Author Topic: What's a pumper?  (Read 19689 times)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What's a pumper?
« on: August 01, 2005, 03:15:45 PM »
A recent CFS media release about the new Ededn pumer said this:

The new appliance - an 'Isuzu FTR900' chassis - is one of three currently in South Australia. It carries 2,000 litres of water and has a rear mounted pump capable of distributing 3,000 litres per minute at 1,000kpa. It is primarily designed for structural firefighting and can assist in hydrant 'boosting' giving it the title of 'Pumper'.

Does this mean that "Pumper" simply means it can boost at a hydrant booster, and if so, does this mean that a non pumper should not be used to boost? Or are there other things that make a pumper a pumper?

corocfs

Re: What's a pumper?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 04:12:21 PM »
IM NO EXPERT... but,

you can use just about anything to try to boost a hydrant system (possibly excluding QAVs and smaller 14, i guess it depends what your pumps like), however boosting hydrants is basically what a pumper is designed to do. a pumper is also designed for urban work, this is why generally they are 2WD (in the case of the CFS i believe they are all 2WD), and dont get taken to rural jobs.... not as a first response anyway,.

Offline Steveg

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 10:02:42 PM »
I cant remember the numbers, but to be classified as a pumper, the pump must be able to supply a specific amount of water, at a specific pressure, in a specific time-span.

I will not quote the numebrs in my head, as i cannot be sure they are accurate, and dont want to give anyone false information.
the numbers are somewhere in another discussion topic here some place, but again, i am buggered if i can remember where. :?

strikeathird

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 12:15:51 AM »
There are hardly any CFS appliances that can 'effectively' boost a hydrant system.  Most can do it, but there are only a few pumps out there, with the appropriate stages (E.G pressure stage) , and with the capacity to do so effectively....

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 02:36:08 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up :-D

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 03:09:59 PM »
I am not overly skilled up on the specs but I think it goes along these lines.

Most CFS trucks have a 500gpm pump. Even at 1000+Kpa these pumps cannot boost a hydrant main. Infact I have seen the hydrant pressure drop when you try to boost with a 500gpm pump. Twin lines from the cabinet & twin lines back in - pressure drops - Stop pumping pressure goes back up.

If you have a 700+gpm pump with a second stage then you can add pressure to the main. Sprinkler boosting is a bit different due to the lower water requirements of sprinkler heads versus multiple hydrants.

The educated pumping people please chime in and correct our speculation.

strikeathird

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 04:45:35 PM »
^^  Yep, hence why the 24P's with the 500gpm Volume pumps are better at boosting compared to a 750gpm pressure pump...

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 05:44:01 PM »
For boosting you want a volume stage to get alot of water in and alot of water out in a hurry. Thats why most pmpers eg: type 2's have 4 inlets and 4 outlets. Most larger premises boosters have four inlets and outlets, it's always a good idea to get a second water source to supply the truck from the street or a tanker etc.
A pumper stowage kit is different as well, most have a ppv fan, extra extinguishers, b class foam etc.

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 12:50:25 AM »
I think if you have a look at the AFAC website you'll find publications about classifications or urban pumpers which has figures on pumping ability, stowage, cab/chassis and engine options (power to weight ratios etc). I read it some time ago but still might be current!
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 12:57:57 AM »
You can also see the specs on eden pumper on the S.E.M website which is
www.semfirerescue.com.au

The pump is 3000l per minute at 1000kpa and 400l per minute at 4000kpa.

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 10:11:17 PM »
I would like to say well whats a 34p? is it much different than a normal 34 :-o :mrgreen: :-D

strikeathird

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 01:27:19 AM »
I believe is has a larger pump.  Sure the specs are on the manufacturers website... or some one will have them.

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 12:45:54 AM »
34p's are 1900L per minute, just trying to find out what a 34 is but i believe the newest one's have a slightly bigger pump than the last one's.

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 11:39:53 PM »
In US Gallons Per Minute the 34P has a 500GPM pump, 34 has a 350GPM and current Type 2 Pumper has a 750GPM pump. Most MFS Scanias has a 1000GPM and I believe Mount Barkers Dennis is a 1000GPM. I'm not sure how that relates to litres but should give you a bit of a comparison!
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Wagon 1

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 10:19:44 AM »
I think CFS is very lucky it hasn't been caught out with trucks that can't boost effectively, it might be alright in some areas but where I come from we have often had the 24P fail to boost, and yes we know what we are doing, we simply can't flow enough of the wet stuff, I still shake my head at the fact they only spec'd 2 inlets and 2 outlets. Most pumpers around the world are nearer the 1000GPM mark, but I guess the key is, if you can flow enough water 500 GPM will do an alright job, its just that what CFS builds restricts the flow.

