General Discussion > CFS Cadet Corner

what is going on with cadets?

(1/15) > >>

rescue5271:
For sometime now I have felt that our CFS cadet's are being left out of CFS role's that they where allowed to do. The introduction of what they can or can't do has made it hard for those that train these young members and in many cases cadets are leaving because the fun has gone out of the CFS.

So tell me what do other people think about cadet's,do they still belong or are they being left out of things so as to remove cadet's from the CFS ???

kat:
We had a few interested cadets who, I think, enjoyed training with the seniors more than when they were moved to a separate programme with less emphasis on fire related stuff. There was a lot of good work done by Tracy in ESAU in youth programs but it introduced a plethora of rules and regs and was generic and I consider more suited to a youth organisation than a fire service junior unit. It also caused a bit of a stir by sometimes seeming in conflict with our own services act, regs and SOPs. Our cadets are virtually now non existant - waiting to come back as firies at 16 as some have already done.

corocfs:
i was a cadet for severla years and (luckily) became a fire fighter before they introduced many of the current rules about what cadets can and cannot do. weve had many of our cadets visibly lose a lot of interest in what they do since theyre not allowed to attend burnoffs or use RCR or HAZMAT gear. this takes out a lot of the fun that cadets are allowed to have. we havent had any resignations, but the loss in interest has been noticeable.

does anybody have any thoughts on wether the age of graduation from cadet to firefighter should be changed to 18?

our group has recently been having discussions about wether cadets are mature enough to join a brigade and attend incidents at the age of 16. not only do we have 16year olds that are not physically big enough wanting to attend incidents, but we also have 15 year olds that have birthdays coming up soon wanting to join brigades and they are quite definitely not mature enough in the way they act.

i know a brigade holds the right to prevent people from joining, but i feel age restriction to 18 may have its merits, because after all theses younger firefighters (under the age of 18) are not legally adults, and yet they are sometimes made to make descisions that may endanger there fellow crew members of members of the public.

any thoughts?

Mike:
I could be wrong.... but the last i heard the brigade had the option of delaying the transition to a firie????? A good thing if maturity is of concern.

Anyways,

Having started at my brigade as a cadet, it has been interesting to see all the different rules and regs come through. Its come full circle since then, and im now also assisting in training the cadets.

The thing that most disapoints the cadets in our area is that they have joined to learn how to fight a fire, but thanks to the very few who dont put their brain into gear before acting, are now told fire (and almost everything else) is  "out of bounds"

Kind of defeats the purpose for them really.

As the future of the service, we should be giving them controlled exposure to what we do. It keeps them interested, and by the time they become firefighters, are well prepared to do the job......

There is a place.... we just need to sort out where that place should be....!

Cheers,

joejarman:
well i am in alabama so i will say this our fire dept keeps us busy down here but we always have some kind of fun wheather it be sharing a storie from another fd on what some one said but otherwise let me know if you want some suggestions

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version