Author Topic: Becoming a Firefighter  (Read 13809 times)

Offline Infamous

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Becoming a Firefighter
« on: May 04, 2009, 10:29:31 PM »
Hello guys, couldn't find another forum so thought Id post here.

I'm currently completing college, and down the line I hope to have a career in something relating to IT.

However, I once harboured an ambition to become a Firefighter, and to a point that hasn't gone away.

So, with the possibility of a gap year coming up (I haven't decided if ill take one or not), I'm wondering, would I be able to work as a firefighter for that period, and then maybe come back to it down the track? Or, if I like it, carry on doing it?

Also, any advice on the subject?

Thanks

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Becoming a Firefighter
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 10:42:38 PM »
Hi and welcome,

If you live in the CFS areas then the answer is a probable Yes Depending on your brigade check out www.fire-brigade.asn.au for more info on that.

If you are actually think of getting paid employment in fire fighting then it is pretty much a Full time career. Rather than a gap year job. in SA this would be with the SAMFS and i'll let others tell you about this.

Then there are DEH summer fir crews which are available and they tend to be from october to aprilish??? I think.

There are others on here who can tell you more detailed info but that is a general start.

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 11:44:42 PM »
Infamous welcome to the forum - Happily I dont have to dash your hopes right of the bat,....You say " I once harboured an ambition to become a Firefighter" and that is a correct way to state it.
For if you had said "when I grow up I want to become a Firefighter"..... PROBLEM right there, unfortunately the two things (grow up & Firefighter) are mutually exclusive. :-D
Good luck
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Hazmat206

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Adelaide 206 respond to reduced Hazmat...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 01:39:06 AM »
Hi infamous,
The CFS would be the best option as it's not a full-time job. The MFS has had it's last intake therefore you wouldn't have much luck.
With you having credentials in I.T, it would be a waste of skills to become a full-time fireman, therefore join the CFS and years down the track if you eventually give I.T away, then apply for the MFS as you will already have experience in firefighting through the CFS. :wink:
206 to Adelaide fire,Incident #59,situation found 440, action taken 41,K45, over

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 03:25:09 AM »
Hello guys, couldn't find another forum so thought Id post here.

I'm currently completing college, and down the line I hope to have a career in something relating to IT.

Hi.

Currently completing college you say? Would this suggest you're an American? If so, http://forums.firehouse.com might help you just a little more than this place...

If not, then by all means join the CFS if you live in a CFS area.

As for joining a full time paid fire service after a career in IT, let me just suggest that if you get in early, the Australian 4 days on / 4 days off shift system allows for PLENTY of time for a second job... like IT!
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Infamous

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 05:46:31 PM »

Hi.

Currently completing college you say? Would this suggest you're an American? If so, http://forums.firehouse.com might help you just a little more than this place...

Not American, I am Australian, currently living in Tasmania. However, I am currently considering moving to the mainland (I'm thinking Queensland) after finishing school. By college, i am referring to years 11 and 12 (our school system is different to what it would be in SA, we have an extra grade so our schooling goes a year later.)

I'm looking at moving with a couple of friends (we will probably buy/rent a share house), and so it would need to be a working gap year in order to fund that, and to get me set up for University.

bittenyakka, you say that if I want to get paid, its pretty much a full time job. Is there absolutely no way i could get a working gap year job firefighting anywhere in Australia? This is something I would like to experience, and if i enjoy it I might stay on doing it.

You mention the CFS. I can see that they are a volunteer service, so i assume there wouldn't be any pay in it, which is something I wouldn't be able to go without should i follow my plans.

Thanks for the replies.

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 06:48:02 PM »
G'day Infamous
You'd probably have a better chance of getting in with the TFS than anything
else.  http://www.fire.tas.gov.au/mysite/enter.jsp

One fire service, with full-timers, retained (paid on-call) and volunteer.
Depending on where you live and how old you are, you should be able to get
into your local brigade, at least as a vol.  From vague memory, only metro
Hobart, Lonnie, Devonport & Burnie are all-career stations, & I'm not sure
about Devonport & Burnie. Then as paid positions come up, you'd be well
placed to go for them.

Otherwise, Forestry & possibly National Parks also take on seasonal f/f's.
In any event, you'll want to get matric under your belt before doing full-
time anything.  Doubt you'll get a gap year as a paid firie.  There's as
much to learn & become proficient in as there is in any 3 or 4 year
apprenticeship.  This is true whether you are a vollie or a career f/f.

cheers

(ex-Queenstown TFS 20-odd years ago)
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 12:16:23 AM »
....As for joining a full time paid fire service after a career in IT, let me just suggest that if you get in early, the Australian 4 days on / 4 days off shift system allows for PLENTY of time for a second job... like IT!

Not sure if you are working in IT, but at the moment (& the last few years) you will not get a part-time job in IT....unless you like IT helpdesk telephone call centres & even then it would be dubious their shifts would match with MFS shifts.

I tried that 5 plus years ago & ended up damaging both jobs to the extent I lost both.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Baxter

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • ho ho ho its fire fighting time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 07:43:29 PM »
Well Infamous, I hope you found what you were looking for with some of the replies that you got as they did not go beyond the first sentence of your original post. Besides the stock standard replies for MFS and CFS (come on guys learn to read all the information not what you want to see). As you indicated your in either Year 11 or 12 and doing IT.

Besides the short term work with Parks SA and SA water which is rather competitive and even some hardened SA fire fighter struggle to make the cut. If you are into something a bit different and it also caters for your gap year idea and provides travel, with IT in it to boot. Have you considered joining the Army gap year program which has a fire fighting specialization.

Yes I know it sound violent but thats the image that TV portrays all I can say look into as another option as not everything in the army involves seeing combat duty.
keep it simple for sanity skes please

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 01:05:02 PM »
As you indicated your in either Year 11 or 12 and doing IT.

I remember reading somewhere that people who are 18 will be required to undertake 6 months of national service with 3 months being basic physical and army training and the second 3 months where the person gets to select training of their own choice these being fire fighting,first aid or communications

Besides the short term work with Parks SA and SA water which is rather competitive and even some hardened SA fire fighter struggle to make the cut

This is true as i made it to the DEH pack hike but didnt make the cut cause the allocated time limit is very specific   
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 02:22:51 PM »
NOt wanting to get off task but what is involved in the process of gaining employment with DEH? I am curious... :?
I just want to help

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 03:20:37 PM »
1. Apply for a seasonal fire fighter position (when they open up)

This is done by applying online with Locher Recruitment and filling out an online application form

2. Attend a interview/medical at Locher Recruitment Office in Adelaide

3. Attend a physical pack hike and be able to carry a 11 kg backpack over a distance of 3.2 kms in under 30 mins

Not wanting to put you off gasman but most of the SA Fire Fighter members on this site including myself who have made it to stage 3 crashed and burned cause of it being a very competitive position to get into

OK back to the topic at hand   
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Baxter

• ho ho ho its fire fighting time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 09:13:28 PM »
Robert yes you are right about the pack hike I got that far as well and I thought that at the time I was fit and healthy.

I do have a small correction for you as the national service concept was scuttled as it was too politically hot for some of our polies. Even though the the social good did far out way the hum bug that it create

Again diverting the topic a tad national service was used in the past by other countries to reduce youth unemployment and the effects of recession and depression in the past. Along with infrastructure projects to improve the nation e.g. the snowy mountain scheme.
keep it simple for sanity skes please

anything