Author Topic: Which helmet torch?  (Read 4521 times)

Offline Deeg

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Which helmet torch?
« on: April 30, 2008, 06:14:01 PM »
Hi all, does anybody have some first hand experience with which helmet torch performs the best in a smoke filled environment such as for search and rescue in house fire. Seems to be pro's and con's for both. Any opinions would be great.
Thanks

-UK 4AA Xenon torch

-UK 4AA eLED Zoom torch

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
Re: Which helmet torch?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 09:43:30 PM »
I use the UK4AA Xenon, haven't used the eLED. I've used other LED torches and have found them to reflect off fog and smoke moreso than the Xenon bulb. The Xenon appears to cut through smoke a fair bit better.

To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Red Message

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 09:50:43 PM »
The Xenon is good. I have not used any LED ones.

Have you thought about a Super Sabrelite 2000 as a (not helmet) torch? They are great torches, very durable and great in smoke filled environments.
Stirling CFS
NSWFB 001 Stn.
Firefighter

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 07:57:41 AM »
Im a fan of the Xenon lights for the same reasons as the others have already mentioned.

Anything made by Pelican in particular.... Cant beat the warranty on them ;)

ltdan

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 01:14:21 PM »
Have used both recently in the BATA at STC for R&D.  I currently have a xenon light on and have had one for a number of years.  But when I tried the led recently i was quite surprise in its performance.

The UK 4AA eLED Zoom torch gives you pretty well the same performance as the xenon but I think it lacks the depth of penetration as the xenon.  Not much, but their is a difference.

Please remember what are you trying to achieve, personal safety or search & rescue capabilities.  You are probably going to say both.  So either way both torches meet the "bar"

The led torch has improved since the introduction a few years ago, and even the pencil type led torch which some firefighters use give enough protection for personal safety and search & rescue capabilities. 

Some type of helmet torch should be mandatory in the fire service.  I personally think its up their with gloves and goggles.  Not holding a torch to do a task is great.  The organisation should be recommending and pushing this piece of equipment.

Think about purchasing a torch which is universal, so it is good to use in a bushfire at night or a MVA.  Any of the UK brand will do this.

And Saberlite are great. we have them on our caba sets and I use them at work, the best torch I think I have used. 8-)

Offline Deeg

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 09:56:07 AM »
Thanks for that guys.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 09:52:17 AM »
All I can say is if you have an equipment budget left over get your orders for extra PPE items in before the 17th :wink:

Torches especially :-D
Images are copyright