Author Topic: new level 3 gear (LION)  (Read 85963 times)

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: new level 3 gear (LION)
« Reply #200 on: December 01, 2005, 08:10:20 PM »
I have heard of a factory having to get a fire crew from their workers and they tried to get PBI Gold. The only thing that stopped them from getting it was the cost. So they got the nomex and it has CFS labels all over it.

strikeathird

« Reply #201 on: December 01, 2005, 08:40:56 PM »
I know of people in HQ that read this forum...  So pass this on..  It is QUITE obvious that a very LARGE number of OPERATIONAL CFS vollunteers are VERY unhappy with the TOTAL lack of committment descision wise towards the PBI gear..  GET the rulings out, so it can be sent out in black and white...  GET your shi7 together and get the cr @p paid for (like MFS) so B.A operators aren't FURTHER endangering their lives when using the gear in CRUCIAL , LIFE THREATENING incidents, (Not to mention risking their lives and not getting paid for it, using gear that doesn't meet Aus Standards).. and for gods sake...  DO IT RIGHT AWAY !!!

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #202 on: December 02, 2005, 01:19:52 PM »
You Could Always Put Through Near Miss Forms For Every Job That Required To Wear The PBI, So Any Structue Job. Nothing Happened However The Chance Was There Cause We Were Not Wearing The Required Gear. Don't Think They Would Like That To Much.

It Would Be Good When They Finally Get The Ball Rolling & Have The Information There In Black & White. Every Day We Go Without Puts Us In Danger.

strikeathird

« Reply #203 on: December 02, 2005, 01:34:01 PM »
Look forward to the day I get injured wearing Nomex (Burn related) in a Structure Fire, when I could have been wearing PBI..(which just MIGHT have given me a better chance !!!).. which could have been paid for for all BA members just like the MFS.......  I thought we were FIRE FIGHTERS...  Just like our paid counterparts............???

So why are we wearing Second rate gear !! ??? 

If you think about it, you would think we would have better gear, at the end of the day we are the ones doing this without pay !  Wouldn't you think we would get looked after a little better ! ??

End Rant.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 02, 2005, 01:44:04 PM »
Yeah Always Thought That Too. They Don't Have To Pay Us So There Should Be More Money Available.  Would Be Interesting To Add Up What The MFS Get Paid, Times That By How Many CFS Vollies There Are & See What The Figures Are. Then Imagine If We Got That Money For Resources?

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 06, 2005, 10:07:06 AM »

from vollunteer mag volume 112; page 57 "PBI Gold" Andrew patten; Project Officer, prescribed equipment "CFS has not endorsed this garment for use as a wildland garment, however it is CFS's and Lion Apparel's intention to explore the possibility of certifying the outer shell for use as a Wildland Garmen compliant to AS4824 (australian standard)"
further to that...
"For further information aout the Lion Apparel Structural PPC please contact Andrew Patten, Project Officer Prescribed Equipment on: (08) 8398 9900 or [email protected]"

Well you can leed a horse to water but you can't make it drink ......

You can provide a CFS member with contact names and numbers for enquiries, but you can't make then get off their butts, stop winging and make the call!

I guess for some it's easier to sit at a computer and complain rather than pick up a phone and call someone who might have an answer - sorry it's not a free call. :evil:
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 06, 2005, 10:11:22 AM »
not sure why the tune has changed as i missed the meeting at which it was first discussed,., but have just found out that Sturt group will be handing out 'about' 4 sets per brigade....  :?

oh well... at least ill finally get it then.

perhaps FARA are now allowed to sell it... LOL (just stirring)

strikeathird

« Reply #207 on: December 06, 2005, 10:30:15 AM »

from vollunteer mag volume 112; page 57 "PBI Gold" Andrew patten; Project Officer, prescribed equipment "CFS has not endorsed this garment for use as a wildland garment, however it is CFS's and Lion Apparel's intention to explore the possibility of certifying the outer shell for use as a Wildland Garmen compliant to AS4824 (australian standard)"
further to that...
"For further information aout the Lion Apparel Structural PPC please contact Andrew Patten, Project Officer Prescribed Equipment on: (08) 8398 9900 or [email protected]"

You can provide a CFS member with contact names and numbers for enquiries, but you can't make then get off their butts, stop winging and make the call!

I guess for some it's easier to sit at a computer and complain rather than pick up a phone and call someone who might have an answer - sorry it's not a free call. :evil:

what.. ?

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 06, 2005, 10:38:07 AM »
i tried  :wink:

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 06, 2005, 12:52:35 PM »

what.. ?

