Author Topic: Get Ready For the Big One  (Read 15388 times)

Offline Darcyq

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Get Ready For the Big One
« on: March 09, 2009, 11:57:43 AM »
A very interesting article was in the Weekend Australian, titled "Get Ready For the Big One" I have inserted the link to the full article for those that may not have seen Sat's paper. http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,,25148472-28737,00.html

The comments in regard to volunteers I thought were right on the mark.

..."We have to recognise that a lot of our response and recovery effort is reliant on volunteers and the nongovernmental sector. The overall cost if we had to fully fund our emergency management volunteer effort -- if we had to pay the volunteers, including overheads -- is in the order of $12 billion a year. There are more than 500,000 emergency management volunteers in Australia. They are predominantly male, average age 47, with very few from Asian, eastern European, Middle Eastern or indigenous backgrounds.

How we nurture and maintain this volunteer workforce will be a substantial challenge. Volunteers don't want to be paid. But we should be addressing volunteer costs in meeting training standards. This could be considered on a cost-share basis between the commonwealth and jurisdictions. The average cost is about $500 a year for each active volunteer member. The total cost of such an initiative would be about $150 million a year.

We need a national strategy for emergency volunteers similar to Defence Department support for employers and self-employed reservists whereby employers qualify for financial compensation if they face difficulties in releasing employees to undertake reserve duty. Given the regular deployments of emergency volunteers in support of community safety, often performed in urgent and dangerous circumstances as we saw in the Victorian bushfires, there's a strong case that similar support should be made available for the employers of our emergency volunteers.

The investment for future emergency management capability for Australia lies in volunteerism, retaining and maintaining the 500,000 Australians who make this sacrifice.

The idea from last year's 2020 summit to allow students to reduce their HECS debt with voluntary work should be treated with caution, however. It would be a bureaucratic nightmare to administer and risks producing volunteers who aren't committed. Managing volunteers is no different from managing career staff: training, supervision, indemnity insurance and police-check requirements are the same. You just can't plug in the average 20-year-old university student into a make-work scenario.

A more cost-effective strategy would be to transfer the money that would go on HECS discounts directly to the voluntary sector".

Another method for ensuring manpower / skills are available for emergency situations is what some other countries are doing. I know Singapore have National Service which includes service to the Fire. Police, Ambulance along with the military. This obviously would cost money, but if instigated for a 12 month period between high school and Uni would provide stable work force.

Open to comments (flak jacket secured)

Offline Baxter

• ho ho ho its fire fighting time
    • View Profile
Re: Get Ready For the Big One
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 02:09:10 PM »
Being the poor bugger :cry: paying off my HECS debt so far this financial year I have done $15 K + to the federal government and being a volunteer. It is unlikely that I will pay off my HECS debt but if the federal government want to have a rewards systems in place that reduces each year for volunteer work all I can say is go for it !

"Another method for ensuring manpower / skills are available for emergency situations is what some other countries are doing. I know Singapore have National Service which includes service to the Fire. Police, Ambulance along with the military. This obviously would cost money, but if instigated for a 12 month period between high school and Uni would provide stable work force."

It should not be offered just for those that are having that gap year as it took me some time to decide on what I am going to do for the rest of my life after I left school where by I floated between the paid and higher education for some time nor should it be restricted by age. As some people may use it as means to try out a new career path.
keep it simple for sanity skes please

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 04:25:15 PM »
Darcyq...."Flak jacket secured" even though the larger body mass of the thorax is the easiest target...Im a head shot kinda guy :-D
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 05:12:42 PM »
The blighters have been reading my notes !!

Agree with most of the exerpts you have copied to the list, but not that last
paragraph.

It seems to contradict itself to me.  Turning over a significant percentage of
your workforce every 12 months is not "stability".  Nor is it long enough to
make an experienced FF. And with many positions occupied by gap-year people,
it reduces the number of career positions available and its attractiveness as
a career.

Looking at the actual article, there are big holes in his warnings arguments -
technical and social.  Bergin & Templeman are right, but

[a] a warning has to be delivered in time to be acted upon.. which means delegating
issuing public warnings to one of the first couple of steps in the information
chain - senior volunteer level (can't see SAFECOM or the minister handing off that
degree of information control any time soon - an unpaid & untrusted vollie might say
something controversial, or worse... true!!)

those it is delivered to have to be prepared and practised to act instantly &
effectively (yeah, right, like that's ever gonna happen...) 

