Author Topic: Pagers  (Read 25982 times)

Darren

Re: Pagers
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 07:03:37 PM »
Sheesh, 325, so that gets us through the first week..........lets hope its sooner rather than later.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 12:06:27 AM »
CFS shoulda asked the government for funding of about 3000 Pagers.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2009, 11:16:39 AM »
... They are slightly bigger ...

I hope by "slightly bigger" you mean "double the size".  Obviously a small pager is a thing of the past...

Offline vandog

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2009, 11:57:37 AM »
"slightly bigger" is a massive understatement. the smaller pagers make things alot easier but they are too expensive to be repaired, hence the new model.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2009, 02:13:01 PM »
I hope the bigger ones have alot more alert tones to choose from  :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Crankster 34

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2009, 04:24:31 PM »
I believe these are also user programmable, with up to 16 addresses available. Look out all those super cranks that want to get all the SigInc and MFS pager messages.

http://www.apollowireless.com/servlet/DownLoad?DOWNFILENAME=Gold%20programing%20instraction.pdf&DOWNFILENAMEURL=/upload/Downloads/1/1138923530555_0.pdf

They also come in cool colors like Cranberry and Smoke.

They are actually a more sensitive pager than the current Samsung ones, although they are a bit larger. Lots of CFA nufties have been buying them themselves as they are short of pagers over there too.

If brigades want to purchase their own they are available for around $185 from:

South Eastern Communications
Phone: 0449030704
Email:[email protected]

Crankster on scene, you can take a stop...

Offline Baxter

• ho ho ho its fire fighting time
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2009, 06:48:13 PM »
I don't want to sound like pauline whats her name, but can some one please explain how a few hundred pager will fix the problems so instead of sharing one pager between four we now share them between three.

I am also always personally amazed at how we can get good responce time in a rural brigade i.e. 18 minutes (nearest mets do it in 17 mins) using nothing more then SMS to get an entire crew on the road and rolling. The cost of the SMS is something that I do out of "donation to the Brigade" which is done with out any quarms. I wonder what would happen if we all had pagers.
keep it simple for sanity skes please

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2009, 07:39:26 PM »
am also always personally amazed at how we can get good responce time in a rural brigade i.e. 18 minutes (nearest mets do it in 17 mins) using nothing more then SMS to get an entire crew on the road and rolling. The cost of the SMS is something that I do out of "donation to the Brigade" which is done with out any quarms. I wonder what would happen if we all had pagers.

The concept of SMS alerts is useful but you have to look at it from all angles malleefire and consider numerous things such as

* How many brigade members actually have mobiles
* Can you be sure the phones will be turned on
* What mobile phone provider is each member with
* Signal coverage

Personally i wouldnt mind seeing SMS paging being introduced even to volunteers who have pagers but dont always carry them as it can assure response but also there is a downside in terms of delay in getting the sms due to area and mobile provider

Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Baxter

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2009, 07:56:16 PM »
R_R34 my rant was more of telling you how as a Brigade we are copping with the lack of pagers or workable pager not to adavance the cause of SMS technology I hope that this clarrifies the confussion of what I posted

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2009, 08:11:11 AM »
It is disappointing that there are many brigades around who do not have the pagers for their active members, due to a shortage state wide.  I know some brigades who have lost their new members, because they haven't been able to supply a pager to them (and don't look like being able to for a while yet!!)

SMS is not the answer, but is at least a temporary measure.

However, with SMS, apart from the issues previously discussed on this (and other forums, there is a new problem.

The new problem, as I see it from a fire fighters perspective is the new phone messaging alert system that is being introduced - the one which sends a text message to mobiles in a particular area, advising of a fire.    If a brigade within that area tries to send out an incident call to its members, who don't have a pager, and it coincides with the messaging alert calls, the chance of the message getting through to CFS members, in a timely fashion, is looking less & less likely!

Certainly at other large fires - including Black Tuesday, around Lincoln, and also around Mt Osmond, the recent Proper Bay fire, and I am sure many others, the mobile phone networks were full to capacity, and there were delays in getting access to the network to make calls......very difficult when you are on a fire ground, and trying to make incident related calls!!

I am aware (like many others) of numerous brigades who have been waiting 12 months+ for pagers. It is a disgrace that it has got to this point of such a severe lack of pagers.  Perhaps with election time coming up fast, the Government needs to be brought to account!

