Author Topic: SA's Fixed wing firefighting aircraft  (Read 11579 times)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
SA's Fixed wing firefighting aircraft
« on: March 16, 2008, 06:38:16 PM »
I was talking to a mate of mine not CFS who claimed that he saw some firefighting aircraft the were not helicopters picking up water with out landing, like skimming across the water. I didn't think we had any aircraft that could do this do we?

uniden

Re: SA's Fixed wing firefighting aircraft
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 07:30:08 PM »
not in SA.

Offline scrawns1

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 10:34:27 PM »
I don't think there is anything in OZ, but I could be wrong. A few years ago we had the Canadair aircraft here, they were designed for this purpose but our reservoir's weren't big enough to take this aircraft, and if the swell was 1/2 metre or more it could not collect any water from the sea, and would have to be filled on the ground. I think they could carry 30,000litres of water but not quite sure, it was a few years ago now, but someone on here might remember.  :-D
Shane
SES Sturt Unit

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 11:32:06 PM »
The Canadair was trialled here a few years ago, but (thankfully) not taken up by SA, for the reasons you list scrawns - although I think it was more like 9000 litres, than 30,000 litres (but I'm digging to the back of the memory bank, so my figures may not be correct.)

There are some huge bombing aircraft in America, which carry large quantities of water which may be 30,000 litres.

A few months ago, I think in NSW, there was a pilot killed when his fire bombing aircraft crashed into a lake, while they were trialling a way of scooping water from the lake, so I suppose in a way there was something other than a chopper taking water from the lake...albeit not very successful.

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 01:31:27 AM »
I don't think there is anything in OZ, but I could be wrong. A few years ago we had the Canadair aircraft here, they were designed for this purpose but our reservoir's weren't big enough to take this aircraft, and if the swell was 1/2 metre or more it could not collect any water from the sea, and would have to be filled on the ground. I think they could carry 30,000litres of water but not quite sure, it was a few years ago now, but someone on here might remember.  :-D

The Canadairs are the ones that were tested & rejected. the CL-215 could lift 4000L & the CL-415 can lift 6000L.  In 2001 when I researched it, the CL-415 cost just shy of AU$30M each, needs a crew of 2, & if not operating off a lake (haven't seen many of them in rural SA), need lots of concrete runway (haven't seen many of them either). 
http://www.bombardier.com/index.jsp?id=3_0&lang=en&file=/en/3_0/3_3/3_3_0.html

By comparison, the AT802F lifts around 3000L, cost AU$1.2M & can operate from any paddock.  http://airtractor.com/at-802f

Do the maths....  :-)

AirTractor do a seaplane kit for the AT802F that lets them skim & scoop. They call it the "Fire Boss".  Col Pay was killed late last year testing one in the Hunter.  :-(

cheers
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 08:10:56 AM »
ok thanks for that :-)

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 10:04:34 AM »
Those American water bombers have about an hour turn around i believe.  They can only land on full length runways and take ages to refill.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 05:39:11 PM »
Oh well...in the newspaper last week, Foley has promised an aircrane in SA for the next fire season...I would be interested in how it is going to be paid for because next years SES budget has been decreased   :oops:
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 05:59:10 PM »
every major fire since KI in Region 1 and 2 has had the Skycrane responded so far right?   We don't need to buy a skycrane when we already have one available to us...

Once again this is just media hype, no extra money will have to be spent since its already being spent.  Rann, and the rest of the labor government...please stop being so camera happy.

Bring on having a few more AirTractors and Helitaks (of the Koala kind ;))
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 06:04:12 PM by ZippyK34 »

Offline scrawns1

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 07:55:13 PM »
Bring on having a few more AirTractors and Helitaks (of the Koala kind ;))

Agree with you there Zippy. What did happen to the 2 Coulson Helitacks that were based at Brukunga early in the season?
I believe there was one Koala based at the airport, still badged as 533 I think, it was from Heliair, but I dont think it was used anywhere :-(.

bajdas not good news again :-(.
Shane
SES Sturt Unit

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 08:49:38 PM »
I would suggest, as others have, it would be leased for the whole summer, not brought over when its thought it might be required.. - I think they are around 30million? if bought outright?

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 10:59:41 PM »
$30mil + ongoing costs :P

yeh the koala's seemed to just drop out of the sky entirely...they were great lil choppers!

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 12:56:14 AM »
Rather than blaming media hype, perhaps people should have had a closer look at the recommendations from the Wangary fire.

The Coroner recommended that the State investigate the possibility of getting a skycrane stationed in SA permanently......

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 08:59:13 AM »
Pip you are right of course - investigate the possibility!
Is it really the best option? 1 skycrane + support equipment + additional personnel, is this really the best way to spend limited dollars?
Yes Wangary was a tragedy & yes aircraft are a valuable tool, however what will be cut to buy this?
What will it do in the winter months? Will it really improve the safety of the community at large or just the Adelaide Hills face?
Remember the coroner is not an expert on everything - the ACT had a bigger tragedy and the coroner made various recommendations, however the government there hasn't rushed out and bought Skycranes or anything else!
The Dandenongs & the Eastern part of Victoria & the Blue Mountains, northern Sydney & the area around Sunderland shire in NSW are also high risk areas, yet neither government are buying them.
I remember that when I did my Emergency Management course we were told then that even though the public think that aircraft are the answer to the wildfire problem, in fact its troops on the ground & good training that is most effective against wild fire. And think of this What if there are several large going fires threatening communities (i.e Ash Wednesday), the Skycrane can't be everywhere can it? So who will miss out then? $30 million can equip & train a lot of fire fighters or do a lot in the area of prevention.
Just my thoughts, after all I'm not a firey :wink:
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 09:12:16 AM »
And think of this What if there are several large going fires threatening communities (i.e Ash Wednesday), the Skycrane can't be everywhere can it?

