Author Topic: NOT THE TRUCK - watch this space  (Read 29517 times)

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: NOT THE TRUCK - watch this space
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 04:26:06 PM »
The truck gets used on average 4 times a year. You have a new 34, and a new station. I'd suggest you're pretty well off.

I would wholeheartedly agree that the 24 is of more use somewhere else, not to mention that I don't believe SACFS Brigades with such a low callout rate should see brand new Appliances. Nothing wrong with a refurb! (But hey, this isn't really about SACFS appliance replacement "Strategy")

I tend to agree numbers. That said we would all be worked up if one of our trucks was being relocated but as situation comes clearer unfortunately RANGER the numbers seem to be against you..average of 4 callouts a year doesn't warrant the second truck. Id be interested to hear where it is going? or is it just going in to the "refurb" bunch?

Offline THE RANGER

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 05:35:12 PM »
Actually the the stats relate to fire call outs only relate to fire  call outs only, not MVA or trees down. Further more its the total area we cover with the two appliances the response area - keep in mind this was the merger of two brigades thus the area relates to such.  The other thing is over 50% of the call outs are fire and unlike a lot of brigades we don't have the luxury of mains water.

The new station was a result of a merger of two brigades.  This is fairly common, to allow for extra members and appliances, actually you can blame us for the low cost colourbond option compared to the high cost brick option.

Keep in mind we are not asking for a new appliance we are just asking to keep STATUS QUO, I am sure any brigade would do the same for their community.  Anyhow their are many rural and rural/urban brigades which could be next.

Another point is if we are made a single appliance station - what do we do with the existing volunteers as 1 appliance = 15 to 19 members max. Who do we kick?

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 07:59:36 PM »
Actually the the stats relate to fire call outs only relate to fire  call outs only, not MVA or trees down. Further more its the total area we cover with the two appliances the response area - keep in mind this was the merger of two brigades thus the area relates to such.  The other thing is over 50% of the call outs are fire and unlike a lot of brigades we don't have the luxury of mains water.

You don't fill out AIRS reports for ALL your incidents?

Why not give us the real stats? ALL your calls?
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline THE RANGER

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 09:06:22 PM »

You don't fill out AIRS reports for ALL your incidents?

Why not give us the real stats? ALL your calls?

You  seem to want to know allot, are you from region or something?

Again say region do get our truck... if you were Captian of your brigade who would you kick... your older, not so fast but experienced members or the younger longer term inexperienced members...?

I mean if I was in region I would ask why  are we supplying 25-30 sets of PPE and pagers to a single appliance station.

Mmm.. no wonder our police checks keep taking 12 months to come back, they have been holding our membership back by stealth..... :|
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 08:29:42 AM by CFS_Firey »

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 09:37:56 PM »
AAAH the conspiracy theory :wink:.

No what Numbers was asking was have you filled out AIRS reports for "ALL" of your brigades turnout activities, nothing more nothing less!

Now about the second shooter on the grassy knoll
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline boss

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • elvis has left the building
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 10:16:59 PM »

I have tried my best and succeeded to get 2 new members others have brought in another 6 in the last 2 years, why  :?, it the rural brigades that have the members on tap 24 / 7 because we work where we live.

gday ranger

i dont want to sound picky but the pastrol brigades have a very hard time in getting new members the brigade im in we only have 5 members including my self our next closes brigade has 4 members and not all the time they can get mobile . so any brigade that can get 3-5 new members a year and still responde a truck(s) to each call i take my hat off to you  :|
we save lives, we breath smoke, we eat ash, why do we do it? cos it's a way of life for us that we have chosen to take

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2010, 05:13:26 AM »
for 5 calls a year I'd be asking why you have a Brigade, station and appliance at all, let alone a second appliance

Offline THE RANGER

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2010, 06:38:35 AM »
for 5 calls a year I'd be asking why you have a Brigade, station and appliance at all, let alone a second appliance

Brave call my fellow volunteer, keep in mind its capacity to respond, level of risk and location. What stats are you reading?

Further more how can you get stats when we find other brigades responded to our area and we are not even paged, believe me it happens in addition why doesn't SOP 2.1 apply in reality. OK ADMIN...off topic.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2010, 07:42:24 AM »

you've misread the figures he gave, he said 68 calls over last 5 years, so average of 13.6 calls/year for the brigade.

but unfortunately it does look, by the stats and by the risks, that the brigade would have a hard time justifying both a 34 and a 24.  Maybe Ranger you should argue for a QRV or a tanker to replace the 24?

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 08:08:18 AM »
you've misread the figures he gave, he said 68 calls over last 5 years, so average of 13.6 calls/year for the brigade.

my mistake, 13 calls a year makes all the difference

Offline THE RANGER

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2010, 11:33:24 AM »
Fellow Firefighters, an update - first thanks to the members that offered support and useful comments - the ones that suggested we didn't deserve even a 24 or station if you find yourself in a similar situation don't come complain :wink: only kidding no hard feelings, we all whats best for our communities.

