Author Topic: ashamed  (Read 5379 times)

Offline Anonymous

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
ashamed
« on: July 09, 2006, 01:07:53 AM »
I'm very angry and saddened by the attitudes of some members. Personally I am proud to be a firefighter, proud to help the community, and proud to help those that I work side by side with. However, I am beginning to feel ashamed of the attitudes of some of the people that don't seem to realise that we should be helping the community, and helping those that we work with.

Recently I heard a few of the members of my station (which shall remain anonymous of course) listening and talking to an incident that was going on. The two sets of crew that were at the incident couldn't determine who's area it was, however we were easily able to see. I suggested ringing up one of the trucks and letting them know of which their reply was "It's only ------". I could not believe this. Not wanting to help a fellow cfs station and crew because of your own arrogance. This absolutely sickens and saddens me. When I expressed my concern of their attitude i was given a wonderful speech about everything ------ station had done wrong, how they have problems crewing trucks, and more. I couldn't believe this, (and one of those comments was made by a member who had been in less than a year). The station I am at hasn't had any real problems crewing trucks or have had any bad stuff-ups lately.. but they have in the past. Everybody makes mistakes. I can't believe that just because of a neighbouring station is going through a rough patch (which my station has gone through in the past, as im sure everyone has). Even if one person from ------ station is constantly making mistakes, does not mean everyone there is bad either. Everybody makes mistakes. Nobody's perfect.

It's not just this incident. It's not a one-off. I've often heared some members (not everyone thankfully) enjoy pointing out every little thing that another station does wrong. We often don't know the full extent of what's going on. Maybe their crew doesn't have much experience. It's not much support for them if we're just bagging them. We should be encouraging each other and giving support. We're all on the same team, and we're all here for the one job.

I want to urge people, that if you are guilty of having this pig-headed attitude (which I will confess that I have had in the past), to stop bagging the firefighters you work along side and instead give them a bit of support.

Thanks for listening and letting me rant.

PS: For those people that might be able to figure out which stations I'm talking about (And there would only be very very few), please do not name any names. It's not needed.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: ashamed
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 05:52:39 PM »
I'm very angry and saddened by the attitudes of some members. Personally I am proud to be a firefighter, proud to help the community, and proud to help those that I work side by side with. However, I am beginning to feel ashamed of the attitudes of some of the people that don't seem to realise that we should be helping the community, and helping those that we work with.

Recently I heard a few of the members of my station (which shall remain anonymous of course) listening and talking to an incident that was going on. The two sets of crew that were at the incident couldn't determine who's area it was, however we were easily able to see. I suggested ringing up one of the trucks and letting them know of which their reply was "It's only ------". I could not believe this. Not wanting to help a fellow cfs station and crew because of your own arrogance. This absolutely sickens and saddens me. When I expressed my concern of their attitude i was given a wonderful speech about everything ------ station had done wrong, how they have problems crewing trucks, and more. I couldn't believe this, (and one of those comments was made by a member who had been in less than a year). The station I am at hasn't had any real problems crewing trucks or have had any bad stuff-ups lately.. but they have in the past. Everybody makes mistakes. I can't believe that just because of a neighbouring station is going through a rough patch (which my station has gone through in the past, as im sure everyone has). Even if one person from ------ station is constantly making mistakes, does not mean everyone there is bad either. Everybody makes mistakes. Nobody's perfect.

It's not just this incident. It's not a one-off. I've often heared some members (not everyone thankfully) enjoy pointing out every little thing that another station does wrong. We often don't know the full extent of what's going on. Maybe their crew doesn't have much experience. It's not much support for them if we're just bagging them. We should be encouraging each other and giving support. We're all on the same team, and we're all here for the one job.

I want to urge people, that if you are guilty of having this pig-headed attitude (which I will confess that I have had in the past), to stop bagging the firefighters you work along side and instead give them a bit of support.

Thanks for listening and letting me rant.

PS: For those people that might be able to figure out which stations I'm talking about (And there would only be very very few), please do not name any names. It's not needed.

