Author Topic: posting on youtube  (Read 28033 times)

Offline Fox Mulder

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: posting on youtube
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 06:26:35 PM »
There has also been a problem with CFS members showing up at call outs(not in there area) taking photo's and getting in the way,some members have also taken it too far buy going out and buying tabards with CFS on it saying they are a CFS photograph when in fact they are members of the cfs just taking photo's...... As I undertsand it the only one's with the Tabards are those who are in the cfs promo unit,sure Pip will help me out there....

There has been issues in the past where people in the CFS have used there pager for all the wrong reasons and turned up inappropriately at incidents to take photos, some times arriving before the fire truck!!! Not on, if you can arrive to take photos then you can turn out with the brigade
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 06:43:26 PM »
i think if u find the urge to take photos of an incident apart from the appropriate people (promotions unit..or media) u have serious problems...i to have watched that helmet cam thing on you tube....GET OVER IT!!! lol

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 07:20:45 PM »
i think if u find the urge to take photos of an incident apart from the appropriate people (promotions unit..or media) u have serious problems...i to have watched that helmet cam thing on you tube....GET OVER IT!!! lol

What if its not the incident, but the appliances etc that people are photographing? Like the appaliance photography groups getting around?

The only difference between an avid photorgrapher and a Promotions Unit or Media person, is their business title.. Remember, most probably started at an amateur level!

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2008, 07:44:21 PM »
Not to mention that about half of the pictures on the promotions unit site are not taken by Pip and Ashes.

What is your problem (mac13, bill) with people taking pictures or footage? it it wrong to feel proud and awesome when you have just saved that house, and want to show some of your handy work? 

Also A LOT of what i take at jobs is just for the purpose of brigade memories and never sees the internet. Every so often i print some off and show them round at training and everyone has a laugh and discusses the memories.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 08:39:31 PM »
dont have a problem as such..its just my perosnal opinion that id rather get there ge tthe job done and go home and continue what i was doing..i guess i was lookin at more the people that "just turn up" to get some pics for no reason..the media is hard enuff to control with out havin to control happy snappers to

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 08:42:01 PM »
further to that im alll for promoting the C.F.S image but it needs to be done in the right way

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 08:59:23 PM »
There is a wide range of reasons why photos are taken at incidents...some have been mentioned here so far.....

Perhaps the most obvious (at least to those on forums like this!) is to publicise the service to others via websites & other forms of printed media.

But the photos that appear in that sort of medium are only a small portion of the photos taken.

Brigades use photos to remind themselves of jobs they have been to or to show other members what they missed.

Then there's photos that can be used for training purposes later on - often within the brigade / group.

And then there's what I will call history type photos......the pics that people take at special brigade events, like the arrival of a new appliance, pics of the founding members who have come back to help celebrate the 50th anniversary of the brigade etc....

I have been working on info for a history website - and coming across photos that people have taken over the last 40 years of CFS makes research so much easier!!!   Without "Happy Snappers" pictorial history of brigades would be few & far between...

In taking photos, it became very clear, very early on, that no one wants their photo taken, but everyone wants a good photo of themselves doing their CFS stuff.....

It is important however, that photos are taken with some common sense in mind - and within some suitable guidelines - especially about not getting in the way of the incident activities, not making a nuisance of yourself, taking appropriate photos, and using them in an appropriate manner.

And remember, the photo you take today, is tomorrows history.

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 09:05:07 PM »
knocked nail clean on the head pip  :-)

Offline firemansam

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2008, 03:10:51 PM »
Seams like the CFS working out more ways to rid themselves of members. What do they have to hide such that they need to investigate a volunteers actions, who cares if someone records video of an incident. So I'd like to say that if you film me and put me on youtube, then catch me doing something wrong, go right ahead and try and sue me, I am a volunteer.