What happened - well we met with the region commander last night - after useful dialogue between a few of our officers -  brigade, group and region we came to a compromise.

For the time being the 24 remains however becomes a part of the regions pool, so we will look after it for all you in region 1, from time to time it may be called upon when some others brigade need to fill a hole - this happened before from time to time.  The good old 24 actually left for KI for a month or so at one time.

The past is history - time to move one "Note to self - make sure the AIRS are filled in it in our interest"

Constructive or not - it was good to get feedback from fellow firefighters (however you new who we were, we had no idea who you are, I feel sure one of the aliases could be region - because if I was in region I would watch this forum)keep the good work up.

If the Flying Doctors are the "Mantel of Safety" surely the CFS are the "Defenders of safety" because that's what we spent the last week doing for our comunity to ensure in the future we could provide them with quick reliable and sustainable fire cover.

It was fantastic to see even though we don't get the cartons of beer or donations we used to before the Emergency Services Levy - the community support was amazing.

Who know the good old RHF24 may help you out down the track - if you are lucky enough to be in Region 1.

So thanks to and for now this is the 'THE RANGER' signing off and hope to see you all again on the forum or if called to arms in the field. :-D

Darren

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2010, 12:44:14 PM »
But what happens when this truck reaches 20 years old ?

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2010, 04:23:47 PM »
But what happens when this truck reaches 20 years old ?

mmmm exactly darren... the argument will arise again.

good outcome for the meantime though.

Offline THE RANGER

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2010, 04:51:27 PM »
We are putting in an application for a QAV or TANKER we still need to go thru the application and put forward our reasons however considering our current group tanker is a semi with no truck, it a good chance it will be approved.

Further more with the number of vineyards and farm Forestry their also is an argument for a QAV.  However no chance of getting a 24 again  :-(.

In the mean time we have the good old 24, unless some damages their own, however that unlikely as Region 1 drivers are great operators. :-D We hope

Time will tell..

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2010, 04:53:58 PM »
semi with no truck, it a good chance it will be approved

hah... you assume management use common sense

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2010, 09:00:09 AM »
semi with no truck, it a good chance it will be approved

hah... you assume management use common sense

mmmmm well id assume a new BWC would be $100,000 + or could go buy a prime mover for the semi for between $30,000 - $50,000. All in All a good out come for the Brigade and in end a whole lot of WHOOOOO HAAAAA over not much  :-)

Offline THE RANGER

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2010, 09:36:18 AM »

mmmmm well id assume a new BWC would be $100,000 + or could go buy a prime mover for the semi for between $30,000 - $50,000. All in All a good out come for the Brigade and in end a whole lot of WHOOOOO HAAAAA over not much  :-)

First - In defence of the CFS they buy new because reliability is critical
Second - Finding a brigade that can fit a 36" trailer and prime mover in their shed.
Third - Every group should have a tanker for a quick response, I feel sure your group has.

Darren

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2010, 10:06:25 AM »
If you are buying a prime mover for 20-50 grand then its either done 5 million kms or its well over 20 years old...can't see that happening.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2010, 04:43:50 PM »
And a number of BWC have been built on 24 + year old chassis in the last few years.....however I suspect it comes down to either second hand chassis (which have spent their whole life in CFS), or no BWC at all.....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Darren

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2010, 05:25:09 PM »
Oh I realise that, but they aren't going out and buying old trucks though.

Offline 24pumper

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2010, 07:14:23 PM »
Oh I realise that, but they aren't going out and buying old trucks though.

Unless its from the UK via NZ :)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2010, 08:24:02 AM »
LOL and we know where that one is sitting now :roll:

To put it simply CFS are maximising the use of an appliance by refurbing them as BWC's.Ours was a classic example, take away a great reliable appliance which had chassis rust, and stick it in a yard for 2 years before deciding what to do with it.

It is now Wattle Range BWC,

I saw the dilemma faced by Range/Hope Forest on the news, and it is a step backwards removing an appliance in a high fire risk area, bounded by Kuitpo Forest!!

Images are copyright

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2010, 11:47:04 AM »
did they use the word "Strategic" at any time?     :evil:

Desert Dweller

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2010, 02:01:28 PM »
quote - OF 68 call outs in the last 5 years RHF 24 has been responded 23 times, more importantly in the last 2 years we have had 14 call outs for fires of witch RHF 24 responded to 9 that over 60% of the time.  It also shows the need for increased protection as in some cases this is due to RHF 34 being tasked elsewhere.  :-o
WTF i'm sorry you have got to be kidding !!!

No wonder BOBB - Big Over Baring filtered(RC1) has decided to take away an under utilised vehicle!!!
It would hardly require servicing with such a low call rate.

Darren

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2010, 05:21:13 PM »
You could prbably say that for most of the CFS, the vast majority doing under 30 calls a year.

A tanker would be more a pprpriate for this area as they currently don't have an easily respondible tanker.

anything