Author Topic: NASTY NASTY  (Read 75679 times)

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
Re: NASTY NASTY
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2009, 02:48:21 PM »
Sounds like its contained anyway, downgrading some crews to P2
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2009, 02:50:46 PM »
nice long trips for some brigades.....meanwhile everything East of Verdun (resources) untouched.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2009, 04:05:29 PM »
bahahahahaha 1 ha burnt...talk about a traffic jam. end of arguement about over rescourcing.  :lol:

Darren

« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2009, 04:11:47 PM »
800 Sqm, 80 FF's, that's 10SQM each.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2009, 04:21:30 PM »
lol  :wink: and the fixed wings n helitaks n the sky crane dropped where??? i think the point has been made.

Offline Baxter

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • ho ho ho its fire fighting time
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2009, 04:23:04 PM »
On a different note I have noticed that some Group Officer / Brigades are encouraging active stand by or passive stand by. I alway thought that it would be best to tell the BC if you are available on days of fire bans. The way that some Brigades / Groups choose the stand by is what I can sense is pretty ad hoc. As  one page indicated that no need for standby in Group X when the neighbouring Group Y wants stand by.

Can some one please tell me what is the thinking and rational behind this?
keep it simple for sanity skes please

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2009, 04:51:26 PM »
Some brigades and groups only go on stand by when the FDI hits above 50.
This way you might have some people leave work later in the day, most fireban days the FDI reach 50 after lunch.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2009, 04:54:15 PM »
i think the group ur talking about (para) only goes on standby when FDI is above 60 or 70....anything below 60 isnt that serious enough to spend hours at the station.

My brigade does it when the temperature is above 40c.  just to avoid spending ages in the sun by containing it faster.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2009, 06:12:40 PM »
I've only ever known active standbys to fire up at FDI's above 50, but at the same time on days that aren't looking so good, its nothing to have 5-10 people hanging around the station.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2009, 08:50:21 PM »
800 Sqm, 80 FF's, that's 10SQM each.

a wet sack and a rake for each FF - who needs appliances.....

Offline Baxter

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • ho ho ho its fire fighting time
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2009, 09:49:30 PM »
I've only ever known active standbys to fire up at FDI's above 50, but at the same time on days that aren't looking so good, its nothing to have 5-10 people hanging around the station.

If this is related to FDI then some pastoral / near pastoral and beyond the black stump brigades would be on standby for 3/4 of the year. Where I live it is not uncommon for the FDI to be above 50 even on days of 30. Mind you saltbush does burn without assistance.

Mind you after the Bridgewater fire I wonder how many truck and crews I can get to one of our 20 sq m fires of burning grass
keep it simple for sanity skes please

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2009, 09:51:41 PM »
If this is related to FDI then some pastoral / near pastoral and beyond the black stump brigades would be on standby for 3/4 of the year. Where I live it is not uncommon for the FDI to be above 50 even on days of 30. Mind you saltbush does burn without assistance.

Mind you after the Bridgewater fire I wonder how many truck and crews I can get to one of our 20 sq m fires of burning grass

Its all about knowing your local area. My local area can go like the clappers even in relatively mild conditions.

So after the Bridgewater fire, how many fire trucks does it take to stamp out a cigarette butt?

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2009, 09:53:01 PM »
looks like they are throwing everything at a grass fire @ bridgwater...are we going to say thats over resourcing i don think so......

Not necessarily over-resourcing [i wasn't there, so can't comment] but it certainly left a few holes.... ie both piccadilly & upper sturt appliances going? Why leave those stations empty for a fire over the hills and away? maybe the CFS need to do some move ups... ie a sturt group appliance to upper sturt & a summertown appliance to piccadilly... hmmmm ill try not to get ahead of myself.[just my opinion]

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2009, 09:54:38 PM »
On a different note I have noticed that some Group Officer / Brigades are encouraging active stand by or passive stand by.

Isn't the CFS on 'passive standby' 24/7?

