Author Topic: Grass fires from the crew deck  (Read 25096 times)

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Grass fires from the crew deck
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 01:31:14 PM »
Hills brigades & Country Brigades???

What the he'll happened to Urban, Urban/Rural & Rural...

You made the distinction in your post. We were talking about brigades in the sticks or *country* that have large, relatively flat expanses of grass/crops in which firefighting efforts cannot be conducted on the ground and need the speed of the truck to keep up. You then pointed out that all of your local fires are in Gorges... or in a *hilly* area, that don't use the Crew Deck, and rely more on a stationary fire attack, using hose lines off the sides of track/roads. Hence it was a reference to the local topography of a Brigades response area.

Yeh thats cool numbers, i know what they were meaning.. i just think that rather than refering to brigades as hills vs country, then querying why hills brigades need diff stowage.... that maybe the proper terminology could be used.

As back in the days of the old 90s build 24s and 34s, the differance in appliance was very noticeable when you went from an urban/rural 24 to a purely rural 24, if ya catch my drift.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 02:50:05 PM »
Yeh thats cool numbers, i know what they were meaning.. i just think that rather than refering to brigades as hills vs country, then querying why hills brigades need diff stowage.... that maybe the proper terminology could be used.

As back in the days of the old 90s build 24s and 34s, the differance in appliance was very noticeable when you went from an urban/rural 24 to a purely rural 24, if ya catch my drift.

For sure, I long for the days of old and the different builds, that actually managed to stow the necessary gear. Nothing wrong with the correct terminology, but Rural comprises of many differing ladscapes, and the idea of grass vs. scrub/bush fires isn't addressed using plain Urban/Rural labels. Its the same as trying to compare the Urban firefighting requirements of say Mt. Barker compared to Burnside.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 03:42:01 PM »
Nothing wrong with the correct terminology, but Rural comprises of many differing ladscapes, and the idea of grass vs. scrub/bush fires isn't addressed using plain Urban/Rural labels.

Too true.

rescue5271

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 06:34:03 PM »
How about just Volunteer fire service rather than URBAN/RURAL.... back on topic,We all have differant ways in doing things,we should also remember that is not only grass fire's that we are on the working deck but also crop fire's...I agree 100% sky crane is not the ants pants that people make it to be...

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 07:49:16 PM »
Bill, we may all be vollunteers, but we all have differant areas and requirements.... hence; urban vs urban/rural vs rural, this in no way implies one is more important than the other.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2008, 11:39:12 AM »
How about just Volunteer fire service rather than URBAN/RURAL....

You are an idiot.

rescue5271

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2008, 04:07:56 PM »
Should not matter if a brigade is urban or rural its only a classification of what the brigade can deal with in its area,,,,,,

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2008, 04:23:22 PM »
Should not matter if a brigade is urban or rural its only a classification of what the brigade can deal with in its area,,,,,,

Ofcourse it matters! Its what determines what appliances and equipment the brigade should have. I'll be back later I'm going to go slam my face into a wall.

Darren

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2008, 04:37:21 PM »
Wow, this is an ummm interesting forum....

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2008, 04:54:45 PM »
Wow, this is an ummm interesting forum....

Oh come on, didn't you see the big "Beware: Retards" sign on the front door?

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2008, 05:09:25 PM »
rotflmao!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2008, 06:57:43 AM »
Nice one Numbers - I was a bit worried your recent responses have been a bit civilised. But that one is a crack up.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2008, 08:38:26 AM »

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008, 09:48:03 AM »
if it doesn't matter if the brigade is urban or rural what does matter? lets give 2 jobs per year brigades brontos??

Offline littlejohn

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2008, 01:50:17 PM »
Bugger me . . . . a relatively benign question doesn't take long to turn in to a bitch session, does it??

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2008, 03:07:03 PM »
 :x Keep it on topic. The topic of this thread is Grass fires from the crew deck.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2008, 06:53:04 PM »
lets give 2 jobs per year brigades brontos??

:x Keep it on topic. The topic of this thread is Grass fires from the crew deck.

Can we take this discussion to its logical extension and include fighting Grass Fires from the Cage of the Bronto?

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2008, 07:56:56 AM »

Firefrog - all bitching and moaning from some asied in this topic. I believe the discussion re; urban/rural classifications is on topic, as it determines whether the crew decks are even on appliances....  :?

rescue5271

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2008, 08:11:06 AM »
At the end of the day we attack fire's differently and at the end of the day we have to use the appliances that CFS give us,Urban brigade's should have more locker space so as to take all the gear that they have,rural brigade's like a crew deck that is able to be used down the side of water tank giving access to both side's..

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2008, 08:06:19 PM »
From a person who does not mann this type of vehicle, how difficult is it to create a removable locker cabinet/pod or anchor points on the crew deck ?

Yes it would take time to remove the locker when on a strike team, so you have a crew deck again. But you have a notification before the requirement.

If majority of the incidents need the extra equipment...could some of the equipment could be rachet strapped to the crew deck area ??
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2008, 08:22:58 PM »
for hazmats, we tend to just "throw" everything thats not stowed on the truck, into the Crew deck....

Maybe a locally owned truck with a Palfinger could assist with maintaining some sort of Pod system with 34P's...only an idea...

CFS dont need to go to the expense of buying one themselves...

Offline firey666

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2008, 08:47:31 PM »
Come on guys the question was grass fire from the crew deck, Camo had it right.

thats how we do it in the good old flat land, we prefer no more than 3 on the back. Just swap side if required or educate the driver to stay on the burnt ground then you dont have to swap sides.

First hose, Jet just forward of front wheel, second hose just behind that on a power cone. And yes as Camo stated we have to get of the truck too.

As for extra lockers on a 34, cant see the point defeats it purpose, get the urban /rural guys a 24.  hang on they don't produce 24's anymore just 34p's
hope this helps.

rescue5271

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2008, 07:25:31 AM »
Robert34 asked about the MAD RABBIT,well it may be coming back as the group officer who made it is looking at making a new one that will meet all the OHSW requirements. It came up last year when i was on the regional training committee and we all agreed at the time that it was something that needed looking at. I have seen photos of this set up and the crews at work looks very interesting.....

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2008, 11:42:16 AM »

2) I think being on the crew deck, of a moving appliance, at a fire, is one of the most Hazardous areas to be working in/on!..

Coming from a brigade who has running grass and crop fires that can travel at speeds up to 80kph 90% of the time, That's why we have driver training, I agree with you if your driver hasn't a clue, Otherwise crew decks and 3 deck lines are the best way to combat these fires.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 12:02:20 PM by Sarge »

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2008, 11:44:39 AM »
Following on from discussion in New 34P...

Coming from a hills brigade where we rarely attack a running grassfire (if ever), I'm not familiar with the requirements for running grassfire attack.  Can someone explain why 3 (or more) deck lines are needed for that?

Knock down, Contain, Mop up It's like the saying 2 heads are better than one well 3 lines are bette than 2 :-)