Author Topic: Training frequency  (Read 25860 times)

Offline Sarge

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Training frequency
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 07:27:36 PM »

Why doing burnover drills now??? hmm, new members? some people been away for several months with work, now available again? refresh some minds again? Just part of the on going cycle of doing training? All reasons apply for one brigade that did burnover drill the other week

BINGO

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 07:34:29 PM »
My brigade is Rural\Urban in a small town average 20 calls a year. We train weekly how ever some of our members due to other comitments cant make training every week so we comprimise, So while they can't make all training they at least make all the ones that they can. That way they are still training. I have more respect for these people than the once that don't turn up to train because they can't be bothered.

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 07:48:48 PM »
we turn out to less than 10 incidents a year and train once on a sunay before the fire season..This is what we do and region know this and don say "you need to do more" so i guess its enough.

I'm assuming this is probly you baiting the guys here anyway.... but...

Considering the above statement, do you actually feel that you could competently respond to any incident that may arise in your area? Or is the community at risk due to poorly trained firefighters?

[I think i already know the answer to this and don't really expect an un-biased answer]

Offline Baxter

• ho ho ho its fire fighting time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 03:07:06 PM »
I'll say it again but I try and put it in simple terms so that you can understand it. Hang on it been said partly already

do you actually feel that you could competently respond to any incident that may arise in your area? Or is the community at risk due to poorly trained firefighters?

considering the statements made by Alex one bad day on the job lives a lot longer in the minds of the community than 10 good jobs. More importantly we train to reduce the risks that we are exposed to so that we come home safe.
keep it simple for sanity skes please

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 03:25:08 PM »
we turn out to less than 10 incidents a year and train once on a sunay before the fire season..This is what we do and region know this and don say "you need to do more" so i guess its enough.

I'm assuming this is probly you baiting the guys here anyway.... but...

Considering the above statement, do you actually feel that you could competently respond to any incident that may arise in your area? Or is the community at risk due to poorly trained firefighters?

[I think i already know the answer to this and don't really expect an un-biased answer]

Hmmm well i havent been to an incident or heard of one ever that our brigade hasnt been able to handle. people just have to realise some brigades do things differently to others just the way it is.

Offline Baxter

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2009, 03:39:13 PM »
Hmmm well i havent been to an incident or heard of one ever that our brigade hasnt been able to handle. people just have to realise some brigades do things differently to others just the way it is.

Hark do I hear the sound of a can of worms opening  :evil:

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2009, 03:58:46 PM »

Hark do I hear the sound of a can of worms opening  :evil:

whats ya mean?

Offline Baxter

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2009, 05:14:13 PM »
Well Bagyassfirey if you do things differntly to other brigades does this mean

a) compitsite crews rearly occur for your brigade
b) that you having a different training standard
c) you (your brigade) have been lucky not to have an injury that is required to have an investigation

and on I can go with more probing questions

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2009, 12:40:44 PM »
i meant we do things different from other brigades by not having an organised training once a week.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2009, 03:45:21 PM »
Cause when the S**t does hit the fan what's one of the first things they check "training records" to see types of training, competence, fequency, attendance, and so on........

Offline fireygal

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2009, 12:57:55 PM »
I have a 3 year old and I cant always get to training, however my priority is to go to as many as i can when i can. That is all the brigade ask for. I attend as many calls as i can but my daughter is always my first priority.

Training is always important. You can never know everything and sometimes its the simplest tasks that we might forget. Whether you have training once week/ fortnight or monthly is a brigade discretion and if it works then so be it.
but brigade members need to be up to date and familiar with their equipment. nothing worse than responding to a call and not knowing where equipment is or not knowing how to use it.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2009, 06:46:42 PM »
Or maybe people need to be much stricter on themselves about admitting when they don;t think they know enough to be safe at the job.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2009, 06:04:32 PM »
Or maybe people need to be much stricter on themselves about admitting when they don;t think they know enough to be safe at the job.

But your Brigade would never get a truck out the door?
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2009, 07:32:37 PM »
hahaha, i can say things have changed

pumprescue

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2009, 02:09:44 PM »

But your Brigade would never get a truck out the door?

I thought that was Stirling that didn't get trucks out the door ? Maybe I am wrong, but I doubt it....  :-P

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2009, 06:25:30 PM »
I thought that was Stirling that didn't get trucks out the door ? Maybe I am wrong, but I doubt it....  :-P

Geeze, where to start? Stirling haven't got any crew to get out the door, so no response is a given. If we we're to look at all the Brigades who couldn't get out the door because their members "Dont know enough to be safe at the job" We'd realistically be looking at 99% of the service :P

Well, apart from Burnside, Barker, the Valley and the 'vale of course...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2009, 06:35:41 PM »
theres a few "others" numbers....its just a matter of "consistancy" in those "others".

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2009, 06:36:52 PM »
com'on i can guarantee we would be able to safely roll to all the tree downs  :-D :-P

But seriously, I think although people scream "Its voluntary  so I'll come when it suits", but then go and play local sport and Never miss a training, they should be able to apply that commitment to CFS.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2009, 09:30:21 PM »
OK mod hat on

We have had some complaints about this thread, as there haven't been any personal attacks and i believe it is all in good humour, i'll leave it but lets get back on topic and discuss training frequency.

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2009, 11:37:57 PM »
wait....what?

There has been some complaints about the lack of slandering?

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2009, 05:23:54 PM »
com'on i can guarantee we would be able to safely roll to all the tree downs  :-D :-P

But seriously, I think although people scream "Its voluntary  so I'll come when it suits", but then go and play local sport and Never miss a training, they should be able to apply that commitment to CFS.

OK mod hat on

We have had some complaints about this thread, as there haven't been any personal attacks and i believe it is all in good humour, i'll leave it but lets get back on topic and discuss training frequency.

Take your chainsaw and go and have a cry in the corner...

I hear that you don't mind the odd pair of chaps. Both chainsaw and love related?

Actually, I'm going to start complaining about anyone who complains. I've never met a bunch of more soft skinned 'Firefighters' in my life... Something to do with volunteering perhaps?

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2009, 08:35:26 PM »
Hmmm Numbers :wink:
seems like that to me too (somethings should not be discussed at all even if it is constructive criticism)- thats why I don't play in the sand pit much anymore :-D
Anyway hope everyone has fun with their chaps - I just got a new pair! :wink:
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2009, 10:42:43 PM »
Hmmm Numbers :wink:
seems like that to me too (somethings should not be discussed at all even if it is constructive criticism)- thats why I don't play in the sand pit much anymore :-D
Anyway hope everyone has fun with their chaps - I just got a new pair! :wink:
cheers

Chook..... did you wear out the old pair... just chainsawing.

The sandpit bekons, weve missed your mindless drivel.....is it a mexican thing? :-D
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2009, 11:47:56 AM »
No mate the wild men of southern NSW didn't have a use for them in the past (only the boys from Paddington  :wink: ).
Anyway dark green isn't my colour.
Ken
just another retard!

Offline KDOO_BTO

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2009, 09:43:54 AM »
What a fantastic topic this one is. I wish I'd found it much earlier. As a Brigade Training Officer from a brigade who's captain doesn't beleive in training I find my self severely frustrated on a regular basis.  The sooner the CFS introduce a skills maintenance program that is required to be conducted on a yearly basis the better.
No ute No circle work