Well if Jono comes on this forum I'd just like to say dont be disheartened its just another thing that proves that the government and the CFS couldn't care less about their volunteers.

rescue5271

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2008, 04:25:12 PM »
Well said PIP.as a person who take's photo's to promote what we do as a service in this day and age I get asked please dont take my photo while at the job,mind you if the local media show up they just take what ever they want with out asking...

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2008, 05:13:46 PM »
There is a difference in taking your photo and taking an overview photo.  Fair enough its not fair for someone to be lined up and a head shot taken without their consent but a general overview of the incident with a few vollies faces being visible, i have no problem with.  As you say bill - the media will do the same thing and broadcast it to a cast of thousands.

As far as youtube goes i dont see the problem but if its plain obvious that someone is doing something completely wrong (we all filtered up from time to time) then dont post it.  Its not rocket science. 

If the CFS still have a problem with it then they need their heads reprogrammed.  I understand they are trying to cover their donkey's as far as law suits but people in this world need to take responsibility for their actions and quit suing people just because a mistake was made or someone's "privacy" was breeched.  If you are in the publics eye, you no longer have privacy!
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2008, 05:40:32 PM »
Seams like the CFS working out more ways to rid themselves of members. What do they have to hide such that they need to investigate a volunteers actions, who cares if someone records video of an incident. So I'd like to say that if you film me and put me on youtube, then catch me doing something wrong, go right ahead and try and sue me, I am a volunteer.

Well if Jono comes on this forum I'd just like to say dont be disheartened its just another thing that proves that the government and the CFS couldn't care less about their volunteers.

CFS COSO's & SOP's, various level CFS officers chatting to individuals after posting something inappropriate is hardly trying to find ways to get rid of members.

While not commenting specifically on the member spoken to re the start of this thread, it is important that when in a public forum, the service, and it's members are portrayed  in an appropriate manner.

Posting images - be it video, photos etc that show CFS and its members as ill disciplined rednecks, doing inappropriate and dangerous things, making bad comments etc is not going to help boost your membership, nor gain / keep the support of the general community.

The whole aim of the SOP's etc, as I see it, is to ensure that CFS is presented in an  appropriate and professional manner by its members.

If one person is spoken to over what may be deemed inappropriate images, and chooses to leave, or is eventually asked to leave as a result of those images, in my mind, is not the CFS finding ways of of getting rid of volunteers!!

Pip

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2008, 07:57:25 PM »
....If one person is spoken to over what may be deemed inappropriate images, and chooses to leave, or is eventually asked to leave as a result of those images, in my mind, is not the CFS finding ways of of getting rid of volunteers!!...

It depends if it is one person or a small group of staff who are taking the action. If they follow mediation processes which includes discussion, issued warnings & appeals process. Then I personally have no problems if the volunteer breaches that warning then action should be taken.

But I have seen incidents where the staff do not understand the technology (my perception) & are not willing to embrace it. So a 'do not use' or told off has been issued in a military-order style fashion on the basis that the images will produce bad public image or Workcover inspectors will see the image & tell the organisation off.

One volunteer has left the organisation & joined another organisation with great success. Others have withdrawn from the extra activities in the organisation.

This has happened in three organisations within SA and I percieve it to be around the interpretation of 'code of conduct' & use of a quasi-military structure in non-operational management.

"my opinion only"...sorry this is a current bur under my skin   :-(
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

rescue5271

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2008, 09:38:11 PM »
MMMM I could say something but I better not.....

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2008, 10:04:18 PM »
end of the day if ur in way or not meant to be there don be there and donhave ur camera out...leave it to the people that are takinthe pics for the best of the C.F.S...

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2008, 10:13:06 PM »
well if that is the case an we have more official people who are able to take pics or can we "register" with CFS for that privliage?

Bajdas I fully agree that CFS  and i assume probably safecom needs to change its "quasi-military structure" as it doesn't help volunteers innovate if  broad Don't do it statements are made.

