Author Topic: Uniforms - Blue Workshirts!!!  (Read 26521 times)

MATTE

Uniforms - Blue Workshirts!!!
« on: July 19, 2005, 11:39:09 AM »
I know that some brigades are using long sleeve workshirts and some fireys at our station are looking into them. what do u wear them for? how much did they cost you? where did you get them made? are they proban/nomex? and do they actually make your firefighters look more uniformed for school visits/training/standby?

I know the NSW RFS has some thing simillar...

Pictures would be appreciated to give me an idea...

strikeathird

Re: Uniforms - Blue Workshirts!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 04:17:30 PM »
The only people I know of that wear the long sleve Nomex Work shirts for JOBS (for Lesser scale grass fires / MVA's with no danger etc)  are the SAMFS.

No CFS brigade has them for the use of FIRECALLS to my knowledge, and I wouldnt think they would as they have not been approved. (they can be purchased and worn as undergarments, but shouldn't be worn without a turnout coat.)  (Please verify your comment about knowing brigades that use them, do you mean just around the Fire House? Training? or actual Jobs ?...)-  

However, they are a fantastic idea, and I think it should be looked into by the CFS for use at Fire Calls....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 04:20:59 PM by strikeathird »

MATTE

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 04:40:10 PM »
I know for a fact that a Brigade has these items available to members. i believe that the brigade uses them at training, when working at the fire station ( not firehouse!!!) and they wear them to jobs underneath turnout gear as to provide a uniformed approach when returning to station after a job. I hate it everytime i see a SACFS Firefighter in pants and a scraggy tshirt advertising Victoria Bitter. We are a Fire Service. why dont we start looking and acting like one rather than unproffesional drunks who play with Fire trucks once a week.

strikeathird

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 04:46:08 PM »
Sorry for the comment about FIRE HOUSE, I should have written FIRE SHED!...  It aint a STATION!  (Most stations I know are made from brick, not TIN).

Just bear with me, having a VB, and changing into my stubbies and scraggy T-Shirt, S**T...... Fire Call!!  gotta run and act like an Unprofessional Drunk!

BIG GENERALISATION MATE!

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 10:15:37 PM »
MATTE you are correct - a number of brigades are using those long sleeve blue work shirts for training & PR, it does look a lot better than the aforementioned VB shirt or tank top.

Our brigade rules state that you must be wearing a navy blue shirt anytime that you wish to wear turnout pants without a jacket at training or PR events etc. This rule does not include firecalls though (it's hard enough for people to get dressed a 3 o'clock in the morning for a call let alone making them wear the correct shirt). Most of our members bought either the long sleeve work shirts or the 'Fire & Rescue' Tshirts.

If you want any try Devon clothing at Brighton, Fire & Rescue at Blackwood, Arparjen clothing or 'The Promo place' at Darlington (I believe they use reflective lettering for the back of the shirts).

corocfs

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 12:38:36 PM »
on the topic of VB shirts... i was atthe sroyal show with cfs one year, and one of the other girls didnt have a cfs shirt, so of all the shirts she could have chosen to wear...a "vodka cruiser" shirt!!!!! luckily, they were giving us all shirts that said "royal adelaide show 2003" with cfs logos...

MATTE

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 03:01:17 PM »
I wish my brigade took that stance on uniform, Matt. I believe they are a fantastic idea and anything to make us look more professional out on the field is warmly welcomed.

Any ideas on how much your members were paying for these shirts? Do you use the reflective ones?

strikeathird

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 03:57:44 PM »
on the topic of VB shirts... i was atthe sroyal show with cfs one year, and one of the other girls didnt have a cfs shirt, so of all the shirts she could have chosen to wear...a "vodka cruiser" shirt!!!!! luckily, they were giving us all shirts that said "royal adelaide show 2003" with cfs logos...

hehehe... I remember that year Coro.   You are not wrong, there were a few concerned faces throughout the morning as different people exposed what T-shirts they had on...  :-o    Then rags handed out these nice blue shirts, and we all looked like one  :-D

Offline Todd

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: Uniforms - Blue Workshirts
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 08:54:54 PM »
Hi Guys and Girls.
I think Blue work shirts would be a great idea Id defanantly get a few For around the station and diffrent fire calls.
Cheers Todd

strikeathird

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 10:20:23 PM »
I think they should adopt the same standard as MFS, and get the NOMEX work shirts, so at the smaller scale grass  fires, you can wear that and ur bunker pants, instead of having the Jacket on too...

Ofcourse, depending on the environment, there would be some occasions where throwing the Jacket on would be a wise idea..

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 10:44:36 AM »
get the NOMEX work shirts

That's All & Good But Whats The Cost Of The Shirts, I Don't Think The CFS Will Deal Out All That Money For All The Members As Last Time I Checked I Believe That The Shirts Were A Little On The Expensive Side.

