Author Topic: River torrens - Wasteland  (Read 3910 times)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
River torrens - Wasteland
« on: February 12, 2009, 10:52:32 AM »
Talk about a massive Local government stuff up!

Popeeye - Out of action
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6483299,00.jpg

Ugly look
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6483289,00.jpg

Flash Flooding - Stirling HERE IS YOUR SWIFT WATER RESCUE!
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6483122,00.jpg

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: River torrens - Wasteland
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 01:19:32 PM »
Went for a walk at lunchtime & temporary fencing is being erected along the edge of Elder Park to prevent people walking on the soft mud. Amazing how much rubbish has been thrown into the lake & is now exposed.

Now, will they refill from Mt Bold Reservoir during the drought which is damaging the Lower Murray Lakes   :evil: ... that will be a political bun-fight with major events (Fringe, Clipsal500 V8, etc) planned.

Under the King William Road bridge near Jollys Boat House, the exposed river banks are already beginning to smell.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »
THE Lord Mayor admits that the accidental draining of Torrens Lake overnight is an appalling embarrassment - but says it's unlikely to be refilled without rain.

The once-scenic lake is today a stinking mud hole after it was drained of millions of litres of water overnight when an electrical fault opened the weir gates.

Adelaide City Council staff were forced to manually wind the weir shut but levels had already dropped by more than two metres and the water was rushing into the sea.

Despite a range of festivals over the coming months – including the The Fringe, Womadelaide and the Clipsal 500 – Lord Mayor Michael Harbison says Adelaide may have to put up with the mudflats over its peak tourism period.

Should the Torrens Lake be refilled with water from Kangaroo Creek Reservoir? Vote in our poll on the lower right of this page and have your say below. SMS your photos to 0429 078 685, or email them to [email protected]

"It's very embarrassing and we obviously wish it hadn't happened," Mr Harbison said.

"We'd love to have water, but I just don't think they'd (SA Water) give us water for this."

Mr Harbison says some may see it as being irresponsible amid water restrictions to refill the Torrens from the Kangaroo Creek reservoir in the Adelaide Hills.

"And there would be those who might see it was worse to use water to do this rather than waiting for rain ... but I suspect we have no choice other than to wait for rain."

Tourism Minister Jane Lomax-Smith said the draining of the Torrens Lake would not spoil our festival season and should be viewed as a good opportunity to clean up the lake bed.

"This incident is regrettable – there would never be a good time for something like this to happen – but the reality is there's been no loss of lives and, in a week when we've had massive fires and tragedy across the nation, we can work with this and live with it," she said.

"I think this is a great opportunity for the Adelaide City Council.

"It is unplanned and they would not have chosen for this to happen but as we have lost water from the Torrens Lake it is a great opportunity to clean up the bed and I'm sure council will be working on remedial activities.

"I do not intend to talk down our major events season."

Dr Lomax-Smith did, however, warn people against exploring the lake bed.

"It's not a good time for people to go out and collecting bottles or walking on the mud, it's extremely dangerous. There's a significant risk if people do go out in those areas they will get into some difficulty.

"We do know this is unsightly but we're not going to let this spoil our events period . . . We don't want to talk down our events season.'

Tonnes of rubbish exposed

Parts of the lake are entirely without water, revealing tonnes of rubbish - including bikes, a car body and witches' hats - on the bottom of the lake.

Police from the Water Recovery unit attended and were expected to investigate the car, still half submerged in water. AdelaideNow understands they chose not to enter the water due to concerns about its toxicity.

"The lake is unlikely to refill until water flows from the catchment area upstream following a rainfall event," the council said in a statement.

"The higher sections of the lake have been the worst-affected, with the bottom of the lake now visible in several locations.''

Council environmental officers will assess the lake this morning to determine the overall impact on the lake and areas surrounding it.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 02:02:29 PM »
Adelaide...The Backwater...

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 08:37:58 AM »
Police from the Water Recovery unit attended and were expected to investigate the car, still half submerged in water. AdelaideNow understands they chose not to enter the water due to concerns about its toxicity.

lol

i went for a look and it was just gold :-D

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 07:47:57 PM »
I think it's a good thing.  A great opportunity to clean up the lake and have it fit for swimming next time it fills up! :)

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 09:54:38 PM »
I think it's a good thing.  A great opportunity to clean up the lake and have it fit for swimming next time it fills up! :)

CFS Firey, being a glass half full, kinda guy myself :-P, I agree with your sentiments.......but there is probably more chance of Elvis quitting the grill at Burger King and embarking on a world wide concert tour, than a survivable swim in the river Torrens Lake! :evil:
Just Another Filtered Fireman

anything