As most have said, your Stirling, Mt Barker type trucks are your true pumpers, although Stirlings (as has been said many times) could use a high pressure stage,but you know how it is, when people mess with the specs you get a truck that doesn't work.........

Offline Stefan KIRKMOE

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2005, 08:16:15 PM »
haha pumpers.... i love this topic.
By the defination of volume in a pump (not talking pressure here for a moment. but the simple thing is....
1000-2000 lts/min = light pumper
2000-3000 lts/min = medium pumper
3000+ lts/min = pumper

these volumes are usually operated at about 1000kpa or there about  150psi. If you start to talk about high pressure then it's usually 3,500 - 4,000 kpa... so about 3 times what a standard appliance usually runs at. A standard CFS 24 appliance runs usually a 300GPM, so about 1140 lts/min. a 24p or 34P runs a 500GPM pump.... so 1900 lts/min... so in reality if we call a 24P and 34P a pumper, why can't a standard 24 or 34 also be called a pumper, after all it fits in the same bracket of pumper!
The HE-500 pump that runs on 24P and 34P appliances is only a volume pump, not a pressure as it's only designed to be used around 1000 kpa... (so when people just keep winding them up to get more pressure it usually does pump damage) that's why some of the older type pumpers and new ones have a seperate high pressure stage. Some people may remember the old SAMFS isuzu pumpers that were in adelaide, glen osmond and prospect (now based in country stations) but they only had a 500GPM pump also so they were not usually used to boost...
The new Type 2 appliances run a Rosenbaur NH30 I think it's called, it's a multistage 3000lts/min pump.... so on the boarder of medium and pumper status. As also has been stated they have a number of inlets and outlets to be able to boost more effectivly....
Anyway I have probably rambled enough for the minute and hope i haven't caused too much confusion.

P.S. - if an appliance is a 'pumper' the stowage is different as has been suggested.... 4xCABA, different hose, PPV etc. I'll try and dig out a stowage list from somewhere....

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2005, 11:48:48 AM »
Simon, thanks for the info. Where did you get the volume flow statistics?
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2005, 10:11:44 AM »
The 34's from now on will be 500 gpm pumps as well. I think they found the cost was not much different.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2005, 05:37:49 PM »
Bugger we just got our new 34 delivered 2 months ago, pity we only got the 250gpm pump.  but does the job pretty good compared to what we did have.  the only boosters in our area are two out two in and our 24p has had no problem boosting that, but as for any booster bigger than that i doubt that anything other than pto driven pumpers could do it.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Wagon 1

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2005, 11:07:12 PM »
Well we did a test with our 24P with 2 in 2 out at a winery and it failed to give adequate flow at the hydrant, but no one seemed to care when it was brought up, it seems to be a risk CFS are willing to take.

pumprescue

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2005, 06:11:43 AM »
the most impressive cfs pumper i have seen would have to be the dennis, 1250gpm pump it take a few of them daka daka pumps to supply to it.

Offline jameswillcourt

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2005, 11:22:42 AM »
Im a cadet at barmera station and we have recently been given a new 24p which has had a few minor problems with the pump but apart from that it looks great and runs hard

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2005, 12:30:01 PM »
I've heard Mt Barker are still having problems with the Dennis, and the CFS has decided not to get any more as a result. It would be nice if the CFS fixed the pumper problem once and or all. :|

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2005, 02:46:44 PM »
Well the C.F.S could have had some scania heavy pumpers exactly the same as M.F.S for $380,000 if they had have added onto the last M.F.S order then half the C.F.S applience problems would ave been solved.
But I guess that would be the easy way out and we can't have that.
It is about $50,000 more than a type 2 but it is exactly what a few brigades need and it sure beats pumping more and more money into appliences such as stirling pumper.

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2005, 02:59:40 PM »
Im a cadet at barmera station and we have recently been given a new 24p which has had a few minor problems with the pump but apart from that it looks great and runs hard

What problems have Barmera had with their 24P? I thought all was well there.

anything