On the whole, a reasonable statement of what should be.

cheers

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 06:43:04 PM »
Fantastic article thanks. A couple of thoughts on the "gap year" idea. My guess is they would be used in lower risk, lower skilled areas - not frontline stuctural or USAR (for the rescue types)tasks.
The new people who joined the military as a career the same time as gap year was people are saying the gap year people are getting the good jobs (my daughter joined the navy last year & will only be joining a ship in two weeks) - said that gap year guys got a higher priority & better postings).
And like any good National service system there has to be a good filtering system.
And at least it will give the younger generations the basics around emergency management, think about it for a while - thousands of trained "citizens" to allow for a proper surge capability (better than the UFU idea :wink:).
And obviously there would be some major hurdles that need to be overcome - proper training for officers/leaders(egomaniacs need not apply), proper training programs delivered by competent qualified trainers, funding, equipment etc.
I can see a combined "basic" course for volunteer fire & SES, covering safety, command, how to work in teams, map reading - all of that stuff including basic fire fighting & rescue/storm damage! What a great idea - pity it won't happen!Time to write to mister Rudd I think :-D
Again thanks for a great read.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 09:42:33 AM »
Back to the drawing board no BIG ONE this year :-P
Images are copyright

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 09:47:10 AM »

The year's not over yet...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 10:24:35 AM »
As everyone else says..But i myself say..It is,but it isnt..cos a Year is 365 Days long...

Rural Fire Season: Over
Road Crash Season: All year round.
Alarm Seasons: All year round.
domestic fire season: all year round.
hazmat season: happens as often as Kevin rudd Laughs.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 10:28:57 AM by Zippy »

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 11:35:32 AM »
As everyone else says..But i myself say..It is,but it isnt..cos a Year is 365 Days long...

Maybe where you are.
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 11:51:31 AM »
Jesus... go tell the Vics that.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 11:59:18 AM »

Maybe where you are.

Low likelyhood of a Weather system that will cause "The Big one" now.

If winds cause the FDI to go over a 100 now...ill retract my post...

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 01:49:22 PM »

Maybe where you are.

Low likelyhood of a Weather system that will cause "The Big one" now.

If winds cause the FDI to go over a 100 now...ill retract my post...

"Ill retract my post"..... not good enough Zippster, after making a big statement you cant get away with just a, Ill retract my post. NO we here at SAF require more for a brazen statement retraction such as this!
Perhaps........I'll shave one eyebrow off,......or I'll wear jeans with the arrse cut out and a Barry Manilow t shirt to Ponde :-o,......or I'll sit through a speech by David Place without falling asleep!

Now where talking(posting), what punishment can members dream up as suitable for Zippy!.............GAME ON :evil:

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 02:56:41 PM »
Game on!! ;)

Just have to wait for the April/May Burnoff season...pretty sure lots of people will "Fail".

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 03:00:53 PM »
..pretty sure lots of people will "Fail".

..and if they don't, will you retract this post as well? :P

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 03:40:44 PM »
ill retract the Retraction!...that filtered word...having vocabulary sucks! i wish i was a country hick!

Offline wombat34

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 05:53:01 PM »
What's wrong with being a hick :-D be careful Zippy, quite a few AWS recorded FDI's over 100 last Saturday. Looking at the drought factor index and the soil moisture index we are not out of the woods yet.
A Wombat eats roots, shoots and leaves

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 06:42:05 PM »
And a weather forecast of 34 degrees next Wednesday, with an overnight low of 20  for Adelaide...... so our fire season might not yet be over....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 06:55:50 PM »
yeah...i thought that wasnt too usual to expect...34 degrees with <10km/h winds...nice day for the pool ...or work  :wink:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 06:57:22 PM by Zippy »

misterteddy

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 07:55:34 PM »

or I'll sit through a speech by David Place without falling asleep!

jaff....u are one mean s.o.b  :lol:

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 04:47:34 PM »
With current Onkaparinga Hills / Gorge fire and the recent Bridgewater fire, I do think SA is out of fire risk yet.

It all depends on what you define has 'the Big One'   :?
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline big bronto

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 06:11:38 PM »
If it is CFS then 10 hectares is big...

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 08:58:43 PM »
mmm yea had a 160 ha one today def not over yet.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 11:27:11 PM »
Big One = Level 3 IMT incident.

Therefore...i am still unable to be beaten by the crowd.

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 11:35:57 PM »
Big One = Level 3 IMT incident.

Therefore...i am still unable to be beaten by the crowd.

How about an angry mob............. with pitchforks,scythes, axes and burning torches :-D

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 04:01:47 PM »
Fire bans for tomorrow in four areas......

Is that what happens when the rural fire season is over Zippy...?   :evil:

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

anything