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Shiner

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2009, 10:59:35 AM »

The SMS service uses the signalling/control channels and not those used for voice calls and therefore is usually unaffected by all voice channels getting through.

As an SMS is also sent as a 'computer-to-computer' message, it only takes a tiny fraction of a second to send messages and hence those waiting get through a lot quicker - there is also no need to 're-send' as it queues up and get's sent at the earliest possible moment.

Like lots of things, there is not one solution that will fit all people in all situations, pagers for some, SMS for some, both for some, and other means as well, each one is a small part of the overall big-picture of how to notify active members of a call-out.

Jason
Swanport Group DGO - Region 3
Jervois CFS Brigade - "Home of the Original Hooker!"

Darren

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2009, 11:16:21 AM »
Wow, I knew things were bad, but not having to share like that, have you guys taken it any further, thats a disgrace. Perhaps we should band together, send a letter to region CC'd to the CFSVA, that is a joke!!

I know its SAFECOM wide issue, have had similar issues with the retained, having to ring them so they get enough crew together.

What a joke in 2009 we can't alert people properly, never had this issue when it was brigade run, we always had enough pagers.....bring back the siren!!

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2009, 12:14:58 PM »
What a joke in 2009 we can't alert people properly, never had this issue when it was brigade run, we always had enough pagers.....bring back the siren!!

Ahhh yes bring back the good ol fire phone system with a button linked to the station siren it worked everytime we needed crew 
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2009, 12:38:06 PM »

Ahhh yes bring back the good ol fire phone system with a button linked to the station siren it worked everytime we needed crew 

and canvas beaters, and petrol powered pumps and officers BA (aka holding your breath till the poisonous smoke isnt too bad and only burns your eyes) and asbestos fire suits and rubber hose and hatchets on our belts....

Lets not forget we moved away from those things for a reason....the reason hasnt changed....just allow the system we moved to enough resources to work is all that is needed.

If you guys are seriously sharing pagers for operational crews....why isnt it in the paper and on the radio every day until its fixed? It's the squeaky wheel that gets oiled....suffer in silence and thats exactly what you'll get in reply .....silence

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2009, 07:18:58 AM »
I don't want to sound like pauline whats her name, but can some one please explain how a few hundred pager will fix the problems so instead of sharing one pager between four we now share them between three.

I am also always personally amazed at how we can get good responce time in a rural brigade i.e. 18 minutes (nearest mets do it in 17 mins) using nothing more then SMS to get an entire crew on the road and rolling. The cost of the SMS is something that I do out of "donation to the Brigade" which is done with out any quarms. I wonder what would happen if we all had pagers.

have you raised this with your GO and regional commander?  what was the response?  have you spoken to your regional state volunteer telco committee rep? 

Offline Baxter

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2009, 07:41:22 AM »
have you raised this with your GO and regional commander?  what was the response?  have you spoken to your regional state volunteer telco committee rep? 

I am of the understnading the BC has followed the correct process of going through the group to region with no signs of the agreed to extra pagers to date. Maybe when they ask many of the new ones we can always say a _____ load of them.

At the moment I prefer due to the type of work that I am in getting a txt from the BC or a phone call from a Lt works for me.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2009, 08:37:36 AM »
I can't wait for some of the comments when the new pagers roll out..

Hope you enjoy one of the 3 tone options, as well as their bigger size and brick like features!!

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2009, 12:39:57 PM »
Hope you enjoy one of the 3 tone options, as well as their bigger size and brick like features!!

I wonder if one of the 3 tones has the same attention grabbing sound as alert tone 7 does at the moment  :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2009, 02:13:38 PM »
I can't wait for some of the comments when the new pagers roll out..

I figure many of those without pagers would be more than happy to get any pager that works!!! (even if it is brick like!!)   :evil:

Pip 
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2009, 04:09:48 PM »
The old link pagers were like a brick but had good alert tones
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2011, 09:25:53 AM »
Does anyone have an electronic form of the Samsung pager Quick Reference Guide they could upload or email?
Thanks,

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2011, 10:40:54 AM »
see attached...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:44:47 AM by Darius »

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2011, 12:21:20 PM »
Thanks for the upload Darius.

On another note....I sent two Samsung pagers in to be repaired and recieved two Samsung pagers as replacements.  Go figure!

anything