Author Topic: CFA FIREFIGHTER DIES IN FIRE:  (Read 1837 times)

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
CFA FIREFIGHTER DIES IN FIRE:
« on: February 13, 2009, 06:26:08 AM »
CFA FIREFIGHTER DIES IN HOUSEFIRE IN VICTORIA ~ AFTER SPENDING DAYS ON THE FRONT LINES:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25043481-661,00.html

UPDATE 9.15pm: POLICE are probing a suspicious fire that killed a CFA volunteer after he returned from the bushfire front line.

Country Fire Authority (CFA) mates have named the dead man as Russell Pitt, whose body was found in the burnt-out ruins of his Upper Ferntree Gully home on Thursday morning.

CFA trucks were called to the Jean St address about 3.30am today to find the house engulfed in flames.

“When we got there this morning and the house was going, I think the initial crew was very sad, but we went on with our business until it was under control and then we all got out of it because by that stage I think the emotion was starting to tell with all the guys,'' Upper Ferntree Gully brigade captain Peter Smith told reporters.

Mr Pitt had returned home briefly after days fighting bushfires at Mirboo North in Gippsland and at Yarra Glen.

He was due to be sent out for fire duty again on Thursday.

“It's not fair. It's just not fair that he's been out doing all that, and here he is at home in bed,'' Mr Smith said.

“We're not quite sure what happened. Yeah, it's just not fair.''

Detective Acting Senior Sergeant Chris Goldrick, from the Knox CIU, said it could be some time before the body was formally identified.

He said the arson squad was investigating the cause of the fire, which is being treated as suspicious.

One neighbour said Mr Pitt was very community-minded.

“He was a really nice guy, involved with the community, the CFA and the likes,'' he told the Nine Network.

Another neighbour said she tried to save Mr Pitt's house.

“I came out and got the garden hose but I couldn't get close enough to the house,'' she said.

After the arson squad examined the scene, police said the blaze was being treated as suspicious.
A post-mortem examination will be conducted.

Police have notified the next of kin, the Knox Leader has reported.

He was among the team that spent several hours battling the Quarry Rd bushfire on Black Saturday – only a couple of hundred metres away from his home, a neighbour told the Knox Leader.

anything