Sadly there is alot of people in the CFS who cant get along with one another its just a clash of personalities with some thinking that they are better than others i think this is absoulutely ridiculous and has to stop  :x
Kalangadoo Brigade

Manuel

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 05:57:39 PM »
think about this guys, think about most jobs, people do not get along, they think they are better than others. It is hard to stop but would be good if it did. But i guess you can't help not liking someone, (see my stance on elections). But yes it is a bigger problem than paid services because there is such a large social range

rescue5271

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 06:48:28 PM »
the truth is when it comes to jobs we all do the best we can and work as a TEAM,some people have forgotten the word TEAM and what it means. You will always have conflicked with in any organization and you will always have people who say one thing but do another...Its part of life and may be we should all take 5 and just be a team,people should be given ever opportunity to do their job/role but in this day and age it does not work like that....

Manuel

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 07:16:55 PM »
I totaly agree, teamwork works, and the problem with these people is they think that there is an I in it. it is much like a sport, without your players which you treat well you wont win.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 07:20:34 PM »
I agree Blinky its too bad we cant go back to the days where everyone was given the chance to show their full potential & everyone got along with each other and any problems were sorted out without bickering & bagging one another
Kalangadoo Brigade

Manuel

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 07:29:16 PM »
i think that there would not be such bad problems in more rural brigades, than urban brigades, because those urban brigades have more socially divercity

rescue5271

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 09:17:05 PM »
I would have to disagree with you there,it does not matter if you are urban or rural problems are there in all brigades rural brigade's tend to run into there members on a daily basies and tend to work in the same location.They also tend to care more for what goes on in there community and how as a brigade they are the first point of call in time's of HELP..Urban brigade's tend to see members at training,call outs and now and then down the street and even then they may or may not stop and talk to you...

Toast

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 01:04:24 AM »
You were attemping to find out whose area it was in? Does this still matter? First appliance there gets started, none of this "Eh its no our area, bye" bullshit.

Brigades everywhere do things differently. Sadly this is a fact. You can't expect the same level of operation between very busy urban brigades and more rural brigades, even in the same group. Personally, there are some brigades/groups that I hate to work with, because not only do some make the CFS look like a bunch of weekend warriors ("We're only volunteers"), but some also operate in very dangerous ways. From minor things like the pump operator wearing slippers, incorrect PPE, arriving at a job and not doing a thing, to people on a shop roof directing venting operations with no BA on.

This is not to say that my brigade is without fault, I know there has been a rather checkered past, but it would be nice to see the CFS as a service move toward being far more professional.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 11:31:41 AM »
i think that there would not be such bad problems in more rural brigades, than urban brigades, because those urban brigades have more socially divercity

WTF!!!!????
Think outside the square mate. Every Brigade has it's problems. It's easy....Identify the problem, deal with it and get on with the job and life.

Manuel

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 12:34:39 PM »
I have to agree :lol:

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 01:19:00 PM »
As CFS volunteers we drop everything to go and help people we don't know, and have never met.  We help them regardless of who they are, what they do, or what they have done...  Why is it then that we can't show the same respect and community spirit to our fellow firefighters?  It can't be excused by saying that people don't get on...

We are fire fighters, we risk our lives for complete strangers, surely we can show the same respect for fellow firefighters... its really not too much to ask....

Toast

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 01:26:25 PM »
I'm sorry, who joins me in furiously playing the air-banjo when certain brigades are mentioned?  :-P

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 02:03:59 PM »
That would be me Toast, that would be me... But I'm also someone who cares about the other brigades - like returning equipment to them, rather than trying to keep it.  I may refer to them as banjo players, but if they need help, I'm more than happy to lend a hand.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 02:51:23 PM »
I'm sorry, who joins me in furiously playing the air-banjo when certain brigades are mentioned?  :-P

oh good, so its not just me.

Toast

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 04:25:15 PM »
That would be me Toast, that would be me... But I'm also someone who cares about the other brigades - like returning equipment to them, rather than trying to keep it.  I may refer to them as banjo players, but if they need help, I'm more than happy to lend a hand.

But if we returned all of the other brigades gear... hell... we wouldn't have much left :P