Author Topic: Royal Adelaide Show - 2008  (Read 13245 times)

Offline Jimmy_91

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Southern Yorke CFS Group
Royal Adelaide Show - 2008
« on: August 24, 2008, 05:18:12 PM »
Well it's coming up to that time again, 5 - 13 September 08.

Just wondering if anyone on here is going on behalf of the CFS?

I am on Thursday 11th for the first half of the day.
Stewart Germaine
Minlaton CFS

pumprescue

Re: Royal Adelaide Show - 2008
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 06:39:32 PM »
Is it just me or did Region 1 people miss out on the notification for the Royal Show, no one in my group was notified.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 06:43:32 PM »
Just the normal in-crowd as per usual I guess. ;)
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 08:23:20 PM »
Is it just me or did Region 1 people miss out on the notification for the Royal Show, no one in my group was notified.
Maybe they're trying to tell you something?
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 06:38:15 PM »
SES have an operational crew of volunteers rostered during each day of the RA&HS showgrounds. Not sure where the site will be or if it will be with a PR display.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 07:00:29 PM »

Pretty bad its not even on the CFS website :?
Images are copyright

Offline Master of Disaster

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 11:24:49 PM »
Region 1 forgot to advise us I think. BUT WHATS NEW? :roll: :roll: :lol:

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 12:01:10 AM »

yep, exaclty the same thing happened last year as well... certain areas failed to receive there memo.

in saying that though, i am in region 1, and our brigade did receive an invite.

[no, cant be bothered playing silly buggers all day]

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 07:44:17 AM »
I personally could think of better things to do, watch my grass grow, wash the car, polish the truck etc etc.
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 09:40:45 AM »
I love this.

People whine about the public not knowing about the CFS and that the CFS needs to rethink its image. Here is a great opportunity to be a part of a great way to inform the public of what we do these days - well at least the old static display used to be, yet no one can be bothered 'playing silly buggers all day'

Christ, if you can't give two hoots about PR gigs, then don't whine and complain about public perception.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 10:52:01 AM »
I love this.

People whine about the public not knowing about the CFS and that the CFS needs to rethink its image. Here is a great opportunity to be a part of a great way to inform the public of what we do these days - well at least the old static display used to be, yet no one can be bothered 'playing silly buggers all day'

Christ, if you can't give two hoots about PR gigs, then don't whine and complain about public perception.

Agree wholeheartedly numbers, we as emergency service providers need to make use of all the opportunities to expose people to what we do and I'm sure the vols that take part will enjoy the experience and meet new friends.
I also think that the government, that gets great voluntary emergency services that protect the majority of the state for a minimal outlay, need to truly recognise that fact(not the lip service we currently receive) and put some dollars into promoting the services.
Without a forward plan to rebuild vollie numbers, they are just going to continue to see a steady decline in vollie numbers, until it gets to the point that the majority of units/brigades are providing an unsatisfactory service to their local communities and the state as a whole!
Its not rocket science, its "Succession Planning" coz if we don't replace the ageing flagging current members, were doomed ,doomed, DOOMED I TELL YOU!................. sorry just love the dramatics :-D
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 01:32:26 PM »
Hmm, but just a little bit to far for me to travel as a volunteer to do something to life the profile of CFS. Don't know if you've noticed the price of petrol these days but I don't think I can come at the cost of that to get there and then the accommodation while up there
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 09:52:06 PM »
I can see your point Katrina however you should be able to get a Command car for this sort of thing, even better if you can get a couple of you from the area to attend.

I guess it will normally fall to those that are within reasonable travelling distance to do these sorts of things, I know our brigade are pretty much looking after one of the days.

Offline from way back

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 11:15:10 PM »
But then it comes back to everyone needing to be told. I know a few that would have helped down there but no one had heard a thing about it.

pumprescue

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 11:25:14 PM »
Just remember to make sure you leave enough people home to staff the trucks, wouldn' be the first time a neighbouring brigade of ours defaulted as they were all at the Royal Show on the CFS stand !!

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 12:42:30 AM »
Just remember to make sure you leave enough people home to staff the trucks, wouldn' be the first time a neighbouring brigade of ours defaulted as they were all at the Royal Show on the CFS stand !!

Must have been a big stand that year...  (or a small neighbouring brigade...)

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 01:05:50 AM »

or... all for the available crew had put there name down to go to the show... whilst the rest of the brigade was at work.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 01:13:53 AM »

or... all for the available crew had put there name down to go to the show... whilst the rest of the brigade was at work.

I guess it depends on your interpretation of "all"...

rescue5271

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 07:22:23 AM »
Katrina,take the command car......

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 08:26:08 AM »
Yeah and the fat controller would love me for that!!!!! Would have taken several things for that to happen - would have actually had to have been told about it, that would be a good start. If they don't ask for people to help in all the regions and brigades then how can it be said there is not enough volunteers as we havén't all been asked.
Also the idea of leaving enough crew on the ground is another issue, the last few jobs there has only been me for the first part of it so that would definately cause a problem and quite often the ones that are available to do things like that are the crew that is most readily available for jobs as well. Some of us also can't just take time off and still get paid for it, that means we lose income
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 08:35:27 AM »

eeer.... can 'all' be interpreted?

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 01:14:19 PM »

eeer.... can 'all' be interpreted?

Clearly.  I interpreted it as "all the brigade", you interpreted it as "all the available responders"...

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 09:25:03 PM »
Katrina,take the command car......

Yeah and the fat controller would love me for that!!!!! Would have taken several things for that to happen - would have actually had to have been told about it, that would be a good start. If they don't ask for people to help in all the regions and brigades then how can it be said there is not enough volunteers as we havén't all been asked.
Also the idea of leaving enough crew on the ground is another issue, the last few jobs there has only been me for the first part of it so that would definately cause a problem and quite often the ones that are available to do things like that are the crew that is most readily available for jobs as well. Some of us also can't just take time off and still get paid for it, that means we lose income

That is what they are there for besides being the GO chariot, to be used for transport of CFS personnel to events to promote the CFS image :evil:
Images are copyright

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 03:48:32 PM »

pretty sure my group got a fax from region about it, which was sent on to each brigade. It was read out at our last brigade meeting (or maybe it was the meeting before last, can't remember now).

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 11:53:50 PM »
It was put up on the Promo website as soon as CFS HQ put out the request for people to assist....was added there in early July.....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.