Author Topic: Is this a sign for the future ?  (Read 8386 times)

Darren

Is this a sign for the future ?
« on: August 01, 2010, 07:39:10 PM »
WAIT INFO: URGENT MEETING FOR ALL WAITPINGA BRIGADE MEMBERS CALLED FOR THIS THUR 5TH 7.30PM AT GROUP CENTRE. TO DETERMINE FUTURE VIABILITY OF BRIGADE DUE TO ONGOING FAILURE TO RESPOND. FROM GO VH-SubBase 1/08/10 - CFS Waitpinga Response

I am sure it won't be the last brigade to be in trouble, for that matter I am sure it won't be the only service that loses brigades/units.

Sad day for the Waitpinga members

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a sign for the future ?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 08:34:09 PM »
seems to be the way a lot of country brigades are heading..lets hope they band 2 getha and make more of an effort without knowing the circumstances it is hard for us to judge! Good luck guys

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 09:09:52 PM »
Not sure but i did hear that most of their members lived in Victor? Probably a lot more brigades in the same boat that havent surfaced yet.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 10:17:57 PM by safireservice »
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 12:45:05 AM »
Victor Harbour could and should be the first chance to trial a Integrated Brigade.  (Paid and Volunteers).  Port Lincoln was a missed opportunity...

Looking at the statistics for Victor MFS, they respond to 20 grasses & a lot of alarms. Having  Pump/Rescue, 1 Pump, 1 Pump/Tank & 1 Tanker would make it an even mix to respond to a variety of jobs.

Offline riptide

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 03:36:36 AM »
I agree, we don't know what is going on down there so we can't judge!!! All we can hope is that the solution ends up being in the best interests of the LOCAL community, 

Darren

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 02:02:22 PM »
I wasn't having a go at them, but just saying is this a sign of the times and things to come.

Hopefully they can come to some sort of arrangement, but also good to see they aren't going to just flog a dead horse. It's up to the locals to get behind it, but if they aren't, then thats just the way it is. Like a lot of areas there simply might not be anyone to do it.

Offline K99

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 07:46:47 PM »
Victor Harbour could and should be the first chance to trial a Integrated Brigade.  (Paid and Volunteers).  Port Lincoln was a missed opportunity...

Looking at the statistics for Victor MFS, they respond to 20 grasses & a lot of alarms. Having  Pump/Rescue, 1 Pump, 1 Pump/Tank & 1 Tanker would make it an even mix to respond to a variety of jobs.

Haha You cant be serious. Combined station of paid and voluteers, yeah that would go down just fine. I can see the arguments now.

BTW Victor MFS responds to nearly 250 calls a year
I love the smell of napalm in the morning,smells like,like........VICTORY

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 08:08:08 PM »

Haha You cant be serious. Combined station of paid and voluteers, yeah that would go down just fine. I can see the arguments now.

UFU would never allow it.....
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline robin14

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 10:08:40 PM »
Why cant there be combined retained and permanent stations in the MFS, there are heaps of them in NSW

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 10:23:08 PM »

wow, almost gets them in the top 10 of CFS responding Brigades....almost  :wink:

Darren

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 01:25:18 PM »
There already is paid and retained stations. Probably will be more in the future, they are talking about paid and vols, 2 different services. Be like having an RFS truck and a NSWFB perm truck in one station.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 01:37:58 PM »
The outcome of this will be intresting.

The issue for almost the entire victor harbour group is that the people live in teh town and the fire stations are out of the town. There has been intense recruitment advertising within victor for the last few years now. Perhaps putting a CFS station in or on the edge of the town would be a good move ending up with a similar system to say Woomera.

Darren

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 05:37:22 PM »
I don't see why you can't have a fire station on the edge of the town but responding out, not everyone can be in the retained due to their restrictions.

Also can't expect the MFS to keep responding further and further out of the town.

Isn't Waitpinga station not far from Victor itself ?

But I am sure there are more in this boat, and some areas aren't anywhere near large towns so the future doesn't look bright.

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 07:08:58 PM »
The outcome of this will be intresting.

The issue for almost the entire victor harbour group is that the people live in teh town and the fire stations are out of the town. There has been intense recruitment advertising within victor for the last few years now. Perhaps putting a CFS station in or on the edge of the town would be a good move ending up with a similar system to say Woomera.

or...umm...like Port Lincoln?  :?

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 05:36:32 PM »
Funny - a lot of cranks on this site, where happy to fling mud at other services when they were having difficulty recruiting, now when its one of our own, its a differnent story........
Regardless of the service or pay scale, its a sad day when members of the community are unable to assist their own community through the provision of emergency services.
For the sake of the community, lets how comon sence prevails and the community can rally benid their emergency services
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.