It just holds up stuff :-(

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2008, 11:18:54 PM »
....If one person is spoken to over what may be deemed inappropriate images, and chooses to leave, or is eventually asked to leave as a result of those images, in my mind, is not the CFS finding ways of of getting rid of volunteers!!...

It depends if it is one person or a small group of staff who are taking the action. If they follow mediation processes which includes discussion, issued warnings & appeals process. Then I personally have no problems if the volunteer breaches that warning then action should be taken.

But I have seen incidents where the staff do not understand the technology (my perception) & are not willing to embrace it. So a 'do not use' or told off has been issued in a military-order style fashion on the basis that the images will produce bad public image or Workcover inspectors will see the image & tell the organisation off.

One volunteer has left the organisation & joined another organisation with great success. Others have withdrawn from the extra activities in the organisation.

This has happened in three organisations within SA and I percieve it to be around the interpretation of 'code of conduct' & use of a quasi-military structure in non-operational management.

"my opinion only"...sorry this is a current bur under my skin   :-(

Perhaps to clarify my comments - when I said a person is asked to leave , my intention in that comment was in relation to a person whose behavior is consistently poor in this area, and through due process is asked to leave - I didn't mean that a person who makes one error of judgement be just kicked out by a an overzealous officer (paid or volunteer.

Pip

Offline Jono

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2008, 07:22:17 PM »
Hey all,

heard to day (and was advised not to post video of cfs calls (photos turned into videos) on you tube as someone has done so and has got in the poop with the cfs

first - does anyone one know anything about this

firey9119

No red knuckles here  :wink:
Jono
Snr 2
Seaford CFS (Mawson Group)

BLEVE

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2008, 09:00:37 AM »
I walk a fine line with taking pics at incidents and took a while to work out how to handle it. (I normally take sports pics etc for our local paper but do get called on to take extra pics when something is happening in our town and there is no one around to cover it) What I have done is spoken to my Captain and GO and explained to them that I will not turn up as the media unless I have been contacted by another reporter and that I will never use my knowledge from the pager or from handling an incident to take pics. I might take some pics with my own camera for own personal/brigade use but never for publication. There have been many a time that I could have taken pics from being at an incident (yes I have kicked myself because I haven't) but as I have not being contacted to do so I have restrained myself (as an adult I guess I have the ability to be able to control myself and act correctly - shock horror)
This has been working for me, but I guess it is working because I abide by my own rules that I have set for myself so as to not cause any problems. A lot of the time media will actually get pics from an incident from SAPOL or SAAS as far as I can tell as they have certainly not been pics that I took that appeared in publication and the only other people taking pics were from those organisations.
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

rescue5271

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2008, 03:47:14 PM »
Nothing wrong with what you are doing Kat,you have covered your rear by talking to the captain and the GO and if they are happy for you to take photo's then so be it. We have taken photo's over the years and i guess the key rule is to ASK first may sure what you are taking is not going to upset anyone and that you don't pass on a photo that will come back and bite you on the rear. I don't take any photo's of MVA'S where a person has been killed as this does and has caused problems for family and friends.

If you look at the 3 postings that I have on YOUTUBE there is nothing wrong with them and just for the record I am now working on my 4th Youtube post and until I get something in the mail saying you cant do it then I will keep on doing it...YOUTUBE has become a very good tool if used the right way to promote what the CFS does but also to recruit new members...

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2008, 02:00:10 PM »
YouTube is also used by HQ as they have posted videos themselves.I always thought it was good to show the public what we do and not just fight fires.

Not all of us are mushrooms :-P
Images are copyright

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2008, 08:02:03 AM »
Some of us eat too many apparently...
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline flame9119

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2008, 08:14:28 PM »
i think that it should be allowed but what would i know im only new :?

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2008, 08:43:54 AM »
 :lol:is that the eating of mushrooms or the taking of photos :-)
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2008, 09:59:57 PM »
If we dont take the photos someone else will :-P
Images are copyright