Author Topic: GRN RADIO'S  (Read 14364 times)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: GRN RADIO'S
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 07:41:42 AM »
Well we on;y have 1 portable in each truck. I agree with those who say we don't really need more GRN's just more VHFs.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2009, 07:42:41 AM »
The CFS can't win with some of you guys, I can imagine all the crap if they issued $65 VHF radios (like the chinese ones you get on ebay).  The better quality of these radios generally work ok to start with but very quickly go out of spec (if they were ever in spec). 

The dollars quoted for the Icoms from tetracom is not just for a radio but a package of spare battery, case, programming, 5 yr warranty and overheads for tetracom to deal with all that is involved when invoicing the state govt. Just the bare radio itself is around $450 odd I think - but my opinion is for the quality of the radio that is too much but really who cares, you either need a piece of equipment or not, regardless of cost.  I completely agree that every appliance should be equipped with one VHF portable per person but of course there is no central funding for that but groups run their own budget and are free to buy as many extras as they want depending how important they decide this to be.

The official allocation of GRN portables was supposed to be 1 per appliance except specificed EMA and special purpose appliances get 2.  This was not always followed properly in some regions (but is pretty much the rule in region 1 at least).

We can work with MFS on the fireground at present, you just have to treat the MFS appliance as their own sector reporting on GRN (trunked or simplex) to the IC or DivCom (works better when you have a couple of MFS appliances and a district officer in a car, he can act as a strike team leader or sector commander).

I can understand people calling for an additional portable for appliances to be able to talk to the bombers but in the bigger picture that is not a good idea.  Other regions would have been better following region 6 lead and insisting the bombers use the incident talkgroup otherwise accept the fact that the bombers will not be able to talk to anyone until a command car arrives on scene (or the group duty officer relays between the incident TG and bombers).

Finally HF radios have not gone out, they are still around but the preference is satphones, every appliance in remote areas should have one, if not then talk to your group officer and put in a hazard form and make a fuss until you do.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 07:49:05 AM »
....Someone mentioned $65 for a VHF radio, well the CFS approved Icom is $893.00 each from Tetracom.For OHS every crew should have one...especially the pump operator. :wink:

Then add the cost of the repeater towers that were established, licenses, maintenance, repairs, staff, etc if you expanded the VHF network.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2009, 07:54:30 AM »
Does the VHF network even use repeaters ?

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2009, 07:57:44 AM »
not in SA (there is no 'VHF network' just VHF radios), I presume bajdas is talking about a theoretical return to 'the good old days'

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 08:01:20 AM »
Does the VHF network even use repeaters ?

According to a cable installer a few years ago during the setup, some are on towers in the Murray Mallee area. But that is second-hand old knowledge, so could be wrong.

But CFS are paying a lot of license fees to Australian Communications and Media Authority, so I would expect they still exist. http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/client_search.client_lookup?pCLIENT_NO=169283&pSORT_BY=&pOFFSET=0

The website details CBRS repeaters at Kingston, Paney Homestead, Flinders Chase National Park & Innes National Park.

The then again it also lists three maritime licenses ?????   :?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 08:10:42 AM by bajdas »
Andrew Macmichael

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2009, 08:14:50 AM »
There are still quite a few groups who run HF in appliances and command cars, ie Region 3,4,6 groups.

Satphones seem to have taken over most HF as preferred communication of choice.
Images are copyright

Darren

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 08:15:18 AM »
Beside the fact they aren't very good radio's with woeful batteries.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2009, 08:30:57 AM »
What will be interesting is how many times the "Emergency Call" button will be activated on the new GRN radios when the rollout is completed.Not exactly the best spot for it :?
Images are copyright

Offline KDOO_BTO

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2009, 08:49:23 AM »
What will be interesting is how many times the "Emergency Call" button will be activated on the new GRN radios when the rollout is completed.Not exactly the best spot for it :?
keep the 0.5's away from the radios and everything should be ok
No ute No circle work

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2009, 10:32:23 AM »
According to a cable installer a few years ago during the setup, some are on towers in the Murray Mallee area. But that is second-hand old knowledge, so could be wrong.

they were wrong or mistaken

But CFS are paying a lot of license fees to Australian Communications and Media Authority, so I would expect they still exist.

The info I have is the licences are for fireground VHF and HF.  Also CFS doesn't pay for ACMA licences.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2009, 11:14:20 AM »

they were wrong or mistaken

But CFS are paying a lot of license fees to Australian Communications and Media Authority, so I would expect they still exist.

The info I have is the licences are for fireground VHF and HF.  Also CFS doesn't pay for ACMA licences.

OK, thanks for the updated information.
Andrew Macmichael