replaced.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 01:25:11 PM »
Our doors are electric. If power goes out just start pulling the chain. No switch to flick. Very good set up.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 01:44:17 PM »
I heard of a brigade in a rural town, which had a joint CFS / SES station, that had electric doors, but apparently no manual override.

On fire ban days, a member would go to the station, and open the doors, and then leave.

In the event of a power failure, they could at least get vehicles out.

This is something that someone else told me, so I haven't seen the set up, and not sure if it entirely true, but an interesting solution should the info be correct!!

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline littlejohn

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 03:25:42 PM »
Ours all have a light chain hanging down the side.

Giving the chain a tug disconnects the gears on the electric motor (so I'm told), so you then just have to either give the door a shunt, or use the chains like a manual door.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 03:32:32 PM »
The SES Operations Unit vehicles are stored in an old workshop style building that has a chain to lift the roller door. But I noticed that some metro SES Units have electric roller doors and some do not.

Do the electric roller doors really make that much difference in time & convenience when responding to a pager call ?
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 03:36:54 PM »
well our door is up by the time we get to the station and if it isn't we can just hit the open button and it goes up without a person having to stand there enabling them to get changed quicker.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 04:16:46 PM »
The SES Operations Unit vehicles are stored in an old workshop style building that has a chain to lift the roller door. But I noticed that some metro SES Units have electric roller doors and some do not.

Do the electric roller doors really make that much difference in time & convenience when responding to a pager call ?

One less job you have to worry about. Several variances in how they are utilised. Some go up with pager/siren, some hold until security is disarmed then go up and some stay down until someone pushes the 'up' button

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 06:20:22 PM »
i just have one question--

all of the doors i have seen (i have not seen all brands)

but

the doors i have seen the motors all plug in to a power point! so instead of piss farting around with chains wouldn't it be easier to start a gen set up???
i know salisbury has one fixed to the wall just waiting for the day the power goes out.

as i have said this is just what i have seen. i have also seen (not is cfs stations) hard wire units.

one would think the for the $5-$10 more you can put a power point in that would be a fail safe??

my ideas only
Phillip H
Salisbury CFS (Para Group)
FireFighter
(Firey9119)

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 02:46:32 PM »
Morphett Vale have electric roller doors with remote controls in the appliances, If no one is left in the station when the appliances roll out the door the roller doors are put down via the remote in the trucks.

All the essential equipment in our station is connected to our generator, so when the power is out we just start the gennie and open the doors.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 03:37:14 PM »
Oh yeah forgot about that, we have the remotes too and the remote can also arm/disarm the alarm as well
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 05:19:25 PM »
i know bridgewater have remotes for both ther doors and alarm in their trucks but i have noticed ther system is hard wired but i thing they have a big donkey gen setup,

stirling are still in the dark ages only chains!!

Phillip H
Salisbury CFS (Para Group)
FireFighter
(Firey9119)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 10:45:41 PM »
stirling are still in the dark ages only chains!!

Stirling has 2 electric and 3 chain operated doors.  The electric ones come up when the alarm is disarmed, and don't have generator backup.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 11:03:24 PM »
Stirling has 2 electric and 3 chain operated doors.  The electric ones come up when the alarm is disarmed, and don't have generator backup.
Perhaps they should get with the times? Surely a generator backup is the LEAST they should have?
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Red Message

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 11:05:15 PM »
Our 3 chain and 2 electric have served us well in the past. I don't see any need for us to upgrade to anything else. We set things up so in the event of a malfunction we can still respond.
Stirling CFS
NSWFB 001 Stn.
Firefighter

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 11:07:34 PM »
Perhaps they should get with the times? Surely a generator backup is the LEAST they should have?
Ahh, to be rich!

anything