MATTE

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 11:07:26 AM »
I think that if the CFS were to allow Nomex shirts they would be at group expenses and i know my group would pursue it on the basis of comfort, profesionalism and safety.

Could someone from a Brigade that utilises these shirts please post pics to give everyone a rough idea of what they look like.......

strikeathird

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2005, 04:22:35 PM »
They are a Blue long sleved shirt, like the Hard Yakka ones, (To those that have seen Mets wear them, they are Identical, except with the CFS star on the front - FIRE AND RESCUE on the back)

Go to ur local MFS station and ask to have a look at a NOMEX work shirt, or go into Fire And rescue at Blackwood.

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2005, 10:38:57 PM »
The blue 'Yakka' shirts we purcharsed were around the $25 - $30 mark, at the time we bought them the reflective writing was not available however I believe the supplier can now do them with the reflective lettering for about the same price.

One of our members also has a Nomex work shirt which I believe was about $110, physically they don't look much different. For general PR / station duties I would stick with the 'Yakka' shirts they are warm in winter and look good.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2005, 09:32:23 AM »
CFS has looked at them and seriously too! I believe they are in the pot with a number of other uniform issues!!

A number of suppliers have made proto types for testing. FARA did make some  which were being tested - not sure of the material though - it wasn't nomex.

Red Nomex ones are used at Brukunga by some instructors for CFBT and Live Fire and several green ones in Nomex or similar were being trailed by a couple of Wildfire Investigators. Ultimately

I guess one of the issues is do we go blue or green - now theres a debt that has been held on mass over the past 10 years!!!! Ultimately, yes you guessed it has resulted in a mass debate every time!!! :?
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

MATTE

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2005, 03:21:19 PM »
Pictures???

Why does the CFS insist on Green!!!. It makes us look terrible. does anyone believe the CFS should adopt a Standard Field uniform

strikeathird

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2005, 04:08:27 PM »
hehehe, yes indeed the Blue VS Green debate will be a never ending one.  Altho, heard around the blocks that green will most probably be the way to go..??

Can any one confirm this?

MATTE

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2005, 09:03:12 PM »
If i wanted a green uniform i would join the scouts, heard the SES are moving to Blues.

corocfs

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2005, 08:53:43 AM »
ses are moving to blue dress uniform... compltetely non-operational, however they are having there logo re-designed for operational gear

strikeathird

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2005, 08:48:45 PM »
Pictures???

Why does the CFS insist on Green!!!. It makes us look terrible. does anyone believe the CFS should adopt a Standard Field uniform

In the week you have asked for pictures you could have gone into Fire and Rescue / aparjen(spelling)  or even a METS station..  :P

I believe the choice for green is simply because we are not MFS, so why should it be blue.... I don;t understand the comment on standard field uniform, do you mean dress uniform? (Which is already set), or do u mean operational Fire ground ? (Which, as far as I know, is also been set at a standard...  EG  -  Nomex, Proban, PBI, etc etc...  Just clarify if you can..  Cheers)

MATTE

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2005, 11:00:06 PM »
In a past issue of Volunteer magazine there was a brief article about the changes to uniform. it said the was a Dress/Formal uniform, a Field uniform, PPE, and Casual Apparel. im guessing Field uniform would be what WE Should have to wear underneath our PPE hence the workshirts. something to wear when operational but not operational if u get what i mean  :-P.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2005, 11:11:26 AM »
From what I've heard - and this could well have changed or be out dated or incorrect, but it was:
Full dress for CEO, CO and RC level only - this included Tunic and hat (expensive for 1 or 2 wears)
Formal uniform - same as what staff wear - khaki pants and shirt with broad brimmed hat
Field Uniform - NOT PPE, but hard wearing uniform for use in training where PPE isn't needed, for staging area people and in areas where PPE isn't required, undertaking pre-planning, risk assessments and field inspections - again driven by staff as the khaki isn't appropriate
PPE - Operational (full suite from L1 to L3 garments and associated items)
Casual - 'Approved" CFS casual wear - i.e. approved has logo (star), non approved taxi sign

VFBA may have more info as they had several people on the uniform review committee!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2005, 02:07:39 PM »
Hi all,
This is the last last uniform proposal that was played around with.

http://f3.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wGPkQuz4cnt4Tid6uaCpMYgAv4Wxl4SK2YnrFO7csR98IKvIJ4_4BIQmqQgT6PMC54qBaEODfv5garq3DTG8ZkYB31Y/Equipment/Uniform%20April%2004%20Proposal.ppt

(Copy URL into address bar - it should work :|)

Adam

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2005, 07:16:30 PM »
you could try pasting your known good url into www.tinyurl.com then paste the smaller link back here.

anything