Author Topic: P1 IN GROUP CARS  (Read 4912 times)

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
P1 IN GROUP CARS
« on: January 21, 2009, 06:43:07 PM »
deleted!!

due to people having problems with questions be asked!!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 07:58:37 PM by Firey9119 »
Phillip H
Salisbury CFS (Para Group)
FireFighter
(Firey9119)

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: P1 IN GROUP CARS
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 08:04:07 PM »
If it crews the truck why not. Or alternatively they could respond to the job while 2 or 3 take the truck? Obviously you have an issue with it?
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 08:43:48 PM »
a matter of the firefighter being cleared by the group officer for priority 1 driving also ;)

rescue5271

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 05:28:59 AM »
Have to say that some people in group cars need to take along hard look from where their coming from in a group car to go to job's, Is there any need for a group duty officer to take the car to say Adelaide and then get paged for a job and drive P1 from the city to that fire???. I see no need to drive P1 to the station if you are with in your brigade area and you get a job while  being at a PR event,the only time you should may be go P1 is once you have spoken to base via phone/radio and there is no driver at the station and you are stuck in traffic....

At the end of the day its a group car and so each group should have in place what they want not the brigade....

uniden

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 05:03:39 PM »
a matter of the firefighter being cleared by the group officer for priority 1 driving also ;)
The group officer? If you are cleared to drive appliances priority 1 then it is a no brainer. Or are you talking about car drivers?

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 05:08:09 PM »
The group officer? If you are cleared to drive appliances priority 1 then it is a no brainer. Or are you talking about car drivers?

im talking about plain car driving firefighters....and since its a group vehicle, its the group's responsibility ;)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 05:25:16 PM »
I suggest you read Chief Officers Standing Orders COSO 8, and the truth will be revealed :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 05:58:02 PM »
Yeah, cause everyone has a copy of them on their PC Desktop, or on the kitchen bench for some Dinner Time / forum time reading.. :roll:

-Firey9119 .. Depends on the circumstances.. I don't know the circumstances of the instance you are referring too, so I will with-hold my comment.. For now.. :)

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 08:01:29 PM »
coso 8 

• incidents where the chief officer(or delegated officer), incident controller, group or region determine that an urgent response is required given the avaliable information.
  • incidents which are not under control or are in an unknown condition  NB:Command vehicles and staff vehicles shall not respond p1 to any incidents below 2nd alarm unless requested by incident controller.

well part of it anyway

just for info - from what i have heared the event i am thinking of goes against all of this..

and if i have read and understand it this refers to repsonding to a job not station.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 09:09:39 PM by Firey9119 »
Phillip H
FireFighter
(Firey9119)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 09:03:12 PM »
Why would a group officer be responding to anything less than a 2nd alarm?

Yes this does open up a can of worms since i believe any job with >4 appliances requires a group officer. And in theory 2 trucks = 1 alarm level so 4 trucks = 2nd alarm.  But if everyone sends all the trucks they have crew for the whole definitions fail.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 07:05:36 AM »
if the situation was as you describe firey9119 it doesn't seem right, if they were to be involved in a prang etc they would have a hard time justifying themselves.  But perhaps there is more to it than you are aware of (I don't know the case you mention, I just raise this as a possibility since in my observation many people like to jump to conclusions without having all the facts).  If you have concerns I suggest you should raise this with your group officer.

(and PS. Zippy that must be a local group rule you're talking about)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 08:16:41 AM »
driving the command car would be fine...but a matter of driving Priority 1, without the approval or acknowledgement of your group officer(s)....wouldnt u think the group officer would be worried about inexperience etc, and the driver not understanding the road laws and cfs rules of priority 1? 

nah its not local...because local is following the coso's...

for this specific case, just drive Normal road conditions, the worlds not going to end. It might keep the person out of trouble, if they crash.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 08:20:58 AM by Zippy »

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 12:04:30 PM »
Just to go back to the original post, responding back to a station in a Group Car, Logistics Car or even our 14 priority one for a firecall is not what we do in our Group.

If you are out in a Command Car and a job comes in then you respond to the station under normal driving conditions like all the other members do. If you are more than a few minutes away and miss the truck then too bad, obviously everyone else is closer and you are not needed. This has happened to me a number of times and we have never responded P1 to the station, if an accident was to happen the question would definetly be asked of what exactly you were responding P1 for, isn't that why you have other members in the brigade.

Of course if someone else requests you to respond back to the station P1 then that is a different story, as that person has then taken on the responsibility of authorising you to respond, if in doubt then check with your Group Duty Officer as to what you should do.

Responding P1 for no need makes us look like dads army and just creates OH&S issues. Even if we are out in our 14 and we get a job that requires our 24 or 24P we still only return priority 2, obviously if it is a job that our 14 would normally respond to then we will respond direct to the job (as long as we are in area and appropriately crewed).

As for Group Officers responding P1 to jobs that is easily covered with this line in the SOP's

incidents which are not under control or are in an unknown condition  NB:Command vehicles and staff vehicles shall not respond p1 to any incidents below 2nd alarm unless requested by incident controller.

This talk of trucks responding from the city to jobs back in their own areas reminds me of a situation that occurred to one of our neighbouring brigades many years ago, I think they got an alarm call back home whilst their truck was in the city, you can guess what happened.

misterteddy

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 12:51:41 PM »
of course a smart, pro-active Group would have all possible people trained and ready to go at anytime as potential Strike Team Leader Drivers and all the other myriad of other things we can use Command cars for....wouldn't they??

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 11:48:52 AM »
THANKS ALL you all have confirmed what i was thinking anyway
Phillip H
FireFighter
(Firey9119)

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 12:05:08 PM »
THANKS ALL you all have confirmed what i was thinking anyway

Yes but havent you done exactly the same thing once before ???????????
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

anything