Our area we go to active standby when local conditions get the FDI above 50.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2009, 10:15:15 PM »
when you can see a nice big dark grey cloud of smoke billowing up in the middle of a highly populated area. Send any truck you get crew for and then release them ASAP which was pretty much the way things happened.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2009, 11:07:32 PM »
Today was a great day for response gaps in an area the Mt. Lofty area. As long as no one mentions the gaps left by having 3 RCR resources tied up at the one job, or emptying a whole group for a scrubby while overlooking closer resources external to Lofty or East Torrens group...

;)

Now, someone said something about not posting drunk...?

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2009, 11:10:53 PM »
Cheers Numbers *finishes Beer oclock with a draught*

Just me or does that look like a massive Esky!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 11:12:42 PM by Zippy »

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2009, 11:23:11 PM »
That my friend, is an AWESOME esky. Hot chicks, and no doubt its full of cans of Bundy and coke, and maybe some Double Blacks for our lady friends!

Ahh, life is tough.

Cheers Zippy!

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2009, 07:03:00 AM »
Today was a great day for response gaps in an area the Mt. Lofty area. As long as no one mentions the gaps left by having 3 RCR resources tied up at the one job, or emptying a whole group for a scrubby while overlooking closer resources external to Lofty or East Torrens group...

;)

Now, someone said something about not posting drunk...?

Initial page to Norton Summit car rollover was Norton Summit brigade (fire) and Athelstone (rescue) as vehicle was down a extremely steep hill, on its side in a precarious position, Summertown (fire) and Stirling (rescue) were also dispatched.
Burnside rescue are apparentley auto dispatched by Lofty group as back up to Stirling who lately, have had crewing problems.
Both Norton Summit and Summertown brigades are the closest fire cover and Athelstone and Stirling are the closest rescue brigades, I think, thoughts?
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2009, 07:17:28 AM »
I think burnside was the closest rescue brigade in distance, and probably road speed aswell. Athelstone have a fair bit against them, ie long road routes and slower bendy roads.

Stirling would have indefinitely helped with possible Rope rescue if it was any steeper.

In regards to quickest road route, if a brigade has access to 100km/h roads...and makes them 10mins drive from the incident, and is physically further away.  Meanwhile the other brigade has access to majority 70km/h roads, physically closer...maybe 12-15mins away.  The quickest responding route is probably the best choice.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 07:20:07 AM by Zippy »

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2009, 01:33:03 PM »
Initial page to Norton Summit car rollover was Norton Summit brigade (fire) and Athelstone (rescue) as vehicle was down a extremely steep hill, on its side in a precarious position, Summertown (fire) and Stirling (rescue) were also dispatched.
Burnside rescue are apparentley auto dispatched by Lofty group as back up to Stirling who lately, have had crewing problems.
Both Norton Summit and Summertown brigades are the closest fire cover and Athelstone and Stirling are the closest rescue brigades, I think, thoughts?

Nothing terribly wrong with the response, I'm just not a big fan of having such a large gap in rescue coverage, especially when not all resources may be required.

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2009, 09:18:39 PM »

Nothing terribly wrong with the response, I'm just not a big fan of having such a large gap in rescue coverage, especially when not all resources may be required.

Ahmen!
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2009, 09:31:08 PM »
So how do you fix this? other than buying more rescue gear?

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2009, 09:33:38 PM »
releasing of resources not being utilised ;)

make less people do more work...which they might like? who knows?

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2009, 10:24:15 PM »
So how do you fix this? other than buying more rescue gear?

The best option, but the least viable is to stow a rapid intervention kit of combitool/ram etc (the basics) on a second vehicle in the brigade. This allows the provision of a rescue response if the Rescue appliance is ever tied up. Its something the should be strongly considered especially with the CFS push to move away from stand alone Rescue appliances. Some brigades already have this setup currently and from what I've been told it has paid off.

releasing of resources not being utilised ;)

make less people do more work...which they might like? who knows?

This is the other (cheaper) option. Using the above response for example, if Burnside are turning out to cover a lack of crew with Stirling, then they should be stopped as soon as Stirling is on the road and can confirm the have sufficient rescue operators. If things are going to be a protracted incident then you need to look at rescue CoQ.

And less people make for a far more efficient fireground anyhow, I'd rather 4 on a truck anyday!