Author Topic: Penola 34  (Read 10622 times)

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Penola 34
« on: September 10, 2008, 09:48:33 AM »
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline KDOO_BTO

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Penola 34
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 05:50:13 PM »

Nice to see comms operators don't sit around all the time with their feet up or did you con someone else into taking the photo for you :-D.  Hope you had fun entertaining the regional and state staff. LOL
No ute No circle work

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 07:27:14 PM »
I took the pic this morning, was too busy running a job when the truck turned up(as you well know) infact Penola was too busy to greet the truck for sereral hours so I left the staff to play with it. Thanks kindly to Captain John for letting me get some pics this morning
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 08:11:10 PM »
Whats your initial thoughts on this appliance katrina?

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 08:11:36 AM »
okay - gotta remember this is coming from a Comms person who gets on the truck occassionaly. From what was being discussed the other night - seats in cab more comfortable - if in burnover and have to put on the hoods with oxygen (I will die as reminds me of putting plastic bag on head an breathing hard) no room for Hazmat gear (El Capitano is looking into getting some containers to hold the gear that can be thrown on the truck somewhere) - the two compartments at the back under the tray when you go to close them the chains get caught and you have to fiddle with that (they hold the step ladder on one side , and um hose connectors???? on the other side) I like having big compartments on the side (for someone like me who goes on the truck only every so often it means a lot easier for me to find things)
I like the idea of the joiners in the hoses just clicking straight on would imagine that is easier (I'm sure lot sof trucks already have this anyway) pump switches being 2 way is good thing (instead of where you turn on being where you have to turn off)Mr Captain did make mention of something yesterday morning to do with (damn I will get this wrong I think)how put foam into the tank the fitting is different size. Looks good, seems to feel comfortable but I guess the test will be doing a job - betta hassle Little John for his opinion - I will let you know when the truck gets out of the shed and see what people have to say
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 10:30:53 AM »
Yeah youll notice theres a foam tank with its own inlet pump to fill it up, dont put foam straight in the Water tank any more :)

A 34 for Hazmat, dont think so.  Itll only work if you really butcher the drivers side roller locker and put as much of the standard stowage on the passenger side.  Other than that,  having all your Hazmat Gear ready to chuck onto the Crew Deck is the next best option.

You may even have to resort to having a Hazmat Trailer that can be towed by a Group Car.

The In-Cab Air system works fine,  but the likelyhood of needing to use it will be less than 1%.   Use the Halo water system to keep the exterior of the Cab Cool during burnovers, itll keep the Interior much more bearable.

Yeah, those SAFB/WAJAX/STORZ adaptors will probably be used a lot in your brigade seeing as its the first and only appliance with no SAFB fittings on the truck.  And to connect your Storz hose to another 34 or 24P...youll need to use a 64 Storz to SAFB adaptor :)

Penola's pretty luckly to be one of the brigades to get these trucks,  only build to have Two-stage pumps.

Does it have 2 or 4 BA sets....i believe theres only 3 or 4 new 34's that will have 4 BA sets.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 10:32:41 AM by Zippy »

pumprescue

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 11:22:30 AM »
This is the last run with 4 BA sets, everything now on will be 34 = 2 BA, 34P = 4 BA.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 11:28:43 AM »
hell a lot more 34P's than 34's should be built then lol....more BA sets the Better in my eyes.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 11:40:35 AM »
filtered a lot more 34P's than 34's should be built then lol....more BA sets the Better in my eyes.

You know that some brigades have more sets than operators, and there are a WHOLE bunch that only have as many operators as sets...
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 11:43:43 AM »
then i add:   More operators than sets, and more sets existing to become a Standard piece of training....

Heres a new Idea   BFF1: OPERATE CABA  component ;)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 01:55:27 PM »
Heres a new Idea   BFF1: OPERATE CABA  component ;)

..then wouldn't you have some volunteers who cannot complete BFF1 because they can't do CABA ?? (eg I wear glasses & thus cannot wear the BA facemask).

Please make your entry courses to include the basic skills required (eg be safe, operate the equipment, help at a rural vegetation fire, etc) not the higher skills.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 01:58:14 PM by bajdas »
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 02:03:17 PM »
Back on topic,  considering penola only get 1 or 2 hazmats a year.  Best option would be to have all the Hazmat gear ready to go in containers/Duffle bags to go on either 34 or 24P at any time.

If its a 1am hazmat...it is just gonna suck, cant avoid that. Have had to do that to a Temporary appliance once earlier this year.

Offline Ringer

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 02:12:57 PM »
filtered a lot more 34P's than 34's should be built then lol....more BA sets the Better in my eyes.

