Author Topic: those who like a bit of the action  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Baxter

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • ho ho ho its fire fighting time
    • View Profile
those who like a bit of the action
« on: January 12, 2010, 05:59:44 PM »
Fines urged for bushfire 'gawkers' ; Sightseers a problem near bushfires (Rhys Popovic, Port Lincoln)

Locals told to get out amid code red fire warnings A push is being made to impose a 'gawkers fine' on sightseers who hang around bushfire zones.

The Port Lincoln mayor Peter Davis has met South Australia's Premier and Opposition Leader to try to win bipartisan support for such a fine.

Firefighters battling a blaze which destroyed houses at Port Lincoln recently were hampered by sightseers who congested roads to get a closer view of the bushfire.

Mr Davis says people caught by using their mobile phone cameras at bushfire scenes should be fined hundreds of dollars.

"I've taken steps with the Premier and with [Opposition Leader] Isobel Redmond for a bipartisan policy when Parliament re-sits to immediately enforce the capacity of emergency service personnel to photograph these idiots' number plates and you'll get a 'gawkers fine'," he said.

A little bit of change over funding in the SACFS but is something that all ESO can relate to the problems of the sightseers at the incident.

I remember a CFS members telling me that there were so many people wanting to be part of the action she did not know who the driver was and who needed first aid. The incident did not occur in a city or town but on the edge of a highway out in the bush. 

So people what are are your thoughts?
keep it simple for sanity skes please

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: those who like a bit of the action
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 09:37:38 PM »
need a couple of extra seats on the appliance for the "photographer" - but that should pay for itself pretty quickly!!

anything