Author Topic: Emergency services at Public arranged events  (Read 2208 times)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Emergency services at Public arranged events
« on: February 11, 2010, 10:08:47 AM »
There is some decent discussion going on in the SAAS board about who is going to do first aid at an event and what their qualifications are or should be. Reading that made be ask what about other services and events

With the recent or current hooha over the Stirling Christmas pagent and youths getting drunk and causing an issue i heard via some form of un official grape vine that SAPOL no longer want to do policing at public events similar to the pagent or the Norwood food and wine festival. My question is where should government services aka SAPOL, SAAS, CFS, MFS, SES draw the line between what they offer and do and where some form of private firm is hired?

Personally i think this type of work should be factored in to the services but it wouldn't be unreasonable for a fee to be factored in. I also have been told that the police tried to stop being involved at footy games in the past, and this failed.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency services at Public arranged events
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 11:39:03 AM »
My attitude is that emergency services are part of the public insurance cover. If you pay for the insurance on your car, you will be fully compensated. But everyone shops for the least cost & inconvenience.

The same with large public events. Everyone reduces cost (including ticket buy cost) but expects some form of emergency response (insurance) if required.

I understand that government forces a standard for emergency response to some public events. SFEC's also exist but are constanly discussed/argued in this forum.

On New Years Eve 2008, SES provided assistance at Glenelg. One paid staff and the rest volunteers. Planning & co-ordination time would also have been involved by the Region Office.

In 2009 this was withdrawn because of cost & volunteer fatigue risk. The email I saw stated SES would provide its normal emergency response to Glenelg or anywhere else as required.

Glenelg council are the organisers. Even though it is a free event to the public, I would imagiune cost is recovered via Council rates & fees. Would you like to pay more Council rates ?

I imagine the workload would have been greater in 2009 on SAAS & ST Johns. Was that the right emergency management decision on cost verses risk....dont know.

Every year SES go to Clipsal500, Adelaide Show, Tour Down Under and Big Day Out. I believe this is part of an agreed emergency response plan (SFEC) for each event. Appropriate Emergency Management Response cost verses risk.

Unknown if any cost reimbursement goes directly to SES or if this is considered a requirement has part of the yearly government funding.

I fully agree with this action regards Glenelg. But it is a damn thin line to tread between emergency service agencies providing an appropriate safety net for the public
and minimising the cost (insurance) to the government.

For example, if a foot patrol can transport a patient in a stretcher to the triage area in 5 mins, rather than the public walking the patient in 15 mins, how much treatment cost for the patient is saved at the hospital ? How much risk are we willing to take on that patient life ?

On a minor scale, at every storm event the volunteer call-takers at SES SCC get at least one or more caller stating that they cant afford a tree lopper or gardner to remove the limb on the ground. They state this should be paid under their Emergency Services Levy. But if SES/CFS/MFS respond, it is emergency services taking money from a small business for a non-emergency event.

I believe it will always be difficult to do emergency response planning and how to mitigate that risk (private companies vs emergency services or a mixed presence like at Clipsal500) without increasing cost to South Australia.

It also comes done to,
* what is our core business and is the event outside of the core business.
* can the APPROPRIATE emergency response be provided.
* does the current FUNDING allow for the cost of providing a presence or will this mean a budget item cannot be purchased because we dont have the money anymore ?
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

anything