General Discussion > CFS Cadet Corner

what is going on with cadets?

<< < (2/15) > >>

strikeathird:
To be honest, I think the move to change what they "can and can't do" is for the better.

Burnoffs for example.  I have seen them get out of hand with Fire Fighters running them, and believe they are no task for a cadet.  I agree the age of Fire fighter should be lifted to 18, despite what others may think, I belong to a brigade that is extremely busy, and attends a wide magnitude of calls, and frankly, after myself being a F/F at the age of 16, dont think those under 18 can honestly be mentally ready, or "experienced" for some situations.

But, we have to argue weather these things could make the youth of Australia less interested in CFS....   At the end of the day, I think it will be a lose lose situation.  Its either, take away things to keep them safer - making them lose interest, or give them these things, allowing them to experience things they shouldnt...

What are your thoughts?

CyberCitizen:
I Think The Age Bracket Of 16 Is Fine.  I Do Think That The Brigade Needs To Make The Descision As I Still Believe They Still Have To Be Voted In By The Members.

I Think It Depends On The Person But The Person In Charge On The Job Needs To Remember That The Young Firey Might Not Be Able To Handle What They See/Experience, So Giving Them A Job Like Traffic Gives Them The Sense Of Involvement.  This Is Until They Are Ready.  Keep In Mind These Are My Views & Are Directed At RCR.

strikeathird:
I do see what you are saying, but then you are taking some one to the job who you already know can;t totally fulfill the duties that may be required.  EG.  What if the duties requires them to see somehting they shouldnt!?   Having someone there, and taking a seat on a truck, who can "only" do traffic, is to me a little silly.

But i do understand what you mean, my alternative is they shouldnt go at all, untill deemed "capable", or "able" to handle what they may see / have to do etc.

CyberCitizen:
But What If They Could Handle It Eg Not Yet, But After A Few Callouts They Can.  Eg It Could Be Classed As On The Job Training.

They Might Be Uneasy Or Unsure To Start With But After A Few They Become Used To It.  Without Them Attendings Scenes There Is No Way For Them To Get On The Job Training.  There Is Only So Much That Can Be Done At Trainings Sessions.

Eg You Start Them With Traffic So They Get Used To The Way Things Run, As They Start Learning More & More They Move On Into Other Things, While Getting Older & Mature At The Same Time.

Firefrog:
Vehicle accidents or structure fires with persons reported are no place for young people. I remember Jill Scott saying once that it's unlikely that any person younger than 21 has attained the type of maturity and coping skills required to attend such an incident. I attended my first three fatalities when I was eighteen and all within one week ( I'm only slightly crazy) :-D -
Although I coped fine I still agree with Jill.

However I have trained many younger people who are ready to attend grass fires and other less stressful incidents. It comes down to the individuals skill, maturity and willingness to learn and also the confidence the leadership of the brigade has in the person. I don't think it's a matter of policy, but an informed & considered decision on which incidents a specific individual should or should not attend.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version