You know that some brigades have more sets than operators, and there are a WHOLE bunch that only have as many operators as sets...

Even Kalangadoo has more BA operators than BA sets. 6 operators and only 2 sets. That second unit for Kalangadoo might be required after all. Maybe even splitting the brigade so there will be Kalangadoo Alpha and Bravo Brigades LMGDFAO :-D :lol: :wink: :evil:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 02:20:08 PM by Ringer »
Party Brigade.  Filtered the Brass

Offline KDOO_BTO

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 02:26:42 PM »

Even Kalangadoo has more BA operators than BA sets. 6 operators and only 2 sets. That second unit for Kalangadoo might be required after all. Maybe even splitting the brigade so there will be Kalangadoo Alpha and Bravo Brigades LMGDFAO :-D :lol: :wink: :evil:

Actually I do beleive we have more BA operators than Glencoe Ringer so maybe your sets could be put on KDOO34.  Junior could be captain of Kalangadoo Bravo Brigade and they could be allocated evacuation duties of the town. lol
No ute No circle work

Offline Ringer

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 03:02:15 PM »

Actually I do beleive we have more BA operators than Glencoe Ringer so maybe your sets could be put on KDOO34.  Junior could be captain of Kalangadoo Bravo Brigade and they could be allocated evacuation duties of the town. lol
[/quote]

Why bother! Just vote him in as Group Officer next elections instead, I'm sure Mike would like a break from the job.
Party Brigade.  Filtered the Brass

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 07:00:03 PM »
Yeah youll notice theres a foam tank with its own inlet pump to fill it up, dont put foam straight in the Water tank any more :)

That is only on the Ps. The standard 34 has 2 drum spots on the crew deck with a probe thingamabob (cant think of the name) that goes where the lid is.

visit ozfire for my pics. 

Was nice to drive even if it was only around the block.  After seeing the adaptor tray i really feel like killing the guy who chose to have wajax and stortz......why couldnt we just have one!
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 08:13:31 PM »
There are 2 people who have had a chance to drive this new truck (apart from the people who brought it down here) and that is Captain John (who couldn't wait to get it out the door) and Captain Camo (who stopped off in Penola during working hours to drool all over our nice new truck)
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 02:14:07 AM »

Yeah, those SAFB/WAJAX/STORZ adaptors will probably be used a lot in your brigade seeing as its the first and only appliance with no SAFB fittings on the truck.  And to connect your Storz hose to another 34 or 24P...youll need to use a 64 Storz to SAFB adaptor :)

Second one.  We've got the first (ex NSW RFS).
Yes the adaptors get a lot of use - all Storz truck, all SAFB hoses except suction.

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 05:44:13 AM »
There are 2 people who have had a chance to drive this new truck (apart from the people who brought it down here) and that is Captain John (who couldn't wait to get it out the door) and Captain Camo (who stopped off in Penola during working hours to drool all over our nice new truck)

SHH it as a lunch break  :wink:
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

rescue5271

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 07:50:25 PM »
Its a nice looking unit,but you have to ask about the equipment that is on it?? for one its a rural appliance the 25mm hoses are made of PVC and will burn very well where as the canvas hose was much better for forest fire's and rural fire's...The ladder set up is not the  best and could have been done alot better or a few more bucks could have been spent to have it use the air  system on the appliance to lower and raise the ladder..

Its a better looking applinces than the one they had at the show....

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2008, 08:03:19 PM »
Its a nice looking unit,but you have to ask about the equipment that is on it?? for one its a rural appliance the 25mm hoses are made of PVC and will burn very well where as the canvas hose was much better for forest fire's and rural fire's...The ladder set up is not the  best and could have been done alot better or a few more bucks could have been spent to have it use the air  system on the appliance to lower and raise the ladder..

Jesus! If you're complaining about hoses that melt, have you noticed that Canvas hoses burn very easily? If you happen to be in the position that your hoses are melting/burning, then its you're own fault and perhaps you should head back to BFF1...

Not to mention an air system for getting the ladder off? What is wrong with one person up top and one down the bottom? How about a hydraulic system to unload the lockers too?
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2008, 08:04:03 PM »
The one at the show could have done with a wash. How can it be better looking? Its the same isnt it?
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2008, 08:25:53 PM »
Unnamed 34 > Very noticeable rust?
Penola  34 > Near unnoticeable rust?

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2008, 08:51:25 PM »
Not sure but i wonder if Moore's hold a patent on the air operated ladder system?

and zippy....where is this rust you speak of?
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2008, 09:34:33 PM »
it would be near the pump and engine exhaust i believe ;)