Author Topic: CFS appliance repairs  (Read 4933 times)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
CFS appliance repairs
« on: May 09, 2008, 11:15:27 PM »
Why is Monash34 out? As for the rest as I said not concerned, that area is far closer to us than Barmera. But I'm not loosing any sleep, as there isnt much that can be done about it anyway.
cheers Backburn
Ken
just another retard!

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
CFS appliance repairs
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 08:13:21 AM »
Maybe thats the idea :-D they don't want us to read it! And I remember what happened to Monash 34(I was a witness), thought it would be fixed by now that was weeks ago!
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

rescue5271

CFS appliance repairs
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 08:57:25 AM »
Just drive past the MFS workshop and look at all the appliances waiting to be fixed....

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
CFS appliance repairs
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 02:31:10 PM »
Maybe thats the idea :-D they don't want us to read it! And I remember what happened to Monash 34(I was a witness), thought it would be fixed by now that was weeks ago!
cheers

Can not get parts for it in Australia so they say some arrive mid this month but they are trying to get it done sooner but so far no luck.

rescue5271

CFS appliance repairs
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 04:47:03 PM »
Time CFS looked at buying item's and leave on a shelf somewhere rather than wait 8 to 12 weeks just to fix a pump or what ever else or better still start using part that are around and able to be found in AUSTRALIA.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
CFS appliance repairs
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 04:49:04 PM »
CFS/MFS Combined Workshops with all year paid mechanics ;)

rescue5271

CFS appliance repairs
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 04:50:24 PM »
sounds good to me how about on road guys like CFA who can also do a real service on the appliances..............

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
CFS appliance repairs
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 05:49:02 PM »
Are then maybe people will think twice when asked to do something the truck is not designed to do :wink: - and they broke a primemover as well doing the same thing:-D jeez it was fun to watch.
Must admit it helped lighten the mood in what was a pretty long & down sought of day- thanks CFS!
Cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: CFS appliance repairs
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 11:59:36 PM »
anyone care to share or is it on the down low?
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 02:18:27 PM »
Basically we were all at the semi vs bdouble fatal a few weeks ago & I decided to do the extracation at a secure location. So the primemover had to be separated from the trailer, so someone (the local truck people where we were going with the primemover)asked the guys doing the fire cover (Monash) to pull the primemover out from under the trailer, the problem which failed to be considered was the brakes on the primemover were locked on. Winding the Maxi's off wasn't an option as it was interfering with evidence, pumping air into the system wasn't an option either as the compressor & associated piping were destroyed in the accident. We had called a lowloader and large mobile crane, however individuals decided not to wait & sadly the CFS guy's were happy to assist, despite words of warning from us (I had seen this all before & it didn't work that time either). I believe the placement of the chain & the forces involved (remember the primemover has four rear tyres locked on bitumen)pulled the rear tailshaft out of the gearbox. It was not the fault of the local CFS guys as they were following the advice of the local "experts".
Just remember your trucks not designed to drag stuff! Anyway I hope I haven't dropped anyone in it & as I said they were given dud advice & it was a very long day (12 hours for that crew), so don't be too critical of them.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 09:18:08 PM »
COSO 7 refers to this in Recovery, but the appliance should not have been used to dismantle the scene at all, and given the information before it was done as OIC he should have said NO :-o
Images are copyright

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 10:01:21 PM »
Yep in hindsight they shouldn't have done it, but as I said they were acting on dodgy advice, though we were saying it wasn't a good idea & I instructed my guys to have nothing to do with it. Around here there is a "suck it & see mentality" &  I know the driver concerned was suitably embarrassed.
I know I have gone over my decision to do the extracation off site several times, even had an informal peer review of the decision. However I still think it was the right choice & everyone there now knows not to try & tow trucks with appliances! So I guess a lesson learnt, eventhough it was an expensive one.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

rescue5271

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 07:16:39 AM »
Well what can one say but shame -shame - shame...

anything