Author Topic: PPe distribution  (Read 9113 times)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
PPe distribution
« on: January 04, 2009, 02:50:30 PM »
How is PPE distributed these days?? How come one group seems to be able to get nomex and another can't? my understanding was that the Region did all the PPE stuff so how come the difference?

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: PPe distribution
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 04:05:18 PM »
How is PPE distributed these days?? How come one group seems to be able to get nomex and another can't? my understanding was that the Region did all the PPE stuff so how come the difference?
Depends what you ask for? We dont seem to have any issuses getting nomex.
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

rescue5271

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 04:09:32 PM »
The regional system is not working and in many cases we are hearing and seeing groups slowly ordering what they want for their groups.. As for NOMEX well there is not much of it around at the moment and that is why we are seeing groups getting proban.Australia does not order lots of nomex and so for this fire season they have missed out again as we dont keep stock piles at a regional or state level.

If the regional system is to work then there are still some buggs to be worked out and if its not fixed than may be we should go back to having a state store run from H/Q. I keep hearing from groups and brigade's in my travel's that there is never enough of anything to go around so where is all that money going that they keep???

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 05:18:17 PM »
Region should have a stockpile, similar to the PBI Gold stockpile.   When a recruit joins up and begins the long police check process, the brigade through group should request a PPE Kit from region, which meets the most up to date standards at that particular time.

How about for updating Current member's ppe...where can region fit in there.

Just a few Spare Kits per brigade would keep this ppe mess, nice and neat.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 05:31:10 PM »
Well i just got my new Nomex (Delta C?) and i had been waiting 6 months for it.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

misterteddy

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 08:28:40 PM »
The regional system is not working

wow....there's a surprise, who ever would have thought that would happen

As for NOMEX well there is not much of it around at the moment and that is why we are seeing groups getting proban.Australia does not order lots of nomex and so for this fire season they have missed out again as we dont keep stock piles at a regional or state level.

Australia can order as much Nomex at any time as it likes.......the reason we dont have PPE ready to go I would suggest is that no-one (thats the CFS in this instance)has ordered it (see the point above for the probable reason). Don't expect suppliers to sit with 1000s of sets on the shelf (of all different sizes), just in case someone feels like ordering. I'm guessing they have all been bitten by the CFS ordering system before....so now, order it and it will be made, otherwise....wait for it

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 12:17:40 PM »

Some groups probably still hold local stocks of Nomex.
AFAIK, all new rural garment purchases are proban from Stewart & Heaton on a whole-of-
CFS contract. I vaguely recall seeing a blurb stating that the contract is for proban
only. (even though S&H also make Nomex PPE).
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

rescue5271

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
Alan, all rural PPE is to be NOMEX CFS have taking this stand as that is what AFAC have said is best for rural firefighting.....

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »
Alan, all rural PPE is to be NOMEX CFS have taking this stand as that is what AFAC have said is best for rural firefighting.....

Funny... two recent new members
One issued with stock from group store = Nomex.
The other supplied from R1 looks like Proban to me.
Same for the cadet stuff received from R1 about 6 months ago.
Will try to remember to check labels next week.

chers

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Knowledge isn't wisdom.

rescue5271

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 03:55:51 PM »
Alan, Proban is also being sent out as there is not stock piles of nomex in Australia this came up at a number of regional meetings way back in Nov / Dec 2008.....

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 06:51:10 PM »
So... you are saying that Stewart & Heaton have no Nomex material in stock to make CFS ordered PPE ?
Or that CFS is in too much hurry with its orders to wait for S&H to make the garments, so it grabs Proban off-the-shelf ?

As a matter of curiosity - NSWRFS is probably the biggest purchaser of rural PPE from S&H.  Their pants design uses a belt, not braces.  Is the CFS design different ? Or are we buying off-the-shelf NSW pants ?

Other?
cheers
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 09:16:57 PM »
so know one knows anything :-o

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 09:47:17 PM »

You expect answers from a forum full of people who think they know everything? Why dont you ask your BEO, then GEO and then continue up the chain of command if you want a real answer?
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Darren

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 09:48:01 PM »
I ordered 6 sets of nomex in September, it arrived this week. Its called nomex viscous, its shite to say the least, but at least its nomex, I might just hang on to my old set a bit longer.

As for the ordering process, its a shambles, I was told that region 1 were holding onto orders until it was worthwhile then putting in a bulk order, then dishing it out from there, makes the group equipment officers job hard, he just gets a box and has to spend his time going through it to work out what is what. Clearly region have no idea, Clarendon received boots that were elastic sided work boots !! then the current person quit and nothing was processed for ages, For god's sake, I thought things were meant to get easier !

rescue5271

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 05:42:18 AM »
Alan, The problem has been ( I DO KNOW) is that we here in Australia have not been ordering enough of the NOMEX and so those companys that do supply the gear have not been keeping enough stock piles on the shelf.When the emergency services make up their mind then i guess we will keep as many stock piles as you want. It does cost scheiße loads to keep it on the shelf....

If anyone has any photos of the new Nomex and the labels on it i would love to see them...

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 07:27:39 AM »

You expect answers from a forum full of people who think they know everything? Why dont you ask your BEO, then GEO and then continue up the chain of command if you want a real answer?

I tried that and got an email saying " the group doesn't issue nomex"

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 08:26:43 AM »

I tried that and got an email saying " the group doesn't issue nomex"
Well your group sucks then doesnt it.  :-)
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline soiam

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 08:02:09 PM »
Apparently there is a lack of Nomex fabric available world wide. This is due to the war in Iraq etc. The USA is the biggest user at the moment. I was told this some months ago.

I dont believe Stewart & Heaton are the supplier of the Nomex uniform (though I may be wrong).

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 11:02:38 PM »
At $400-600 a set depending on which supplier you go through seems some groups still order the Proban stuff :| 
Images are copyright

misterteddy

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 11:18:59 AM »
At $400-600 a set depending on which supplier you go through seems some groups still order the Proban stuff :| 

yup....welcome to 1970's thinking courtesy of a region near you (or me)

rescue5271

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
Apparently there is a lack of Nomex fabric available world wide. This is due to the war in Iraq etc. The USA is the biggest user at the moment. I was told this some months ago.(WRONG)wrong

I dont believe Stewart & Heaton are the supplier of the Nomex uniform (though I may be wrong). They are the nomex supplier..

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 01:40:48 PM »
ive been waiting for new pants since september..beats me why its taking forever..but in R4 they had a new brigade they had to set up in the APY lands so i guess that could be a reason i don know  :wink:

anything