Basically - I was saying - maybe people should contact Andrew Patten for the final answer and not speculate on what their brigade, group or region may interpret as the answer - or their definition of what they want, need or expect :-o
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

strikeathird

« Reply #210 on: December 06, 2005, 01:13:07 PM »
oh....  Well, you would think the directive coming from a group officer would be pretty much it.. right.. ??   ppfftt...  Pity I have heard 20 different directives... Whats to say when you ring you won't get told something, and the next person who rings gets told something else.. ?

But, i see your point.

Wagon 1

« Reply #211 on: December 06, 2005, 01:14:27 PM »
Ok I tried Andrew Patten, he is no longer at State HQ, he is Region 1 ROPO, he had that job before the volunteer came out, so I tried HQ again, there is a new bloke looking after it but can't seem to track down who it is, will keep you posted.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 06, 2005, 01:32:46 PM »
Didnt you love playing hide and seek when you were a kid? lol

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 02, 2006, 03:01:26 PM »
It looks PBI will now be supplied to nearly all B.A. Operators by June 2006. The premier today made the official announcement that the Government are putting in nearly $2 million to bring everyone up to scratch with PBI and Proban.

Apparently there are 1500 BA operators without PBI and they are purchasing 1230 sets at a cost of $1.556 million.

1574 sets of new Proban Wildland PPE is also being purchased at a cost of $394,000.

$1.495 million is coming from the Community Emergency Services Fund and the remaining $455,000 is coming from CFS funds.

I guess this answers our questions about who was going to pay for the new gear. I'm kind of happy my brigade waited and hasn't purchased any PBI yet, looks like it might not come out of our budget now  :-)

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 02, 2006, 06:42:05 PM »
that is..... FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

well done Mr. Rann..

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 02, 2006, 07:21:02 PM »
YES about time someone started to help out. :-D

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 02, 2006, 08:35:57 PM »
now of course the question is.. will certain brigades that bought the gear out of there own pocket be re-imbursed?? or screwed over??

PF_

« Reply #217 on: January 03, 2006, 12:10:49 PM »
Does every CFS member get new PPE or just the BA operators with this new grant? 

ALso, what is the difference between proban, PBI and PPE?

P.S
I only joined the CFS in October so am not up to scratch with all the lingo. :roll:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 12:21:53 PM by P_F »

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 03, 2006, 02:00:49 PM »
Does every CFS member get new PPE or just the BA operators with this new grant?  ALso, what is the difference between proban, PBI and PPE?

First Off Welcome Aboard P_F,

Information Regarding PBI Can Be Found Here.

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Is The Type Of Equipment You Have EG, Proban, Nomex, PBI.

PF_

« Reply #219 on: January 03, 2006, 02:16:52 PM »
Does every CFS member get new PPE or just the BA operators with this new grant?  ALso, what is the difference between proban, PBI and PPE?

First Off Welcome Aboard P_F,

Information Regarding PBI Can Be Found Here.

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Is The Type Of Equipment You Have EG, Proban, Nomex, PBI.

cheers CC

I mis wrote my question a bit there, as obviously all gear is PPE.  But that doesnt matter as I have the answer that was needed, thankyou.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 03, 2006, 03:55:19 PM »
Below is a Media Release we came across.

$1.95 MILLION “MAKE-OVER” TO KEEP ALL CFS VOLUNTEERS SAFER ON THE JOB

All of South Australia’s Country Fire Service volunteers will be outfitted with the latest Personal Protective Equipment this year, at a cost of $1.95 million dollars.

The Rann Government has approved an additional $1,495,00 from the Community Emergency Services Fund to meet this cost. The remainder is made up by uncommitted CFS funds of $455,000.

The upgrade follows a CFS audit of equipment levels and age, which found that an estimated 1500 CFS volunteers are currently using outdated or “older style” equipment or clothing.

“This means all 10,500 volunteers will be outfitted with the latest breathing apparatus equipment and protective clothing,” says Premier Rann.

“ Our CFS volunteers demonstrate a remarkable commitment, 24 hours a day/365 days a year, helping the community and this government is equally committed to ensuring they are properly resourced.”

This upgrade will provide:
 Proban Wildland Fire Fighter Personal Protective Clothing for 1,574 fire fighters at a cost of $394,000 by the end of February.
 Breathing Apparatus Personal Protective Equipment for 1,230 fire fighters at a cost of $1.556 million, by the end of June.

CFS Chief Officer, Euan Ferguson, says up-to-date clothing and equipment will maximise the personal safety of fire fighters.

“Over recent fire seasons we’ve had 4 fire fighters suffer runs to the neck, ears or face, because they were wearing “old style” protective clothing when caught in extreme radiant heat situations.

“This update sends a message that the State Government, the CFS and the fire industry are serious about safety.”

Premier Rann says part of South Australia’s strategic plan is to increase the number of volunteer participation in South Australia from 38% in 2000 to 50% within 10 years.

