Author Topic: Interstate deployments  (Read 44951 times)

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Interstate deployments
« on: February 12, 2009, 01:28:29 PM »
are the days of large interstate deployments ie convoy of trucks and personnel a thing of the past? witht he growing concern of South Australia's build up of fuel in fire prone areas is this the reason or is the need just not there anymore with more crews interstate and technology advances and so on? interesting to hear others thoughts?

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
Re: Interstate deployments
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 01:44:10 PM »
I think trucks are only sent if needed.  With the vic fires they have enough appliances and just need the crews.

Also back in 94 was the CFS membership that much higher that a number of members could leave brigades without affecting turnouts where nowdays there arent as many vollies in brigades??
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 02:03:54 PM »
Brigades in my area seem to have quite a lot of members. the problem is there availability.  For interstate deployment, my particular brigade only had two hands up, out of 35+, sent the one...not even the slightest dent in our response capabilities.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 02:16:18 PM »
yea i was thinkin that its availabilty..where as out of prob 50 members in my brigade prob 35 would be able to go.

Offline firegun

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 02:55:25 PM »
I understand in my group we had 10 or so put their hand up when the call came out for 4 people. In years gone by we had many more do so.

Perhaps it is they cannot get off work or
sick and tired of the hurry up and wait associated with deployments or
they want to "protect their own patch" who knows.

the 4 sent from us would should not effect the responce from the group even though we have brigades with minimal crew levels and respond to jobs with what i think is short crewed (my view only). We would like we do now respond more brigades. (we have many brigades in the group including the Doo)

misterteddy

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 03:26:24 PM »
ahhh....its good to be back

not having appliances....major pain in the arse

Note to all concerned....take 10 appliances next time plus 4 command cars. Time lost in searching for appliances and finding enough gear to get them going wasted half a day on the first day and a couple of hours on the second day. We know our gear, our gear is far superior, and it makes us independant and and ADDITIONAL asset, not a drain on them. I'm sure by the end of day 1 they were thinking is it worth having them here, as all we were doing was keep asking/needing stuff.

10 Trucks is nothing out of the state pool, hell theres 10 trucks sitting at angle park that could be used. Couple of us were discussing a plan to put forward to the Chief about standing deployment teams and resources, so once the dust has settled and we are all back and sorted out, we might put pen to paper with a suggestion

Nice to see u kept the place tidy while we were gone :lol:

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 03:39:21 PM »
Welcome home - well done! & totally agree (found the same thing in Newcastle).
And having a standard deployment response would make managing the next one far easier.
Ken
just another retard!

Offline firegun

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 06:27:26 PM »
couldn't agree more Misterteddy,

I have been on most interstate deployments in one role or another and the ones where had our own units (NSW in 94 and 02 for example) ran rings around the Victorian one in 2003. your issues were the same we had.
The only thing to add to the strike teams is some tankers due to the different fittings around the country and to make us virtually self sufficient.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 07:50:59 PM »
mister teddy...hope you take some action on your points. :) feedback is always good. maybe it will help to organise strike teams in the future :)

Offline Darcyq

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 07:58:38 PM »
ahhh....its good to be back

not having appliances....major pain in the filtered

"Ah yes, home sweet home". I think that the degree of pain might have been reduced if the pre-planning had included early information of which CFA Appliances we had to use, rather than waste time showing us around all different types not knowing which one was the one we would be using.

I think as an effective rapid response, I would suggest that the first deployment crews fly in and use the other states appliances, 2nd deployment drivers are organised and start driving over our own appliances ready for the 2nd deployment crews to be flown over to crew the trucks when they have arrived. That way we can get people on the ground fast but with backup on the way. But that is just my humble opinion. :wink:

rescue5271

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 08:15:31 PM »
Spoke to a mate in CFA tonight and he thinks that soon CFS will be sending over crews with appliances and command cars due to issues with local appliances being over worked and with issues with pumps and so on.. So I guess lets wait and see if it happens and what regions will get sent :roll:.More crews are due to leave over the weekend and on monday or tuesday...

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 08:31:02 PM »
sounds positive bill :) how high up is this mate??

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 11:11:24 PM »
Spoke to a mate in CFA tonight and he thinks that soon CFS will be sending over crews with appliances and command cars due to issues with local appliances being over worked and with issues with pumps and so on.. So I guess lets wait and see if it happens and what regions will get sent :roll:.More crews are due to leave over the weekend and on monday or tuesday...

