Author Topic: EMA Brigades  (Read 6999 times)

Offline Edster

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
EMA Brigades
« on: October 23, 2009, 06:59:22 PM »
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on minimum requirements for EMA, COQ etc etc should be?

Offline Chinny

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: EMA Brigades
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 08:10:23 PM »
Not NSA :lol:

Offline Edster

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 08:13:01 PM »
Hey...Chinny there are more EMA brigades out there other then NS/A  :wink:

Darren

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 08:15:02 PM »
At least 4 BA sets, and at least a 34P......

Offline Edster

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 09:06:05 AM »
hmm so without filtered everyone off why did Hermatige go to BLP :?

and my aim of this topic was, Do people think that if they respond with MFS for a number of calls that they should have something more then just BA or im i just stirring the pot again?

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
i can see the pure reason for Hermitage 34's time in BLP as:  they were already crewed and on the road for another call....no 5-10min delay trying to find a crew.

EMA isnt a gold star.   Every brigade should consider Change of Quarters awareness,  well...the ones that meet MFS Change of quarters requirements anyhow.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 01:58:35 PM by Zippy »

Darren

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 05:59:31 PM »
EMA brigades should be familiar with MFS procedures etc, we are "supposed" to train on high rise fires, boosting, etc etc etc.

Fill MFS stations with EMA trucks, and then back fill those CFS with non EMA brigades. Make life a lot easier for all.

Offline BundyBear

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 08:02:25 AM »
This is only my opinion and how my brigade operates.

For EMA incidents or COQ you should have 4 x BA operators on the appliance (obviously this would not be a requirement with some CFS brigades only having 2 x BA sets on some appliances) and if the appliance has RCR equipment on it crews both current in BA and RCR. Plus a Lieutenant OIC on the appliance. Also I think these appliances should at least be a 34P into urban areas.

Also these CFS stations should have their crews trained in the public safety module on operating fire alarm and suppression systems (I forget the proper module name) and I believe CFS now supply the course. These brigades need a sound understanding of SAMFS communication systems and procedures.

I think the Kilburn plastic fire not every appliance was were it should have been i.e. Hermitage's rural appliance covering an urban area. There were CFS appliances at the incident that usually cover a lot of COQ at MFS stations and Tea Tree Gully 34P was the only rescue appliance between Adelaide and Gawler for some time. So incidents of this size I think there will always be some anomalies in the response due to stretching the resources. Which will happen.

As for COQ I beleive it's something CFS could do better in the past there has not been a great history of it and was there any COQ to those urban fringe brigades that are busy stations from any other CFS stations further out?

Darren

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 08:18:11 PM »
Our station was empty for 2 hours, with 1 truck at a COQ and the other at a house fire........I asked for a COQ and got knocked back.

Offline Chinny

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 08:28:38 PM »
Hmm yeah.:? MFS or CFS decision?

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 03:31:27 PM »
Our station was empty for 2 hours, with 1 truck at a COQ and the other at a house fire........I asked for a COQ and got knocked back

We were covering your area, as well as Christies MFS for a fair whack of the night. Your station is not regarded as a 'strategic station' so you wont generally have a COQ there, the Group policy is that two neighbouring brigades must both be empty, then Morphett Vale will get a COQ from somewhere.

As for responding as an EMA brigade into MFS areas, the MOU between CFS and MFS says we need a 'B.A. qualified crew' some people take this to be 2 x operators, some say 4. The Mawson Group has told MFS (via the chain of command) that until we can train sufficient members in B.A. we will only guarantee a minimum of 2 B.A. operators.

As it stands at the moment if we don't get at least 2 B.A. crew for any type of incident in MFS area (rural fires included) we contact Adelaide Fire and let them decide if we go or not.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 12:01:15 AM »
At the very minimum I would think that any appliance going into SAMFS area should be able to complete the same tasks as the SAMFS appliance that it is replacing. Going to COQ for a Rescue Pump? Then you should have RCR gear and crew on board. A 4xCABA appliance would be the very very least I'd want sitting in a SAMFS station.

This is only my opinion and how my brigade operates.
Also these CFS stations should have their crews trained in the public safety module on operating fire alarm and suppression systems (I forget the proper module name) and I believe CFS now supply the course.

Bundy Bear, there are two PSTP courses that cover installed fire safety systems, the CFS only offer what is essentially the basic awareness course, PUAFIR206A – Check installed fire safety systems . It allows crews to interact with the FIP/EWIS on a very basic level. The next course, a step up, is PUAFIR314A - Utilise installed fire safety systems. Which oddly enough, covers the actual usage of booster systems and the like. The SACFS at this time do not offer this course.

We still are operating boosting systems and sprinkler with our heads in the sand...
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 07:09:37 AM »
What about MFS appliances that are in a strike team to CFS area.
Same problem 2 wheel drive,no crew protection, not much training on bushfires.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 07:51:12 AM »
What about MFS appliances that are in a strike team to CFS area.
Same problem 2 wheel drive,no crew protection, not much training on bushfires.

The difference being that MFS are usually sent as a strike team for asset protection, and generally dont go offroad. :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 09:00:44 AM »
yes, but a fire on a bad day or a difficult location changes things.
What about the Mt Osmond fire, still on the road

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 10:05:02 AM »
hmm...on the road near the houses at Mt Bold was one of the worse places to be..lolol

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 12:04:45 PM »
hmm...on the road near the houses at Mt Bold was one of the worse places to be..lolol

Whats the matter CnD ........dont you like playing chook lotto with falling gums :-D
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 01:01:04 AM »

Amen to that.
The road-side was where the heaviest fuel loads were, apart from the SA Water
lands. Hands up those who remember the ACT footage of 2 pumpers dying due to
embers igniting their paper air filters....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW4ItqEkuWQ  if you need a refresher.

cheers
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 08:02:39 PM »

Whats the matter CnD ........dont you like playing chook lotto with falling gums :-D

lmao Jaff.....couldnt have told u whether they were falling or not...lol....bit too smoky, then flamey so i wasnt really paying attention...lol....me thinks the shiny Scanias woulda been hightailing it at that stage...lol

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 09:47:11 PM »
showed this photo to a community fire meeting this arvo
http://www.fire-brigade.asn.au/gallery/incidents/page21photos/1-sf-warooka-(7).jpg

When I asked how many people were keen to see more roadside reveg projects,
no-one put their hands up.  Can't understand why.  :?   :wink:

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.