“Hopefully by improving the resources and the safety of volunteers around the State more and more people will be encouraged to become involved.”

The Premier was speaking at Adelaide Airport today, where two of the latest additions to the State’s fire fighting fleet officially came on line today.

The $3.5 million Agusta A119 heli tankers, also known as “Koalas”, showed off their impressive firebombing power last month at the official opening of the new $200,000 Mt Crawford Airstrip.

David Cant, CFS Manager of Aviation Services, says the Agustas have already proven their worth

“As part of the funding arrangement with the National Aerial Firefighting Centre we were able to bring the aircraft were brought on-line ahead of their contract period for short periods,” says Mr Cant.

“On the 23rd December they were used, along with our fixed wing fire bombers, on bushfires near Nairne and on the outskirts of Murray Bridge.

“ In the Murray Bridge fire, an aircraft was actually being used for air attack supervision when the fire started to encroach on houses.

“The helitanker converted to a firebombing role and is credited with stopping the fire at the back fence of a number of properties.

“This demonstrates the flexibility in the multi-function role of these aircraft.”

The Agusta A119 helitankers:
 Have a fitted 1200 litre belly tank "Simplex" fire bombing system.
 Can self-fill and can fill from any open water source in approximately 50- 60 seconds.
 Have a 120 litre fire suppressant concentrate reservoir enabling to inject this suppressant directly in flight, to enhance its fire suppressing capability.
 Are safe to operate near houses due to their slower speed and accuracy.
 Are contracted to Heli Air, which is a South Australian, based Australian owned company.

The overall cost is $586,000 for the two aircraft plus operating charges. Cost in the first year is $293000 per aircraft for an 84-day period (3 months) for standing charge, half of which is covered by the Federal Government.

The State Government contributes the other half , plus all operating expenses, ($1000 per hour per aircraft.)

This is just part of the State Government’s $2.4 million dollar commitment to boost aerial fire fighting resources, but Premier Rann says its vital the community also climbs on board.

“We’ve already had a tense start to the bushfire season, with dozens of fires across the state – surely that’s a wakeup call for property owners in high risk areas such as the Adelaide Hills.

“I’m extremely fearful that the worst is yet to come and I have no patience for any property owners who aren’t properly prepared by now.

“The City of Mitcham alone has issued 38 $160 fines to property owners who failed to clear their land after being put on notice – that is 38 too many.”

“And the Adelaide Hills Council will be inspecting 33 properties tomorrow. If they haven’t cleaned up, as required, the owners will be slapped with a fine.

“Cleaning gutters, clearing yards of debris and having a bushfire plan are simple things everyone can do to help make the job of our CFS volunteers easier and safer.”

*Improving the safety of South Australians, enriching the community through volunteer groups and activities and attracting people who wish to contribute to the State Community are all part of South Australia’s Strategic Plan.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 04, 2006, 08:30:46 AM »
“The City of Mitcham alone has issued 38 $160 fines to property owners who failed to clear their land after being put on notice – that is 38 too many.”

“And the Adelaide Hills Council will be inspecting 33 properties tomorrow. If they haven’t cleaned up, as required, the owners will be slapped with a fine.

Good To See They Are Taking Action, The CFS Has Received Alot Of Blame Beacuse Of The Fires & That People Were Not Prepared, Some Of Them Still Not, Hopefully These Fines Will Help People Take Note That It Is Also Their Responsibilty.

Offline CFS_fire32

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 04, 2006, 08:36:44 AM »
Apparently there are 1500 BA operators without PBI and they are purchasing 1230 sets at a cost of $1.556 million.

1574 sets of new Proban Wildland PPE is also being purchased at a cost of $394,000.

Is this going to be the new standard - PBI and proban?
If so, what is happening to nomex - it is so much nicer than proban and it is much more versatile.

strikeathird

« Reply #223 on: January 04, 2006, 10:50:44 AM »
PBI Gold will ONLY be given to BA operators.

I believe the Proban will be for rural incidents / non-BA operators. 

However i don't see a problem with using current nomex at rural fires, no need to go buy NEW proban if the nomex is currently still appropriate for rural incidents.

PF_

« Reply #224 on: January 04, 2006, 11:29:32 AM »
SA firefighter's are happy and are recieviong new uniforms but it seems our neighbours, Victoria are not.  From todays Advertiser

Wednesday January 4 2006
"Meanwhile in Victoria, firefighters have threatened to walk off the job during the busy summer months and the Commonwealth Games in dispute over safety.
The United Firefighters Union said uniforms failed to meet national and international standards."

:oops:
What kind of uniforms are they wearing, it seems Mr Bracks needs to take a leaf out of Mr Rann's book
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 11:42:25 AM by P_F »