That kinda goes against what im hearing!
Just Another Filtered Fireman

rescue5271

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 05:40:43 AM »
He is a regional officer who works in CFA H/Q....Its still 50/50 but will know more over the next few days.....

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 06:39:37 AM »
fair enough we shall wait and see  :wink:

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 07:49:11 AM »
You need to understand that there are so many factors that we aren't aware of with a deployment.....logistically, it is huge.  the best thing you can do is put your hand up if they ask for someone, be patient (if you can't be, don't go!).

Look closely at what happens when we get interstate deployments.....they are rarely put on the hot end....don't know the territory etc.

and finally, WHEN are deployments NOT going to wear their yellows on the plane...please, if after a week you haven't worn them enough and they don't stink, you haven't done any work.  It's time we had a deployment uniform, if only it's a shirt to wear.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 08:07:41 AM »
The Burnside blokes had the closest thing to a deployment uniform. 

The Green Field uniform, which could easily have your name and brigade added to it.  Id like to know how to get a set of this gear...Rainer???

misterteddy

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 08:48:48 AM »
You need to understand that there are so many factors that we aren't aware of with a deployment.....logistically, it is huge.  the best thing you can do is put your hand up if they ask for someone, be patient (if you can't be, don't go!).

Look closely at what happens when we get interstate deployments.....they are rarely put on the hot end....don't know the territory etc.

and finally, WHEN are deployments NOT going to wear their yellows on the plane...please, if after a week you haven't worn them enough and they don't stink, you haven't done any work.  It's time we had a deployment uniform, if only it's a shirt to wear.

ahh yes...the media starlets. There was certainly a couple of blokes who were everywhere a camera was. I certainly agree, I think certainly there should have been a no yellows call made (and I suspect you might be correct regarding the amount of time spent blacking out and the attire on the aircraft on the way home). We were half expecting a call to be made that everyone was to wear them, to portray a "weary hero firefighter" theme media circus at the airport, but thankfully that didnt occur

To be honest, I reckon its time we thought about making the CFS uniform available to all (remember its not just a paid staff uniform). It adds to the professional appearance of the group and a far more positive public image, rather than a rag tag bunch bunch of Brigade T-shirts/polos which is what we had. The media zoomed in on the MFS guys cos they LOOKED like firefighters. Decision to go was made Sunday at 10.30, everyone (or at the very least the large majority) could have been outfitted in a couple of hours  - or make it available for the trip home, they had 4 days to sort it out. Logisitcs for events like this are actually very easy. Having done a few like this - if u ask, you always get people falling over themselves to assist you. One for the post deployment debrief. Should we have the uniform anyway regardless of deployments? Should there be a subsidy for those who might want to buy it i.e. 50% reimbursed after completion of Suppress Wildfire and another 50% after 3 years service or something like that. Corporate uniform costs approx $90, not a huge expense really. All good discussion points for a coffee rountable later.

There were several Brigade versions of the green field uniform there, Burnside was just one of them.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 09:30:14 PM »
Anyone can go and buy the uniform, but yeah, you will be out of pocket for it..

I agree, a uniform is the LEAST[/i] they could do.. - After all, they are already getting a free fire service.. (So to speak)..

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 10:11:35 PM »
where abouts can these be obtained.

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 04:41:04 AM »
Stewart and Heaton?
Just Another Filtered Fireman

rescue5271

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 05:43:57 AM »
Sorry guys you can noand buy it,you need to go via the brigade,group and then region as too many people have just been rocking up to the suppliers and ordering with out following the chain of command. Would be nice to have  one but I do feel and I am sure we all do that CFS should supply it to all members after a period of service why should we have to pay for it.....

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 07:57:49 AM »
1909127 09:21:11 14-02-09 CFS: SIG INC: FYI: SELF HOSTED TELECONFERENCE AT 1030 HRS RE MAJOR DEPLOYMENT TO VIC - DSC EDEN. > 14/02/2009 9:20:56 AM CFS STC Info

Anyone know if this to do with sending more crews or about sending appliances instead  :?
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2009, 08:12:23 AM »
what ever it is robert its obviously bigger than anything before...and bill did hint other day his CFA mate in HQ said they would be askin 4 appliances

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 08:14:50 AM »
If they need extra crew i'll be putting my hand up  :-D
Kalangadoo Brigade

anything