Thats a good point raised.  We need to be prepared for our worst case scenario which is multiple large going fires.  Relying on a single aircraft for that amount of money can only assist in one or two of the fires.  While more Fixed Wings would be able to be distributed around the multiple fires.

I think our current set up is fine right now, and is already better than what we had prior the wangary fires.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 09:13:07 AM »
I think 30 mill is more than the entire CFS budget?

But I believe that SA will not buy a crane put put out a contract.

Did the coroner mention anything more specific than look at getting a aricrane? like some backing up footnotes or something

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 09:14:42 AM »
I believe the CFS has already met one of the recommendations of putting 2 Aircraft on the Eyre Peninsula, much like the Mt Gambier Airbase setup.   That was definately a great decision.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 09:16:53 AM by Zippy's Fruit Juice »

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 07:11:58 PM »
I remember that when I did my Emergency Management course we were told then that even though the public think that aircraft are the answer to the wildfire problem, in fact its troops on the ground & good training that is most effective against wild fire. And think of this What if there are several large going fires threatening communities (i.e Ash Wednesday), the Skycrane can't be everywhere can it? So who will miss out then? $30 million can equip & train a lot of fire fighters or do a lot in the area of prevention.

WELL SAID!!!

The aircranes are available to us every year through the national aerial scheme but we have to share with act, tas and us? so do we really need a dedicated aircrane to us?

30m spent on updating training, PPE, better equipment for our trucks etc i believe would be better spent.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 07:34:24 PM »
30m spent on updating training, PPE, better equipment for our trucks etc i believe would be better spent.

$30mil would go a long way in terms of training and equipment.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 09:40:16 PM »
Oh well...in the newspaper last week, Foley has promised an aircrane in SA for the next fire season...I would be interested in how it is going to be paid for because next years SES budget has been decreased   :oops:

Maybe I mis-typed or mis-worded the above posting, but I read the article that SA would have the aircraft allocated to SA next fire season....no mention of buying one.

IS the $30 million being discussed the cost of operating a helitanker for the fire season or cost of purchase ? I doubt SA Government would buy one.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 09:02:37 AM »
the coulsons contract was only for a few months, the helitaks went home when it expired [after being extended once or twice...]

an aircrane is nice and dandy, and looks fantastic on the front page of the 'tiser or screaming across your telly at home on the 6 o'clock news...

but imagine if the same money for an aircrane contract, was spent on an extra 6 (i have been told it would work out to roughly) air tractors.... meaning the ability to station more aircraft on the LEP & LSE and another 2 'spares' in the MLR.

My dream would be;

4 Air Tractors on the LEP (currently 2)
4 Air Tractors in the LSE (currently 2), perhaps 2 at Naracoorte, 2 at Mt Gambier
6 Air Tractors in the MLR (currently 4 during the peak of the season), perhaps 4 at Woodside, 1 at Cherry & 1 at Mt Crawford...

Now that would make a much bigger differance than one aircrane that would struggle to work outside of the Adelaide Hills, due to fuel usage & water availability.

But ill just have to keep dreaming.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 09:52:28 AM »
youve got it pretty much right on target OMGWTF...nice thinking!

Offline Gilly

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 03:47:58 PM »
Aircranes offer a better service than airtractors. they can pick up from anywhere without landing, dams, even a pool, and can hold 3 times an air tractor. They could put at least 10 times the water on a fire than an air tractor over the same time period. (and in most places, water sources are fairly close by).
They can also direct water easier, are safer than fixed wings, can dump more concentrated loads (lower speeds).
People are too willing to "shoot down" things due to cost, without really looking at the advantages.

I'm more than happy to have an air-crane here as they are so effective. The government is not buying one for $30m, just having one here for the whole season (which was done basically this year anyway...).

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 04:23:17 PM »
Skycrane Waterbombers probably do have there place,  and thats probably only the Rural/Urban interface..not so much the flatland and plantation fires.

While i support air tractor's more as they can do much more with there water.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 04:25:22 PM by Zippy's Fruit Juice »

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 05:56:05 PM »
Aircranes offer a better service than airtractors. they can pick up from anywhere without landing, dams, even a pool, and can hold 3 times an air tractor. They could put at least 10 times the water on a fire than an air tractor over the same time period. (and in most places, water sources are fairly close by).
They can also direct water easier, are safer than fixed wings, can dump more concentrated loads (lower speeds).
People are too willing to "shoot down" things due to cost, without really looking at the advantages.

I'm more than happy to have an air-crane here as they are so effective. The government is not buying one for $30m, just having one here for the whole season (which was done basically this year anyway...).

Some good points there Gilly....but

1 aircrane compared to 6 air tractors.  Do those advantages you state still outweigh 6 air tractors?

Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)