Author Topic: Fire in your brigade or LHQ  (Read 5577 times)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Fire in your brigade or LHQ
« on: May 15, 2008, 10:04:20 PM »
Just for something different to discuss. I read the following article tonight:-
-----------------------
"A STATE Emergency Service building in Sydney's inner west was gutted by fire overnight, NSW Fire Brigades said.

Firefighters were called to the Strathfield area SES building on Coronation Parade in Enfield shortly before 3am (AEST) today.

There they found the wooden 30m by 10m structure well alight.

No one was inside and firefighters were able to protect the SES emergency vehicle inside and surrounding properties.

It took six units to put out the fire shortly before 5am (AEST), but the building was gutted, firefighters said.

Crews remained on site mopping up".
-----------------------

I work in the Information Technology area & we are very aware of business continuity issues in the event of a small or large emergency.

The worst scenario is that we cannot get into the building's computer room for a week due to fire or other incident. How does the information stayed secured & be available ? How does the business keep running ?

Within your local Brigade or Headquarters, if you were fire damaged I assume it is just a default to the next service if an incident occurs.

I also assume that if your CFS Brigade shed is on fire & you cannot get to the truck, then you would wait for the next available resource to arrive. Is this correct ?

But what about the personnel & financial records ? Do you think the brigade would be rebuilt or survive ?

I know that Karoonda CFS shed was badly damaged by storm a few years ago & it was rebuilt with no issues. So I assume I am being paranoid.

What do you think ?
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Fire in your brigade or LHQ
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 07:58:02 AM »
Andrew, that sounds like BCP to me. A BCP for all contingencies should be part of SAFECOM risk planning (considering how far they have gone on other Risk issues I doubt it). Can't see any big problem though, structure loss & equipment loss etc would be eassy to replace & coverage would be rather simple as well. It would be an interesting exercise to "table top" though.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 09:31:16 AM »
Hmmm well sure default to the next available resource but as for spare appliances......well politics seems to be at play for a red truck as a replacement, so I think the old Sellicks 34 will be doing the rounds for a while yet before its sold, or ex Riverton 32. :-P
Images are copyright

Offline calspec

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 11:53:45 AM »
Not just the truck.  Assuming total loss of all equipment/trucks in that scenario, replacment of all necessary equipment to enable business continuity.  Everything from PPE and BA, to hoses, branches and other "tools of trade", even simple things like keys to locks etc etc.

Does CFS, as a business, have a "BIRP" in place for that unfortunate event should it happen.  BIRP = Business Interuption and Recovery Plan.  Do they have a full stock of equipment stored ready to go out to a brigade.  The "Spare" truck supplied to us while ours is out for repairs is NOT fully stocked and ready to go, it has only basic stowage.  It would take some time to accumulate all the necessary gear.  Next nearest station would have to cover the area for quite some time.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 12:04:04 PM »
Does CFS, as a business, have a "BIRP" in place for that unfortunate event should it happen.  BIRP = Business Interuption and Recovery Plan.  Do they have a full stock of equipment stored ready to go out to a brigade.  The "Spare" truck supplied to us while ours is out for repairs is NOT fully stocked and ready to go, it has only basic stowage.  It would take some time to accumulate all the necessary gear.  Next nearest station would have to cover the area for quite some time.

dont think so, if Sellicks 34 is the only Spare available to Region 1...

Personally a fully stowed Pumper should be available at a busy brigade to be deployed to another busy brigade at any time there own 2WD or 4WD pumper is out of service.

Eg Happy Valley could have:  "Region 1 Spare Pumper"...which could be stored at....Mt Barker CFS for example.

Quailty of service retained at all times ;) Could apply to every brigade in the state.

rescue5271

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 12:18:05 PM »
Well CFS wont do that they dont have the know how or the ball's to do it....CFA have  spare's in the way of pumpers and tankers and there have been a few stations lost over the years due to a fire starting in them.but the brigade has been back on its feet with in days with the spare appliances that CFA have...CFS need to look at having one spare 24/34 in each region and a state spare pumper that is for use in Urban brigade's in the state not just in region 1/2.....

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 12:57:31 PM »
I Agree with that bill :)   CFA seem to be the innovative service for the nation :)

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 01:38:24 PM »
I Agree with that bill :)   CFA seem to be the innovative service for the nation :)
They are innovative in some ways but still backwards in others.
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 01:43:09 PM »
They are innovative in some ways but still backwards in others.

LOL...that too!

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 03:39:14 PM »
A fire in our station would be a tragedy.  Think of all the drinks in the fridge that would be destroyed!  :cry:
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline Red Message

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 07:30:56 PM »

Haha, working on your standup routine again zippy?

It wouldn't be hard for the CFS to have multiple types of spare appliance. All those old appliances that are retired due to age rather than operational capability could easily keep their stowage and have a basic refurb done - then be placed in storage to be used as a temporary replacement.

Stirling CFS
NSWFB 001 Stn.
Firefighter

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 10:22:06 PM »
lol gabe, thanks....Catch me down at the Rhino Room in town weekly ;)

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 11:29:15 PM »
A fire in our station would be a tragedy.  Think of all the drinks in the fridge that would be destroyed!  :cry:

Truck wouldn't be damged tho Camo, it probably wouldnt even be at station. would either be at some farmers shed cos the station is being redone, or being checked for hazmat due to careless seniors....

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 03:01:56 PM »

Truck wouldn't be damged tho Camo, it probably wouldnt even be at station. would either be at some farmers shed cos the station is being redone, or being checked for hazmat due to careless seniors....

Or it will be at one of the three drivers allowed to drive the appliance, house :-P
Images are copyright

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 05:15:06 PM »
nah that no longer applies.

plus it wouldnt fit under my carport.  :-D
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

anything