Author Topic: Getting a paid position with the cfs  (Read 7260 times)

Offline chinabone

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Getting a paid position with the cfs
« on: June 01, 2009, 11:46:29 AM »
Hey
Just wondering if anyone has info on how to get a paid position within cfs and also what positions there are that are paid and how u would go about getting one.
I Would like to make my career with the cfs but want to know what i can do now to help me down the track when there is a position available.
cheers.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a paid position with the cfs
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 03:29:20 PM »
Basically everything above and beyond Group Officer is a paid position. You can go into Admin, Operations, Training etc etc.

What are you doing at the moment? Still at school? You'll need certain qualifications behind you depending on what area you would like to get into.

From time to time you'll see advertisements for paid positions come up, it's probably best if you're young and relatively unqualified to try to start at the bottom, get your foot in the door and then work your way up from there.

Just be aware that you might have more fun and an easier life deep throating a shotgun with how the CFS is treating some of its staff and the personalities that you meet in the job...
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline chinabone

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 03:52:58 PM »
hey
id like to get into opertations or training
i left school last yr finished yr 11 went in to a appreticeship which got cancelled due to the economic down turn.
Ive been in the cfs since i was 11
have done bff1
work in a in a team
senior first aid
suppres wilfire
soon to be putting name down for frontline leadership.
just wanting to know like yea what shold i be looking at doing to get my foot in the door eg course with cfs and also outside of cfs

Offline Chinny

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 05:26:51 PM »
How old are ya mate 18?

Getting into the CFS is not hard at all if you got what they want simple so next time you see a job advertised like>> http://www.vacancies.sa.gov.au

ASO3  EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT TO CHIEF OFFICER
(Advt) 

CFS Level 4  BUILDING FIRE SAFETY OFFICER
(Advt) 

Look at what they want and set yourself some goals.

And if I was you I would be looking at heading to Tafe SA and sign up for this>> Certificate IV in Training and Assessment

Offline chinabone

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 05:47:04 PM »
yea was thinking putting my name down to do that course throught cfs but due to my age i doubt ill get a position with it soi may have to do it outside of cfs which i dont really mind doing.
ow and im 17  18 in febuary

Offline Chinny

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 05:49:35 PM »
Go outside of CFS you will be waiting years otherwise :lol:

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 03:26:15 PM »
well Cert IV for a training job but otherwise I'd go for a diploma in fire management type thing, eg. http://courses.swinburne.edu.au/Courses/ViewCourse.aspx?id=29084
do some googling around for jobs in paid fire services around australia and see what pre-requisites they want.  Another option could be via DEH perhaps.

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 06:27:35 PM »
I'd suggest a degree or a trade, and then get into the public sector if you want job security

...or if you want to work hard and make a lot more money - do the same, but be prepared to work a lot harder and spend a lot more time on your knees in the private sector where there are more options and less empire builders and backstabbers....

Offline David

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • David
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 06:59:22 AM »
Another qualification that won't hurt is in the area of Volunteer management, and to get into DEH other than as a seasonal firie you'll need a degree in Natural resources or similar, available through TAFE at Urbrae.
Good Luck you'll need it. :evil:
Williamstown
SFF 1
Log off
(formally 38)

Offline Big Yellow Gongbeater

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
 I'd be asking myself "why bother?" Fine if you want to be overworked, underpaid, fighting the old boys club constantly, working out which faction to align to in order to progress your career, not gaining any real experience in fire fighting and day to day emergency response (unless you remain a volunteer,but then you will be frowned upon and harassed by bored RC's should you become a brigade officer) inbreed and only have relationships with other SACFS staff or volunteers due to never having a life outside of SACFS.
 Hell since i've sold it that well, I might even apply for one...NOT

But seriously best of luck with that, if that's your personal career goal.  :-D
We volunteer to help our communities and gain satisfaction, we get paid to work!
"Madness and chaos reign supreme. My work here is done"

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 11:29:26 AM »
I'd be asking myself "why bother?" Fine if you want to be overworked, underpaid, fighting the old boys club constantly, working out which faction to align to in order to progress your career, not gaining any real experience in fire fighting and day to day emergency response (unless you remain a volunteer,but then you will be frowned upon and harassed by bored RC's should you become a brigade officer) inbreed and only have relationships with other SACFS staff or volunteers due to never having a life outside of SACFS.
 filtered since i've sold it that well, I might even apply for one...NOT

We volunteer to help our communities and gain satisfaction, we get paid to work!

Not to mention the intra and interstate travel at a moments notice when required!!

The old analagy you "work to live, not live to work" applies :-D
Images are copyright

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 11:47:01 AM »
 filtered since i've sold it that well, I might even apply for one...NOT

Not to mention the intra and interstate travel at a moments notice when required!!

The old analagy you "work to live, not live to work" applies :-D

Doh yeah forgot about those ones..good pick up  :-D

pumprescue

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 08:35:22 PM »
Why would you want to get a fulltime job with CFS, don't you like money !

Offline K99

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 08:37:20 PM »
Join the Mets Mate. Dont do anything for free.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning,smells like,like........VICTORY

rescue5271

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 07:29:17 AM »
Yes have to agree staff in CFS are underpaid and over worked,join the MFS they get a good wage,I did hear that there will be looking for more COMMS staff this year to help with the chnage over to SACAD so you have time to get ya typing speed up.....Good luck......

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 10:56:07 AM »
Join the Mets Mate. Dont do anything for free.

Welcome back K99, been a long time! Good to see your fishing skills haven't deteriorated, i'm sure you'll get plenty of bites with that bait..roflmfao  :-D

Darren

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 01:11:56 PM »
Yes have to agree staff in CFS are underpaid and over worked,join the MFS they get a good wage,I did hear that there will be looking for more COMMS staff this year to help with the chnage over to SACAD so you have time to get ya typing speed up.....Good luck......

The staff for that have been recruited/seconded from amongst the existing MFS staff.

rescue5271

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 02:54:54 PM »
Well there you go thanks Darren....